RE:Chicago Lenten Clergy Resolution

  • Bushunow, Peter
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
      Excerpts from

      >Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:53:20 -0500
      >From: "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...>
      >Subject: Chicago Lenten Clergy Resolution (March 22, 2006)

      >Resolution of the Pastoral Retreat of the Diocese of Chicago & Detroit
      9/22 March, 2006
      >Holy 40 Martyrs of Sebaste

      >Russian Church. At the same time, we grieve and pray for those of our
      brethren who in the
      >light of current events are troubled, and for that reason suffer
      spiritually.

      >Accepted Unanimously by the Assembled Clergy of the Diocese

      Father John,

      Congratulations to your Diocese for being able to achieve unanimous
      consensus on such a controversial issue. What more is there to say if
      all the concerns raised have been resolved or dismissed?

      Thank you for praying for those of us who feel this union is woefully
      premature and reckless. I am indeed suffering. I do hope that you also
      keep praying for those who are ready to join up with the MP. Just in
      case.

      And to Dimitra, who writes "Therein lies the danger making one's
      identity dependent more on being "against" what is wrong than being
      "for" what is right...." I reply that BOTH knowing the truth and
      denying falsehood is important. The church anathematizes those who
      attempt to lead into error. Great evils are frequently done in the name
      of "love," and "brotherhood," usually with the best of intentions.

      Do good and avoid evil.

      Peter

      are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system.

      This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
      the presence of computer viruses.

      Thank You,
      Viahealth
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
        Peter Bushunoff wrote:

        > I am indeed suffering. I do hope that you also
        > keep praying for those who are ready to join up with the MP. Just in
        > case.

        JRS: I don't think anyone now is ready to leave ROCOR to join the MP, unless they live in some
        place where there is no ROCOR community, or unless there is some problem in a given
        parish. I am also optimistic that nobody is going to leave ROCOR out of fear of the planned
        reconciliation. ROCOR is not being absorbed or abolished.

        And, yes, it is dangerous if we base our whole outlook on being for or against some
        secondary issue, such as this.

        The main issue for us (and for the members of the Moscow Patriarchate) should be to live as
        behooves Orthodox Christians.

      • michael nikitin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
          Spiritually ROCOR is being absorbed. What the MP does(WCC,ecumenism,etc...), reflects on the spirituality of ROCOR. MP/ROCOR will share the same cup.

          Michael N

          "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:
          Peter Bushunoff wrote:

          > I am indeed suffering. I do hope that you also
          > keep praying for those who are ready to join up with the MP. Just in
          > case.

          JRS: I don't think anyone now is ready to leave ROCOR to join the MP, unless they live in some
          place where there is no ROCOR community, or unless there is some problem in a given
          parish. I am also optimistic that nobody is going to leave ROCOR out of fear of the planned
          reconciliation. ROCOR is not being absorbed or abolished.

          And, yes, it is dangerous if we base our whole outlook on being for or against some
          secondary issue, such as this.

          The main issue for us (and for the members of the Moscow Patriarchate) should be to live as
          behooves Orthodox Christians.

        • DDD
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
            I agree, Peter, that one needs to know the truth and deny falsehood. Notice I said **more on**being against what is wrong--meaning to the point where, when the wrong is cleared up, this kind of person continues to protest.
            A case in point is Metr. Philaret's list of 16 points wrong with the MP. He said that, *until these points were addressed and made right by the MP** (my words here, quoting from memory), ROCOR would protest the MP. He did't say "After these points are made right we will continue to protest." Now, in 2006, all of the points or almost all of the points (depending on your views) *have* been corrected. By Metr. Philaret's own conditions, ROCOR would no longer have to protest. One example: He protested that the communists had recently forbidden children under 18 to partake of the Body and Blood of Christ (note he referred to MP Mysteries as "the Body and Blood of Christ"). Children under 18 in Russia now, in the MP, are certainly allowed to partake of the Body and Blood of Christ.
            Who cannot say this issue has not been cleared up?
            But some do. How? By stating that MP Mysteries are not the Body and Blood of Christ, that there is no grace in them. This is the kind of thing I am talking about.
            I understand there will be some discussion as to whether certain issues have been cleared up sufficiently. It's when it is clearly proven they have, and people still deny it, that is what I am talking about.

            Yours,
            Dimitra

            Bushunow, Peter wrote:
            �And to Dimitra, who writes "Therein lies the danger making one's
            �identity dependent more on being "against" what is wrong than being
            �"for" what is right...." �I reply that BOTH knowing the truth and
            �denying falsehood is important. �The church anathematizes those who
            �attempt to lead into error. �Great evils are frequently done in the
            �name of "love," and "brotherhood," usually with the best of
            �intentions.

            �Do good and avoid evil.

            �Peter
          • Aleksandra Thompson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
              The main issue for us (and for the members of the Moscow Patriarchate) should be to live as behooves Orthodox Christians.

              So aptly put!