Passing of Fr George Bielay

  • cantor71
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
      Fathers and friends,

      Tonight after Vigil I got a call from my friend Anna Pjawka, who let
      me know that her father, Mitred Archpriest George Bielay, had just
      passed away, quietly at home, from heart failure.

      Fr. George, at 91, was the oldest priest in the Canadian Diocese and,
      despite his failing health, was able to serve and hear confessions as
      recently as last year.

      I do not pretend to know all his history, but I can say that Fr.
      George was ordained in the Metropolia and came to the Synod shortly
      after the OCA's autocephaly of 1970. He has served as the rector in
      parishes in Hamilton and Jackson's Point, Ontario, and has been the
      assistant priest at the Toronto Holy Trinity Cathedral for many years.
      He was loved by all for his dedication to the church and its services
      and his warm manner, not to mention his sharp wit.

      Funderal arrangements have not yet been finalized but there will be a
      panikhida at Holy Trinity Church in Toronto tomorrow, Sunday, at 6
      p.m. before the 7 p.m. Vigil to St. Xenia, and a second on Monday
      morning following the 10 a.m. Liturgy to St. Xenia.

      Please pray for the soul of Fr. George and for his widow, Matushka
      Iraida.

      George Skok
      Toronto
    • cantor71
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
        http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/troitsaintoronto.ht
        ml

        There are photos of Fr. George here - in the top picture, he is
        exiting the altar by the south door, not vested, and in the lower
        photo, he is on the far left, vested.

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "cantor71" <gskok@...> wrote:

        > Fathers and friends,
        >
        > Tonight after Vigil I got a call from my friend Anna Pjawka, who
        let
        > me know that her father, Mitred Archpriest George Bielay, had just
        > passed away, quietly at home, from heart failure.
        >
        > Fr. George, at 91, was the oldest priest in the Canadian Diocese
        and,
        > despite his failing health, was able to serve and hear confessions
        as
        > recently as last year.
        >
        > I do not pretend to know all his history, but I can say that Fr.
        > George was ordained in the Metropolia and came to the Synod
        shortly
        > after the OCA's autocephaly of 1970. He has served as the rector
        in
        > parishes in Hamilton and Jackson's Point, Ontario, and has been
        the
        > assistant priest at the Toronto Holy Trinity Cathedral for many
        years.
        > He was loved by all for his dedication to the church and its
        services
        > and his warm manner, not to mention his sharp wit.
        >
        > Funderal arrangements have not yet been finalized but there will
        be a
        > panikhida at Holy Trinity Church in Toronto tomorrow, Sunday, at 6
        > p.m. before the 7 p.m. Vigil to St. Xenia, and a second on Monday
        > morning following the 10 a.m. Liturgy to St. Xenia.
        >
        > Please pray for the soul of Fr. George and for his widow, Matushka
        > Iraida.
        >
        > George Skok
        > Toronto

      • Olga
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
          I just spoke with Anya, and the funeral service for Fr. George will
          be tomorrow (Monday)immediately after the Liturgy at the Holy Trinity
          Church in Toronto.

          Also, if everyone could also remember in their prayers Fr. George's
          grandchildren, Alexei, Michael and Elena Pjawka.

          In Christ,
          Olga Cherrin