Re: [orthodox-synod] Russian translation--interesting usage re icons, anyone know?

  • Valeria Sajez
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
      Perhaps someone else can add to this, but one of the things that I
      really enjoy about "old Russian" and Church Slavonic is that there is
      a "religious specific vocabulary". For example, zateplit' lampadu,
      prilozhica k ikone or "vymen'et ikonu.

      It seems to me that most religious objects are not "bought" but
      "obtained". I don't recall either of my grandmothers ever using
      "kupila" when used with any religious objects but using any number of
      other verbs. None of which implied the use of money.

      Valeria