All-Diaspora Council Questions

  • morechoff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
      A couple of question on the All-Diaspora Council to be held in May 6 -14.

      1. Is there a list of participants that is available and can be shared?
      2. Will all the Bishops be attending from day 1 (May 6th)?
      3. Is there an agenda available?
      4. Are there members of the clergy/laity that are not the ones selected by the dioceses participating by presenting speeches/views?
      5. Will there be daily announcements issued on the proceedings and will they be posted on the internet?
      6. Will the council be video taped? It will be a historical occasion.
      7. How will the meeting work? What will happen during the 9 days? Why 9 days? Will it take all 9 days? What happens if on Day 1 a vote is taken and all are against working with MP? What will happen day to day? Are there working documents that need to be approved by the council? Will there be sub committees formed to determine what the next step(s) will be? Will the council determine a timeline for events that need to occur? For example, communion for ROCOR members will be allowed in MP churches on Day X, on day Y clergy of both churches can concelebrate, etc.
      8. Will the Moscow Patriarchate members of the commision participate?
      9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?

      Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to decide.

      Thanks!

    • Protopriest David Moser
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

        > A couple of question on the All-Diaspora Council to be held in May 6 -14.

        I can't answer all the questions - but I will share what I know:
        First, I guessing that a lot of the information you are asking about will be on the website www.sobor2006.com but right now that website is still under construction.

        > 1. Is there a list of participants that is available and can be shared?

        I assume there is a complete list somewhere but afaik it hasn't been published. The names of the delegates chosen by each of the various dioceses have been published in various reports, but not a single list all in one place.

        > 2. Will all the Bishops be attending from day 1 (May 6th)?

        One would assume since this is an opportunity them to hear the voices of the poeple. They were all present every day at the all diaspora clergy conference in Nyack.

        > 3. Is there an agenda available?

        The schedule will be posted on the website

        > 4. Are there members of the clergy/laity that are not the ones selected by the dioceses participating by presenting speeches/views?

        yes, the speakers will not necessarily be elected delegates.

        > 5. Will there be daily announcements issued on the proceedings and will they be posted on the internet?

        Don't know.

        > 6. Will the council be video taped? It will be a historical occasion.

        Don't know

        > 7. How will the meeting work? What will happen during the 9 days? Why 9 days? Will it take all 9 days? What happens if on Day 1 a vote is taken and all are against working with MP? What will happen day to day? Are there working documents that need to be approved by the council? Will there be sub committees formed to determine what the next step(s) will be? Will the council determine a timeline for events that need to occur? For example, communion for ROCOR members will be allowed in MP churches on Day X, on day Y clergy of both churches can concelebrate, etc.

        9 days to encompass 2 weekends so that we can begin with liturgy and end with liturgy. There will be presentations regarding the situation with the MP for the first half of the conference with some kind of a resolution made by the delegates at the end of that period. The last part of the conference will be dedicated to presentations and discussions regarding the future direction of our Church in other matters such as youth, missions, etc.

        > 8. Will the Moscow Patriarchate members of the commision participate?

        No one other than ROCOR members will be present at the meetings other than the invited observer from the Serbian Church who will be present but will not participate.

        > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?

        yes

        > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to decide.

        I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you are correct in that the resolutions of the assembly are recommendations to the hierarchal sobor, but that any decisions are up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod) itself

        Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
        Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor

        Protopriest David Moser
        Boise, ID
        email: moserd@...
      • morechoff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
          Thank you Father David. Good information!

          Who is creating the www.sobor2006.com website? Is it an official ROCOR website for the Sobor? This will be a very good way to share information and I am sure will get a great deal of hits. Hits will start today as most, I think, did not know the site existed. No info yet on the site but it should come online this month is what the site says.

          How were the speakers choosen? Was it based on their knowledge base of the history of ROCOR/MP?

          Following the meeting will there be a visit to Metropilitan Herman of the OCA to brief him on the events that occured? Likewise, is there a plan to visit Partriarch Alexy soon after the meeting?

          On a side note will a new Bishop for South America be selected in Sobor?

> [...]

          > 8. Will the Moscow Patriarchate members of the commision participate?

          No one other than ROCOR members will be present at the meetings other than the
          invited observer from the Serbian Church who will be present but will not
          participate.

          > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?

          yes

          > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not
          binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to decide.

          I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you are correct
          in that the resolutions of the assembly are recommendations to the hierarchal
          sobor, but that any decisions are up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod)
          itself

          Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
          Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • frvictor@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
            Concerning question two, remember that all the bishops are delegates of the Sobor as well....so of course they will be there. There cannot be a Sobor without them.
            Priest Victor Boldewskul

            From: "Protopriest David Moser" <moserd@...>

> [...]
            >
            > No one other than ROCOR members will be present at the meetings other than the
            > invited observer from the Serbian Church who will be present but will not
            > participate.
            >
            > > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?
            >
            > yes
            >
            > > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not
            > binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to decide.
            >
            > I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you are correct
            > in that the resolutions of the assembly are recommendations to the hierarchal
            > sobor, but that any decisions are up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod)
            > itself
            >
            > Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
            > Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor
            >
            > Protopriest David Moser
            > St Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

          • Protopriest David Moser
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

              > Who is creating the www.sobor2006.com website?

              I believe the committee that is charged with organizing the 4th All Diaspora Assembly (not to be confused with the "joint committee" for discussions with the MP). This committee is under the guidance of Archbishop Hilarion, however, it is my guess that one of the committee members is doing the actual website.

