Archbishop Anthony of Geneva on the Dangers of Isolationism of the ROCOR

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2006
      Here are some timely quotes from the speech of Archbishop Anthony of
      Geneva at the Third All-Diasporan Council in 1974:

      "The head of our Church, Met. Anthony-- as a true pastor of the
      Church of Christ, and not like the scribes or Pharisees of our times,
      showed our Church the middle, royal path, arming himself on this road
      with the sword of truth and the fire of love and mercy. . . He does
      not break prayerful communion with the Churches that adopted the new
      calendar, he does not anathematize anyone."

      "For the unity of the Church is her nature and foundation. By the
      example of our First Hierarchs we must carefully preserve those fine
      threads which bind us with the Orthodox world. Under no circumstances
      must we isolate ourselves, seeing around us, often imagined, heretics
      and schismatics. Through gradual self-isolation we will fall into the
      extremism which our metropolitans wisely avoided, we will reject that
      middle, royal path which until now our Church has traveled. . . By
      isolating ourselves, we will embark upon the path of sectarianism,
      fearing everyone and everything, we will become possessed with
      paranoia. . . But to take such a course, we will have to reject our
      Church's past and condemn it."

      Let the current scribes and pharisees take heed.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff