Re: [paradosis] Who Is Really Behind the Schisms?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:

      > Just today I was rereading the secret Archives of the Politburo
      > regarding Church matters and I was struck by the following passage in
      > the Report of the Director of the 6th Section of the Secret
      > Department of the OGPU E. A. Tuchkov to his superior T.D. Deribas
      > about the work the Section had accomplished during 1923 (Report dated
      > December 12, 1923).

      > " All of these groups have been placed in such a state, that
      > willingly or unwillingly they are bound to be constantly at war with
      > one another and to curry favor from the organs of civil authority.
      > The enmity between these groups deepens from time to time and more
      > and more,

      JRS: And that was only in 1923!

      Who does not see that this describes the situation today, not only among HOCNA, ROAC,
      ROCiE and the Lazarites, but also all of the rival Greek jurisdictions, as well as between the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Moscow Patriarchate in the current battles over church
      property in Budapest, Biarritz and Nice?

      > "The second significant moment in the work of the Section -- was the
      > accomplishment of the "repentance of Tikhon," which as you are
      > probably aware, made an extremely unfavorable impression on the
      > Russian monarchists and the right-leaning elements in general, who
      > had seen in Tikhon, up to this time, an adamant anti-Soviet figure."

      JRS: It goes without saying that the 1927 "Declaration" of Metropolitan Sergius is closely
      related to the above "achievement". However, the pressure exerted by the Soviet government
      in and after 1927, exceeded its power in 1923.

      The fact that the report speaks of "the monarchists" and "the right-leaning elements" in itself
      shows that much: as the absolute rule of the Soviets grew, those "elements" were in no
      position to play any active role in Russian society.

      Patriarch St. Tikhon "repented" in a period when, bad as the persecution was, it came
      nowhere near to the pressures under which Metropolitan/Patriarch Sergius had to work.