              > Is it an official ROCOR website for the Sobor?

              Don't know for sure, but it would seem that way.

              > Hits will start today

              Keep in mind the site is still under construction so there is absolutely no information available at present (probably not until the last part of March)

              > How were the speakers choosen? Was it based on their knowledge base of the history of ROCOR/MP?

              The speakers were chosen by the above mentioned committee. They chose speakers that they thought would be knowlegeable in the issues at hand. I do not know the specific criteria.

              > Following the meeting will there be a visit to Metropilitan Herman of the OCA to brief him on the events that occured?

              Why? He is not involved in this at all.

              > Likewise, is there a plan to visit Partriarch Alexy soon after the meeting?

              I would presume that all those arrangements are made through the joint committee and if there are any plans, nothing has been made public.

              > On a side note will a new Bishop for South America be selected in Sobor?

              That's way out of my depth - I don't even have a clue.

              Protopriest David Moser
              Boise, ID
              email: moserd@...
            • Gilbert Gamboa
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                I have a friend couple who just moved to Thunder Bay Canada- northwest coast of lake superior and are in need of the closest Rocor church, does anyone know canada that can direct us to the closest Rocor Church

                Protopriest David Moser <moserd@...> wrote:
> [...]

                > 8. Will the Moscow Patriarchate members of the commision participate?

                No one other than ROCOR members will be present at the meetings other than the invited observer from the Serbian Church who will be present but will not participate.

                > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?

                yes

                > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to decide.

                I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you are correct in that the resolutions of the assembly are recommendations to the hierarchal sobor, but that any decisions are up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod) itself

                Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
                Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor

                Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                  That makes me ponder... What happens if a Bishop is sick or cannot attend
                  for some reason. Does the Sobor have to be postponed? Is there such a thing
                  as a quorum?

                  From: "Protopriest David Moser" <moserd@...>

> [...]
                  > participate.
                  >
                  > > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?
                  >
                  > yes
                  >
                  > > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not
                  > binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to
                  decide.

                  > I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you are
                  correct
                  > in that the resolutions of the assembly are recommendations to the
                  hierarchal
                  > sobor, but that any decisions are up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the
                  Synod)
                  > itself
                  >
                  > Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
                  > Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor
                  >
                  > Protopriest David Moser
                  > St Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

                  _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/B6T8nB/Vp3LAA/EcBKAA/m.VolB/TM)

                • steve liabotis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                    Winnipeg would be the closest ROCOR church in Canada. It is only 8 hours away :(

                    Fr. Stelian Liabotis
                    Ottawa, Canada
> [...]

                    > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?

                    yes

                    > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions are not binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the Synod to decide.

                    I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you are correct in that the resolutions of the assembly are recommendations to the hierarchal sobor, but that any decisions are up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod) itself

                    Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
                    Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor

                    Protopriest David Moser
                    Boise, ID
                    email: moserd@...

                    Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

                  • Philosoph
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 8, 2006
                      However there is a Serbian Mission and a Greek Church in Thunderbay.

                      St George Serbian Orthodox Mission
                      2835 Dawson Rd.
                      Thunder Bay, ON P7B 1K9
                      (807) 767-9593

                      Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
                      651 Beverly Street
                      Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5X1
                      (807) 344-9522
                    • cantor71
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                        I am here in Canada - Toronto - but there is no ROCOR church close
                        to Thundetr Bay, unfortunately. It is a beautiful location but not
                        close to anything!

                        I just looked it up in mapquest and the distance to Winnipeg, MB is
                        440 mi., and to Minneapolis, MN is about 350. I am in Toronto, about
                        975 mi away!

                        But wherever they wish to go to a ROCOR parish in Canada, let me
                        know, and I can help arrange a place to stay - and, I hope, a warm
                        welcome.

                        George Skok
                        Toronto

                        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Gilbert Gamboa <text164@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        present but will not participate.

                        > > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?
                        >
                        > yes
                        >
                        > > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions
                        are not binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the
                        Synod to decide.

                        > I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you
                        are correct in that the resolutions of the assembly are
                        recommendations to the hierarchal sobor, but that any decisions are
                        up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod) itself

                        > Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
                        > Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor
                        >
                        > Protopriest David Moser
                        > St Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church (ROCOR)
                        > Boise, ID
                        > email: moserd@...

                        > Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek

                        Service.

                        > ---------------------------------

                      • Fr. Gregory Williams
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                          Actually, Houghton MI is probably closest to Thunder Bay... By boat!

                          In Christ Jesus,
                          Fr. Gregory Williams

                          The Saint John of Kronstadt Press
                          The Haitian Orthodox Mission
                          The Orthodox Church of the Annunciation/Agape Community
                          1180 Orthodox Way
                          Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

                          Catalog of books & recordings: www.sjkp.org
                          Information on the Haitian Mission: www.orthodoxhaiti.org
                          Information on Church of the Annunciation: www.annunciation.us

                          Phone: (615) 536-5239
                          FAX: (615) 536-5945
                          E-mail: frgregory@...
                        • frraphver
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                            The closest rocor parish to Thunder Bay, Ont. is in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
                            By 'close' though we mean about 700 kms.

                            If this couple wishes they can phone me at (204)586-4152.

                            In Christ- Fr Raphael Vereshack
                            priest of Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church (rocor)
                            Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada