Taking God into Space

  • Fr. John McCuen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2006
      "During Soviet days, religious celebrations in the city were
      forbidden. But as soon as Kazakhstan declared its independence, a
      small group of people at the spaceport petitioned the Russian Orthodox
      bishop of the nearby city of Akmolinsk to open a parish and send an
      ordained priest.

      "The bishop consulted with church officials in Russia, and in June
      1992 they sent Father Sergey to Baikonur. With the Russian space
      program nearly bankrupt, the situation wasn't the easiest. The
      congregation grew rapidly, however, and soon there were too many
      attendees to fit into the small store during services.

      "Easter 1994 marked a major turning point for the congregation, when
      about two thousand people crowded the street outside the makeshift
      church and city officials approved a live TV broadcast of the services."

      (read the full story at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10729300/)

      The newly-consecrated church building in the city of Baikonur
      (formerly known as "Leninsk") wae open for services for the Nativity
      of our Lord, just ten days ago.

      How is it possible that a congregation of 2,000 people could grow so
      quickly? How is it that they could raise the funds necessary to build
      a temple? After all, their priest was sent by a bishop of the MP.

      Can any of us say that our congregation has 2,000 people? Does any
      congregation in our entity have that many people?

      There will be some who will say, "Numbers aren't what is important."
      Numbers alone are not a good indicator one way or the other -- but
      something must be said for a people who had been denied an opportunity
      to express their faith to have responded in such a way when given the
      freedom to do so.

      "Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to
      say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto
      you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto
      Abraham." (Luke 3:8) And, no doubt, His own children from the stones
      of atheist Soviet Russia...

      unworthy Priest John McCuen