FWD: Metropolitan PAVLOS of America hospitalized

  • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 3:53 PM
      Posted on the ORTHODOX list today:

      ===========

      The Holy Metropolis of the Genuine
      Greek Orthodox Church of America
      Cathedral of St. Markella
      22-68 26 Street * Astoria, NY 11105

      March 1st, 2006

      NEWS/PRESS RELEASE

      Re: Metropolitan PAVLOS of America hospitalized

      Metropolitan PAVLOS, the Archbishop of America, suffered a very
      serious brain hemorrhage while at his residence in Astoria early
      yesterday evening. He was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital of Queens, and
      then transferred to Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.

      His attending neurologist, Dr. Ronald Alterman, stated that it is
      still too early to determine how much neurological damage His
      Eminence suffered. The Metropolitan is currently being kept under
      sedation.

      The Holy Metropolis asks that everyone pray to the Mother of our God,
      the Most Holy Theotokos, that she may intercede with her son our Lord
      God and Savior Jesus Christ, that He have mercy on His servant
      Metropolitan PAVLOS.

      At 7:00 PM every evening, at the Cathedral of St. Markella, a
      Supplicatory Canon to the Mother of God will be conducted on behalf
      of His Eminence Metropolitan PAVLOS.

      CONTACT: Dr. Michael Yunakov - 516-375-7327
    • gene703
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 6:52 PM
        I hope he fully recovers soon
        what's a Theotokos ?
        theo is God I guess? tocos is mother ?
        I heard it so many times and just let it slide
        thanks

        Gene T

        Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap <fr.mark@...> wrote:

[...]

        Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

      • Anastasios Dustin Hudson
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 8:23 PM
          Dear Gene,

          Yes, Theotokos is "Mother of God" but more literally,
          I believe, God-bearer.

          It is the title Orthodox use to describe the Virgin
          Mary, ascribed to her at the Council of Ephesus in 431
          AD.

          Anastasios

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/B6T8nB/Vp3LAA/EcBKAA/m.VolB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John Swensen
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 8:36 PM
            Dear Gene,
            According to my understanding Theotokos comes from the Greek words "Theos" which means God and "tokos" which means "[who] bore so Theotokos means "she who bore God."
            I never had the pleasure of meeting Metropolitan Pavlos although i have been to the monastery where he lived at least three times. I was always greeted very warmly there by the monks who spoke very highly of him. A friend of mine from my seminary days at Jordanville is a monk there and said that Metropolitan Pavlos was a good elder. May God have mercy on Metropolitan Pavlos and grant him many years of further service to Christ and His Church.
            John Swensen

            gene703 <gene703@...> wrote:
[...]

          • aprmih
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 6:53 AM
              As others wrote, it means "Godbearer". "Bogoroditsa" is a direct
              translation of Theotokos (or as close a translation as slavonic can
              get). Obviously, if Theotokos meant "Mother of God" we'd use the
              term "Bogomater"

              Alex

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@...> wrote:

              > I hope he fully recovers soon
              > what's a Theotokos ?
              > theo is God I guess? tocos is mother ?
              > I heard it so many times and just let it slide
              > thanks
              >
              > Gene T

            • Stephen/Στέφανος
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6 8:28 PM
                *Against Those Who Are Unwilling To Confess That The Holy Virgin Is
                Theotokos
                by St. Cyril of Alexandria
                Protopresbyter ** George Dion Dragas, Editor*

                (A very important book on the place of the Most Holy Theotokos in the
                Orthodox Church, and the great importance of the term «Theotokos», not
                just Mother of God.
                http://tinyurl.com/lgp46