Re: [orthodox-synod] RE: Who Is Really Behind the Schisms?

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
      wow, it took a medical doctor to succinctly diagnose our ecclesiastical "obstructions"

      "Bushunow, Peter" <peter.bushunow@...> wrote:
      Father Alexander Lebedeff writes:
      >Who is really behind the splitting up of the Russian Orthodox Church
      >Outside of Russia at the present time, and whose end does it really
      serve?

      >I address those who are in these split-off groups:

      >Do you realize whose cause you are serving by separating from your
      >lawful hierarchy and justifying this separation?

      >With love in Christ,

      >Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

      Yes, Father, these splits are a tragedy! They are indeed the work of
      the devil and his helpers. But you have put the cause on its head.
      These splits were precipitated exactly because ROCOR began approaching
      the MP to negotiate. They were worsened because priests and bishops,
      without prior authorization and consensus of the synod of bishops and a
      proper sobor began communicating with those in another jurisdiction.
      Yes, this indeed is how the soviet, God hating authorities work, by
      dividing and conquering, by confusing, by sophistry.

      It is absolutely inappropriate to conclude that we should just join with
      those who are influenced by the soviet system, and so tragic that many
      of the proponents of subservience to the MP have condemned their
      brothers and sisters in the diaspora who do not agree with them.

      Yes, let us make sure we retain communion in our own part of the Russian
      church before we approach such difficult and controversial questions as
      eccliastic acceptance of the MP.

      Peter

      are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system.

      This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
      the presence of computer viruses.

      Thank You,
      Viahealth

      Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
        Peter Bushunow wrote:

        > But you have put the cause on its head.
        > These splits were precipitated exactly because ROCOR began approaching
        > the MP to negotiate.

        JRS: HOCNA left ROCOR in 1986, ROAC in 1995, and ROCiE in 2001.

        But the breakthrough in relations with the Moscow Patriarchate only came in the fall of 2003,
        when President Putin and Metropolitan Laurus finally met in New York.

        So what is "on its head" is the above statement.

        The splits had already come years before there was any offical ROCOR contact with the MP
        bishops.

        Furthermore, the first steps were not taken by ROCOR.

        > They were worsened because priests and bishops,
        > without prior authorization and consensus of the synod of bishops and a
        > proper sobor began communicating with those in another jurisdiction.

        JRS: On the contrary, the question of such meetings were discussed and decided by the
        Synod of Bishops, after the invitation by President Putin, and before Metropolitan Laurus
        went to Russia (in May of 2004) or meetings with the Patriarchal bishops began.

      • frvictor@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
          I see things from a different angle than Dr. Bushunow, for whom I have great love and respect. The cause of divisions started well before we entered dialog with the Moscow Patriachate. The Epistle from the Sobor of Bishops in 2000 (under the chairmanship of Metropolitan Vitaly), noted with sorrow the divisions within our Church at that time! Not only was this well before any official dialog between the two parts of the Russian Church, but even before the academic conferences which first occurred in Hungary under the guidance of Bishop Daniel of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

          The cause of any problems now, it seems to me, is a direct result of disobedience or rather lack of faith in the Church. I remember Dr. Bushunow's rector, Fr. Gregory, stating on a number of occasions in his class on Pastoral Theology over a decade ago, that if we all simply listen to our bishops, and if we were obedient to them, there would be no problems in our Church. While this may be a rather simplistic statement, it was at its core a sound statement of Orthodox faith rooted in the writings of the Church Fathers such as St. Ignatius the God-bearer. I think this echoes well Fr. Alexander's point, which was made from a different starting point, that is history of the Russian Church, as opposed to simply faith.

          There is something else I wish to respond to. The record clearly shows that we are not "just" joining "with those who are influenced by the soviet system." Just as they are not "just" joining those who are influenced by Western materialism, protestant attitude, and problematic democratic concepts as some in Russia believe. [Remember, there are those who are opposed to this in Russia because, among other things, we have accepted Social Securety numbers, pay taxes to a government which bombed an Orthodox country Serbia, and our president in not an Orthodox Christian nor takes Holy Communion in the Orthodox Church! Others are oppposed to this because this would reaffirm the liturgical and theological conservatism within the Moscow Patriarchate.]

          What has occured in the history of the Russian Church over the past two years is a thorough, painstaking, and very long process of honest dialog -- and for the first time mutual listening -- vis-�-vis the total sum of issues that have concerned the Russian Church Abroad for almost a century. We will not just join. If that perception exists, than I suggest a systematic review of all that has been posted on the Synod website over the past three years. The reality is that it is possible that our bishops may now decide that the time has come to remove the ecclesiastical hindrances for concelebration which our bishops imposed, since the historical circumstance of division as noted in our Constitution have vanished, and that the dogmatic and canonical issues seemed to have been resolved in accordance to Orthodox Church Tradition as expressed in the joint documents.

          I wish to make two other points at this time. First, historically the Church has resolved much more serious issues in the past, over a much shorter period of time. Second, I am actually encouraged by what I have heard in talking to a number of people over the past two weeks. There are a number of delegates to the Sobor who still have questions, concerns, and nervous about reconciliation. However, all with whom I have spoken to, have great trust in our First Hierarch and the Counciliar judgments of our Sobor of Bishops. Thus, while different opinions may perhaps be expressed to the benefit of Church, I sense today that nearly all will uphold the Orthodox Christian concept of obedience to the conciliar decisions of the our hierarchs. I think this unity would give joy to not only to Fr. Alexander, myself, and Dr. Bushunow, but to all members of the Russian Church Abroad, and friends of the Russian Church Abroad on this list.

          Wishing all a fruitful Great Lent,
          Priest Victor Boldewskul
          From: "Bushunow, Peter" <peter.bushunow@...>

          > Father Alexander Lebedeff writes:
          > >Who is really behind the splitting up of the Russian Orthodox Church
          > >Outside of Russia at the present time, and whose end does it really
          > serve?
          >
          > >I address those who are in these split-off groups:
          >
          > >Do you realize whose cause you are serving by separating from your
          > >lawful hierarchy and justifying this separation?
          >
          > >With love in Christ,
          >
          > >Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
          >
          > Yes, Father, these splits are a tragedy! They are indeed the work of
          > the devil and his helpers. But you have put the cause on its head.
          > These splits were precipitated exactly because ROCOR began approaching
          > the MP to negotiate. They were worsened because priests and bishops,
          > without prior authorization and consensus of the synod of bishops and a
          > proper sobor began communicating with those in another jurisdiction.
          > Yes, this indeed is how the soviet, God hating authorities work, by
          > dividing and conquering, by confusing, by sophistry.
          >
          > It is absolutely inappropriate to conclude that we should just join with
          > those who are influenced by the soviet system, and so tragic that many
          > of the proponents of subservience to the MP have condemned their
          > brothers and sisters in the diaspora who do not agree with them.
          >
          > Yes, let us make sure we retain communion in our own part of the Russian
          > church before we approach such difficult and controversial questions as
          > eccliastic acceptance of the MP.
          >
          > Peter

          > are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from
          > your system.
          >
          > This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
          > the presence of computer viruses.
          >
          > Thank You,
          > Viahealth

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • gene703
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 4, 2006
            It is hard on the surface to disagree with a single word you say. But, if you examine some assumptions underlying your argument things do look a bit different. Let me argue for the paranoid side because as president Nixon once said "even paranoid people have enemies" :-)

            Russian church does look very different from 20 years ago, no doubt. But who allowed it to evolve into what it is now and who are the people currently constituting it's upper management ? It's a common knowledge that perestroika was closely managed by KGB, it is also a common knowledge that all Russian political parties are created and controlled directly from Kremlin, where since 2000 "Piterskie Siloviki" are officially in charge. What makes you think situation in Russian Church is any different ? Can you be 100% sure there is no Mr. Tuchkov Jr. from the Committee on Cults Control still lurking somewhere in the background with dossiers in hand ? Didn't THEY directly appoint current Patriarch and many of his senior bishops to their posts ? Would it be to paranoid to suggest that the whole Orthodox renaissance of the last 20 years was a Potemkin's village to a large degree at least in the ranks of upper management ? Then again, who can deny that millions of Russian people are back
            in church taling communion ? Lord does work in mysterious ways.

            So, next time you speak to one of these negotiators from Moscow ask yourself a question. Could it be that the person I am talking to, person wearing podryasnik and a pectoral cross or a panagia is actually a highly trained intelligence operative who speaks church language and will say pretty much anything to get you from point A to point B while really advancing the cause of Russian Federation foreign policy as defined by "siloviki" ? President Putin himself showing up in Synod was sure weird. Can you imagine American president adjudicating church politics ?

            While we are on the subject of politics and presidents. We did not bomb orthodox Serbia, we bombed communist Serbia that was standing in the way of our geopolitical interest in Southern Europe and while our President is surely not Orthodox he is a real born again Christian who consciously let Jesus into his heart after series of conversation with Rev. Graham and who attend church regularly with Bible in hand which I actually find very admirable.

            yours truly
            Gene T

            frvictor@... wrote:
[...]

            What has occured in the history of the Russian Church over the past two years is a thorough, painstaking, and very long process of honest dialog -- and for the first time mutual listening -- vis-à-vis the total sum of issues that have concerned the Russian Church Abroad for almost a century. We will not just join. If that perception exists, than I suggest a systematic review of all that has been posted on the Synod website over the past three years. The reality is that it is possible that our bishops may now decide that the time has come to remove the ecclesiastical hindrances for concelebration which our bishops imposed, since the historical circumstance of division as noted in our Constitution have vanished, and that the dogmatic and canonical issues seemed to have been resolved in accordance to Orthodox Church Tradition as expressed in the joint documents.

            From: "Bushunow, Peter"

            > Father Alexander Lebedeff writes:
            > >Who is really behind the splitting up of the Russian Orthodox Church
            > >Outside of Russia at the present time, and whose end does it really
            > serve?
            >
            > >I address those who are in these split-off groups:
            >
            > >Do you realize whose cause you are serving by separating from your
            > >lawful hierarchy and justifying this separation?
            >
            > >With love in Christ,
            >
            > >Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
            >
            > Yes, Father, these splits are a tragedy! They are indeed the work of
            > the devil and his helpers. But you have put the cause on its head.
            > These splits were precipitated exactly because ROCOR began approaching
            > the MP to negotiate. They were worsened because priests and bishops,
            > without prior authorization and consensus of the synod of bishops and a
            > proper sobor began communicating with those in another jurisdiction.
            > Yes, this indeed is how the soviet, God hating authorities work, by
            > dividing and conquering, by confusing, by sophistry.
            >
            > It is absolutely inappropriate to conclude that we should just join with
            > those who are influenced by the soviet system, and so tragic that many
            > of the proponents of subservience to the MP have condemned their
            > brothers and sisters in the diaspora who do not agree with them.
            >
            > Yes, let us make sure we retain communion in our own part of the Russian
            > church before we approach such difficult and controversial questions as
            > eccliastic acceptance of the MP.
            >
            > Peter

            > are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from
            > your system.
            >
            > This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
            > the presence of computer viruses.
            >
            > Thank You,
            > Viahealth

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • boulia_1
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 4, 2006
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@...> wrote:

              > While we are on the subject of politics and presidents. We did
              not bomb orthodox Serbia, we bombed communist Serbia that was
              standing in the way of our geopolitical interest in Southern Europe
              and while our President is surely not Orthodox he is a real born
              again Christian who consciously let Jesus into his heart after series
              of conversation with Rev. Graham and who attend church regularly with
              Bible in hand which I actually find very admirable.

              We bombed Orthodox Serbia, supposedly defending Kosovo on the behalf
              of those poor (Muslim) "ethnic Albanians" (what exactly was the
              geopolitical interest again?). That was under that "protivnaya Baba"
              Albright and her boss, Wee Willy Clinton. Who, by the way, loved to
              wave to the cameras as HE walked to church, Bible in hand. I'm not
              dissing President Bush or necessarily questioning his belief in our
              Lord. But, if we're going to be cynical about our leaders (such as
              Bishops and such), then let's not be naive about those photo-ops that
              make our "God-fearing" (?!) commanders-in-chief look so "admirable."

              elizabeth
            • Vladimir Kozyreff
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 4, 2006
                Dear Elizabeth,

                The strategic interest for the US to have bases in Kosovo is obvious.

                Who admires Presidents Clinton and Bush? We just learned today that Prime Minister Blair too listens to God when making decisions on Iraq. Strange how they slander our Tsars for being orthodox, and nevertheless see themselves too as anointed by God.

                "L'homme n'est ni ange ni bête, et le malheur veut que qui veut fairel'ange fait la bête" (Bl.Pascal, Pensées)

                "Man is neither an angel nor a beast, and it is unfortunate that whoever wants to act as an angel acts as a beast".

                >> While we are on the subject of politics and presidents. We did
                > not bomb orthodox Serbia, we bombed communist Serbia that was
                > standing in the way of our geopolitical interest in Southern Europe
                > and while our President is surely not Orthodox he is a real born
                > again Christian who consciously let Jesus into his heart after series
                > of conversation with Rev. Graham and who attend church regularly with
                > Bible in hand which I actually find very admirable.
                >>

                > We bombed Orthodox Serbia, supposedly defending Kosovo on the behalf
                > of those poor (Muslim) "ethnic Albanians" (what exactly was the
                > geopolitical interest again?). That was under that "protivnaya Baba"
                > Albright and her boss, Wee Willy Clinton. Who, by the way, loved to
                > wave to the cameras as HE walked to church, Bible in hand. I'm not
                > dissing President Bush or necessarily questioning his belief in our
                > Lord. But, if we're going to be cynical about our leaders (such as
                > Bishops and such), then let's not be naive about those photo-ops that
                > make our "God-fearing" (?!) commanders-in-chief look so "admirable."
                >
                > elizabeth

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mitin, Stiva
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2006
                  On 3/4/06, gene703 <gene703@...> wrote:

                  > 2000 "Piterskie Siloviki" are officially in charge. What makes you think
                  > situation in Russian Church is any different ? Can you be 100% sure there is
                  > no Mr. Tuchkov Jr. from the Committee on Cults Control still lurking
                  > somewhere in the background with dossiers in hand ? Didn't THEY directly
                  > appoint current Patriarch and many of his senior bishops to their posts ?
                  > Would it be to paranoid to suggest that the whole Orthodox renaissance of
                  > the last 20 years was a Potemkin's village to a large degree at least in the
                  > ranks of upper management ? Then again, who can deny that millions of
                  > Russian people are back in church taling communion ? Lord does work in
                  > mysterious ways.

                  I too have thought of the Potemkin Village scenario. However, there needs
                  to be a reason for building the village...

                  1) The whole thing is a plot to ensnare ROCOR and do away with it once and
                  for all/gain all her valuable real estate. I dismissed this since, ROCOR is
                  such a tiny drop in the ocean and I can't figure out what the cost-benefit
                  would be (after all, millions and millions have been spent in
                  rebuilding/refurbishing/regilding in Russia.. for what, all to swallo
                  ROCOR?). Also, this would have to be one heck of a village, since so many
                  zarubezhniki have travelled to Russia and witnessed Orthodox life in so many
                  areas and places; it is impossible for "those behind the scenes" to have
                  built Potemkin villages all over Russia (If you doubt this, just surf the
                  net and visit all the Orthodox sites in Russia, with there myriad of photos
                  and articles detailing a vibrant spiritual life.)

                  2) Impress the West at how free and open Russia is. This one can also be
                  dismissed out of hand, since all Western governments are basically
                  areligious. With the exception of possibly Italy, Ireland, Poland and maybe
                  the US, most people in the West run the gamut of agnostic to atheist, so
                  they really couldn't are less. In fact, an Orthodox and religious Russia
                  would be seen as a threat, an anachronism and would not be at all welcome to
                  the multicultural humanistic XXI century mosaic. So, if the siloviki are
                  creating an Orthodox Potemkin Village to impress the West, they are acting
                  on some pretty fairly fault intelligence.

                  operative who speaks church language and will say pretty much anything to
                  > get you from point A to point B while really advancing the cause of Russian
                  > Federation foreign policy as defined by "siloviki" ? President Putin himself
                  > showing up in Synod was sure weird. Can you imagine American president
                  > adjudicating church politics ?

                  Advancing the foreign policy cause of the RF? Again, I don't see how a
                  viable, free Russian Church helps Russia at all (in the eyes of the West,
                  that is). President Putin at Synod was "weird?" This maybe termed
                  Too-long-in the-Diaspora Syndrome. When the Sovs were in power, we
                  complained they were militantly atheist. When Yelstin was prez, he was a
                  drunk and just went to church for pokaz. Now that Presdent Putin seems to be
                  religious and takes an active role/interest in the Church, we say he should
                  stay in the Kremlin and mind his business, like President Bush!! What
                  happened to having a Sovereign, anointed by God? There isn't one now, but
                  having a Russian president take what appears to be a genuine interest in the
                  Church is a Bad Thing?

                  While we are on the subject of politics and presidents. We did not bomb
                  > orthodox Serbia, we bombed communist Serbia that was standing in the way of
                  > our geopolitical interest in Southern Europe
                  >
                  > Beg to disagree. I doubt few--if any--of the communist nomenklatura were
                  killed in the shameful bombing of Serbia. We do know, however, that a
                  Serbian Orthodox priest had his head blown off, when he was hit by a falling
                  bomb leaving his church. We do know that the US and NATO bombed all of the
                  bridges over the Danube, which caused disruption and distress for ordinary
                  people in not only Serbia but in all the countries that use the Danube. We
                  also know that uranium-enriched weapons do not discriminate against Orthodox
                  or communist Serb.

                  and while our President is surely not Orthodox he is a real born again
                  > Christian who consciously let Jesus into his heart after series of
                  > conversation with Rev. Graham and who attend church regularly with Bible in
                  > hand which I actually find very admirable..

                  Did you find it admirable when Clinton also was shown coming out of church
                  carrying The Bible? Is allowing Jesus into one's heart after talking to
                  Billy Graham part of the Branch theory of Ecumenism? Again, I am taken
                  aback--to say the least--that a religious Putin is bad (and weird) and a
                  religious--but heterodox--Bush is good!!

                  Stiva.

                • frvictor@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Dear Gene,
                    First, I really liked your first sentence!
                    I am also pleased that you agree that the Russian Church looks very different today than it did twenty years ago. As to your question, "who allowed it to evolve into what it is now..." well, judging from the fruits, I would suggest that it could only be by the Grace of the Holy Spirit.

                    As to my original comment vis-a-vis Vladimir Vladimirovich and the bombing of Serbia, it was in the context of what some Russians over there feel. I would suggest, though, that many Orthodox Serbs would disagree with parts of what you wrote vis-a-vis "we did not bomb orthodox Serbia, we bombed communist Serbia..."

                    In Christ,
                    Priest Victor Boldewskul

                    From: gene703 <gene703@...>

> [...]
                    > > proper sobor began communicating with those in another jurisdiction.
                    > > Yes, this indeed is how the soviet, God hating authorities work, by
                    > > dividing and conquering, by confusing, by sophistry.
                    > >
                    > > It is absolutely inappropriate to conclude that we should just join with
                    > > those who are influenced by the soviet system, and so tragic that many
                    > > of the proponents of subservience to the MP have condemned their
                    > > brothers and sisters in the diaspora who do not agree with them.
                    > >
                    > > Yes, let us make sure we retain communion in our own part of the Russian
                    > > church before we approach such difficult and controversial questions as
                    > > eccliastic acceptance of the MP.
                    > >
                    > > Peter

                    > > are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from
                    > > your system.
                    > >
                    > > This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for

                  • larry most
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 4, 2006
                      GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
                      Dear Gene,
                      Let us say that a whole bunch of Churches and
                      Monasteries were destroyed be our Islamic "friends",
                      and our leaders didn't do much to stop it. I realise
                      that the Serbs weren't exactly "wonderful", but you
                      really need to read WW II history to see why.
                      Love in Christ,
                      Sub-deacon Lawrence Most

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • antiquariu@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2006
                        In a message dated 3/4/2006 2:49:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        gene703@... writes:

                        <<Snip,,,>>
                        Russian church does look very different from 20 years ago, no doubt. But
                        who allowed it to evolve into what it is now and who are the people currently
                        constituting it's upper management ? It's a common knowledge that perestroika
                        was closely managed by KGB, it is also a common knowledge that all Russian
                        political parties are created and controlled directly from Kremlin,

                        [Vova H.] Common knowledge, where Russians are concerned, is usually a red
                        herring. Look at the approving manner in which many Russians seek out plots,
                        conspiracies, etc, involving Masons, Jews, and nefarious international
                        councils.

                        where since 2000 "Piterskie Siloviki" are officially in charge. What makes
                        you think situation in Russian Church is any different ? Can you be 100% sure
                        there is no Mr. Tuchkov Jr. from the Committee on Cults Control still
                        lurking somewhere in the background with dossiers in hand ? Didn't THEY directly
                        appoint current Patriarch and many of his senior bishops to their posts ? Would
                        it be to paranoid to suggest that the whole Orthodox renaissance of the last
                        20 years was a Potemkin's village to a large degree at least in the ranks of
                        upper management ? Then again, who can deny that millions of Russian people
                        are back
                        in church taling communion ? Lord does work in mysterious ways.

                        [Vova H.] Thanks for the recovery in the last line, Gene. And that is
                        important. But please, lose the "they." It detracts from the strong points in
                        the rest of your argument.

                        So, next time you speak to one of these negotiators from Moscow ask yourself
                        a question. Could it be that the person I am talking to, person wearing
                        podryasnik and a pectoral cross or a panagia is actually a highly trained
                        intelligence operative who speaks church language and will say pretty much anything
                        to get you from point A to point B while really advancing the cause of
                        Russian Federation foreign policy as defined by "siloviki" ? President Putin
                        himself showing up in Synod was sure weird. Can you imagine American president
                        adjudicating church politics ?

                        [Vova H.] Naaah, 'cause it's just not that important in the big picture.
                        The Russian Church, and the Russian Church Abroad, and even the Byvshij Soyuz,
                        had to get their respective acts together to keep from becoming historically
                        irrelevant. While Russians are busy coining new "-isms" the rest of the
                        world marches onward. As far as adjudicating church politics is concerned, the
                        President does not have a majority, or even a plurality, of the population
                        adhering to the same creed, regardless of how weakly they might adhere to it.
                        Lt Col Putin does. Besides, there is that old Latin question, "Cui bono?"
                        What good does it do to have these siloviki calling shots, since no one in
                        the rest of the civilized world cares even one iota. Watching Russian oligarch
                        -- party -- mafia -- gosbez politics can be fun for some of us who study
                        this nonsense, but do you really think anyone not on a faculty cares? Not
                        outside of an extremely limited set of afficionados.

                        While we are on the subject of politics and presidents. We did not bomb
                        orthodox Serbia, we bombed communist Serbia that was standing in the way of our
                        geopolitical interest in Southern Europe and while our President is surely not
                        Orthodox he is a real born again Christian who consciously let Jesus into his
                        heart after series of conversation with Rev. Graham and who attend church
                        regularly with Bible in hand which I actually find very admirable.

                        [Vova H.] Gene, this is your best call here, and I agree with you 100%.

                        And finally, on this Forgiveness Sunday, if I have done anything to offend,
                        wound or hurt, I humbly beg for forgivess,

                        In Christ,

                        Vladimir Hindrichs

                        Thank-you for your translation work order. We hope to have been of service.
                        Please come visit us at our new facility at

                        ALS, Inc
                        Salem House
                        8375 West Main Street
                        Marshall, Virginia 20115

                        Werner Sämmler-Hindrichs
                        Director of Operations
                        (540) 364-9041
                        (703) 627-8881
                        (703) 832-0692 cell

                      • kato_ny
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2006
                          Otets Alexander,

                          Hello, its been awhile, bet everytime I find the extra time, I try to
                          see whats going on the forum. Though "ALL" my MESSAGES here are
                          "MODERATED", it's that "LESS" interesting to post since "NOW" this is a
                          controlled group. I wonder if this message will get through or not.

                          Concerning your posting, I really find it quite amazing!

                          WHO REALLY WANTED TO SPLIT AWAY FROM THE ROCA CHURCH IN THE FIRST PLACE?
                          What reasons would you think that such groups have split away?

                          The question you should ask yourself, "Is it possible that "outside new"
                          forces tried to force the "old traditional" out of Synod, and bring
                          "newcomers" into the church? What Forced the Suzdalites, the
                          Mansonvillians, the Varnavites and the Lazarites to break away? Isn't
                          that some sort of sign??? I mean, imagine the wave of people, including
                          priests and parisioners, traditionalists, who saw something seriously
                          change in the True Church of God...

                          Metropolitan Vitaly is still alive and living a normal life in
                          Mansonville. Have you or anyone from today's Synod, visited him, spoke
                          to him? If he was that much senile, I think he would be inside a insane
                          asylum. unfortunately, thats not the case... What also is quite strange,
                          shouldn't all of you feel sorrow for him if he was that sick?
                          Unfortunately thats not the case...

                          So the question is, who forced him to retire? Was there a set plan in
                          place, to push him out, create reasons that he's senile, and on
                          medication, and can't serve the church? Isn't it bizarre that he's still
                          running a Russian Orthodox Church jurisdiction, and that there are many
                          followers that once belonged to the one true church?

                          Who really is responsible for the Schism then?

                          Now, as far as the MP concerned, most of you who are leading the process
                          towards unity, don't really show that much care, to listen from many
                          parisioners. Most of you have this thing built up inside of yourselves,
                          that "WE ARE GOING TO UNITE AND THATS FINAL" Forget the rest, they can't
                          do much anyway to stop the process...

                          Your travels to Russia, meeting up with the MP, and the MP snake showing
                          you the beautiful shinny apple, doesn't mean that they are that clean
                          and truthful! The MP Hiearchy (inside the yolk), are mostly Soviet
                          brought up, that was under the guidance once of the KGB. Now quite
                          modern, far from handling a spying network, the MP church has become an
                          ORGANIZATION, who's interest today is to generate capital. We are not
                          talking about the Parisioners in Russia, or the priests and monks in the
                          regions, we are talking about the MP within the Hiearchy... the top
                          heads. There is no "spiritualness" in there. (TAM NETU ISTINI!) Just try
                          talking to Nicholas Bashakov (sp?), the MP secretary. You know who I
                          mean. he's a modern day priest... who has run away from my questions to
                          him on several occasions I managed to bump into him.

                          Did you ever speak to the members and priests of the ROCA jurisdictions
                          during your travels in Russia? Did you ever want to find out from these
                          people who baulk at the MP, and perhaps get a better understanding of
                          the situation in their native country? Are you scared to do so, or you
                          don't find the reasons for it, afraid that they will give you their two
                          cents about the MP in a bad perspective.

                          So to come to a small conclusion, you can study all you want from the
                          KGB files of 1923, but that one document that will be eventually
                          created, when the two churches (and if it does) unite and the
                          parisioners will split up, YOUR NAME (as well as others) will be
                          documented and responsbile for the Newly United Church. You will be
                          responsible for the destruction of the once True Church, The Russian
                          Orthodox Church Abroad. You literally will be signing it away, with
                          proper homework study, only relying on some 1923 documents, and seeinga
                          shiny apple that Pat Alexii has given you.

                          Which apparently doesn't seem to bother most you at all. On the
                          contrary, you are trying to rush the church to unite, and that's quite
                          sad. That is so modern in todays society.

                          So, who really is behind the schisms Fr Alexander?
                          Who's dictating todays Church?
                          Why the rush, and forgeting the past, and one of the best examples of
                          the needs to unite (or not) when Jerricho and Hebron Churches were taken
                          away from us by Force! I still never got any clear answers concerning
                          those two events. I believe the Patriarch was in Power already. Were
                          those good signs of understandings to unite now?

                          Forgive me Father and Everyone here, if I have hurt anyones feelings or
                          did someone something bad, on this Sunday of Forgiveness.

                          Konstantin

                          <lebedeff@...> wrote:
                          > ======================
                          >
                          > An amazing document, indeed.
                          >
                          > How similar is that situation to the one that we have now, with four
                          > groups having separated themselves from the Russian Orthodox Church
                          > Outside of Russia, each with its own hierarchy, and each disposed
                          > inimically to one another and to the Russian Orthodox Church Outside
                          > of Russia itself (the Suzdalites, the Mansonvillians, the Varnavites
                          > and the Lazarites)!
                          >
                          > Yet we know exactly who was behind the splitting up of the Russian
                          > Orthdox Church in 1923--the 6th Section of the Secret Department of
                          > the OGPU--the precursor to the KGB-- and we know whose end it really
                          served.

                          > Who is really behind the splitting up of the Russian Orthodox Church
                          > Outside of Russia at the present time, and whose end does it really
                          serve?

                          > I address those who are in these split-off groups:
                          >
                          > Do you realize whose cause you are serving by separating from your
                          > lawful hierarchy and justifying this separation?
                          >
                          > With love in Christ,
                          >
                          > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

                        • Maureen Girard
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2006
                            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "kato_ny" <kato_ny@...> wrote:

                            > Metropolitan Vitaly is still alive and living a normal life in
                            > Mansonville. Have you or anyone from today's Synod, visited him,
                            spoke
                            > to him? If he was that much senile, I think he would be inside a
                            insane
                            > asylum. unfortunately, thats not the case...>>

                            Senility is NOT considered insanity. Senility can come from a variety
                            of sources--the formation of metal-like placs on the brain, general
                            tissue failure impacting the structure of brain cells, various medical
                            disorders, etc. NOBODY goes to the "insane asylum" for these types of
                            medical disorders. These unfortunate folks are usually treated at
                            home. Of course, memory is usually involved. In many cases, these
                            people can recall events from their childhood but recent events are
                            outside of their medical ability. This means that they can remember
                            dear old Uncle Harry but they may not recall meeting you yesterday.
                            Treatment for these people is supportive. In other words, there's no
                            cure but they need help with ADLs(activities of daily living).
                            Dr. Girard
                          • DDD
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7, 2006
                              Dear Vladimir,

                              Just looking at  the life of the Holy New Martyr Andrei (Gnevyshev), starosta of St. Nicholas Cathedral in Bezhetzka (?)... where Bishop Gregory (Kozyrev) also served.
                              Any relation?  Not a loaded question, as I do not follow up on these threads. I just happened to notice the name....

                              http://days.pravoslavie.ru/Life/life4755.htm

                              --Dimitra Dwelley
                            • Vladimir Kozyreff
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 8, 2006
                                Dear Dimitra,

                                I do not know, wheter we are relatives or not. As you may know, this family
                                gave more than one martyr.

                                http://www.fond.ru/book/book3/3-45.htm

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 9, 2006
                                  Thank you, Vladimir, for this very informative link. I note their
                                  work is blessed by Alexy II.

                                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Kozyreff"