the Kingdom of God - a Much More Fundame ntal Question

  • podnoss
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2006
      There is no greater contemporary absurdity than to
      expatiate upon the Christian excellence of the past &
      present MP. Learned theologians of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Abroad bend their powerful minds to
      demonstrate that Met. Sergius' abject surrender of the
      keys of the Church in Russia to the son of perdition
      was a fleeting fancy, a cause of passing irritation
      for believers & we can now hitch the ROCA's future to
      the MP. We are asked to let go of images; images that
      we built in our youth; images that gave us strength;
      images that solidified & energized our own self-image.
      Despite all evidence to the contrary, perhaps the core
      of the MP is good. Could I differ with others only by
      reason of words?

      At the very heart of Christianity is the
      notion-that the only way to live is to die. There was
      a way of deliverance for Met. Sergius & his disciples,
      instead they accepted the devil's offer of the kingdom
      on earth. A few years back, an official MP website
      displayed banners celebrating the Red Army's 1945
      complete victory over the invader. A great image
      revelatory to what is essential about the MP: what we
      must worship is in earthly terms.
      Having had a glimpse into the life of the MP on two
      continents, I see an organization which does not
      include self-consciousness or spiritual awareness. I
      believe the MP does not trust in God, which I try to
      do.

      He was demanded of the Pharisees when the kingdom
      of God would come. He answered and said:

      The kingdom does not come with observation; neither
      shall they say: Over here! or Look over there! For
      behold, the kingdom is within you.

      Any attempt to externalise the Kingdom of Heaven
      must end in disaster. It is for those who set out for
      the Kingdom alone that will reach it together & those
      who seek it in company will perish by themselves.

      John Walker