More on Patriarch Tikhon from the GPU

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      From the Report of the Director of the 6th Section of the Secret
      Department of the OGPU E.A. Tuchkov to the Vice Director of the OGPU
      V.R. Menzhinsky, dated February 27, 1924:

      Tuchkov writes:

      "In general these warring groups [the Tikhonites and the
      Renovationists - A.L.] are trying to outdo each other in order to
      obtain more trust from the Soviet Power and to be in favor with it.
      For example, Tikhon told me on more than one occasion, that "we to
      you (that is to the GPU) are stepsons [pasynki], while the
      Renovationists are sons [synki]"; by this he wished to say that the
      GPU treats us worse than it does the Renovationists."

      Also:

      "It is necessary to note that Tikhon feels that his authority is
      gradually falling, because he on more than one occasion complained to
      me about his bishops, who are beginning to disobey him and many of
      them do not even accept appointments to their sees, and
      also concerning the Danilov monastery, where opposition to Tikhon
      from the right has formed, he directly asked me to assist in the
      liquidation of this nest."

      "Tikhon, although he recognizes that being friendly with the GPU is
      not appropriate for him, but thanks to the Church situation that has
      arisen, sees there is no way out of this situation for him, being the
      Patriarch."

      "Monarchists berate him for this, asking why has he associated
      himself with such an organization as the GPU, whose goals are known
      to every churchnik. The monarchists are in no less of a stir
      regarding the Tikhonite bishops, who frequently visit the GPU,
      calling them people who have sold themselves out."

      Hmmmm, "Sergianism" long before Sergius. . . .

      (It should be noted that Tuchkov, the GPU "handler" of St. Patriarch
      Tikhon, later became the "handler" for Metropolitan Sergius).

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff