Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Can Priest serve more than one liturgy a day?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2006
      Fr Anastasy wrote:

      > At least in the Greek Triodion, the Vesperal Liturgy of Holy Saturday is in
      > the [Lenten] Triodion under "The Holy and Great Saturday" - as its last
      > service - eventhough it is the Vespers of Holy Pascha.
      >
      > The first service(s) of the Pentecostarion is (Midnight Office), Matins,
      > Paschal Hours, Divine Litrugy.

      JRS: Since the reforms of Patriarch Nikon, the Russian Slavonic books have adoped the same
      division.

      However, in editions before that, and to this day in the Old Rite, the "Flowered Triodion" (the
      Slavonic name for the Pentecostarion, since it contains daily Triodia or Tripesntsy for Paschal
      time that are lacking today in the Greek books) begins, not with Easter Sunday Matins, but
      with the services for Palm Sunday.

      Hence the name: Palm Sunday being the "Sunday of Flower-bearing".

      So, in the older Slavonic books, the Vesperal Liturgy of Holy Saturday is in the same volume,
      and part of the same cycle of services, as the Resurrection Matins (Anastasis).

      > By the way, this is not just a "Paschal" situation. In many Orthodox
      > countries there is a Vesperal Liturgy on the eve - sometimes in the
      > morning - and a midnight Liturgy of the Great Feast: i.e., Nativity of the
      > Lord in some areas of Russia and Greece.

      JRS: According to the rubrics, the Vesperal Liturgies on the eves of Christmas and Epiphany
      are also part of the same day's cycle of services as the Liturgy on the morning of the feast.

      And here there is no "separate volume": all the services for Christmas, beginning with
      Vespers and the Vesperal Liturgy, are in the December Menaion; those for Epiphany/
      Theophany are in the January Menaion.

      > Does any Typikon say that on this day you are ordered, directed, or
      > permitted to do 2 Liturgies? Is this "2nd" Liturgy - that of Pascha, etc. -
      > celebrated on a different Holy Table? Not by the same priest? Absolutely
      > not.

      JRS: No, the same priest and the same Holy Table are used for both: even though they both
      belong to the same liturgical day.

      > These types of comments/conclusions assist in giving precedence (and
      > comfirmation) to doing 2 Liturgies in one day. Actually it is happening -
      > outside of our Church - in some places with episcopal blessing - perhaps
      > under extraordinary circumstances where there are two neighboring little
      > churches and only 1 priest.

      JRS: The original reason for not having multiple Liturgies is said to have been, not the idea
      that it would be a sacrilege to repeat the Divine Liturgy, but in order not to divide the
      congregation.

      However, in today's circumstances the congregation is still divided, when there are early and
      late Liturgies by different priests and at different altars.

      But it surely is better to have the people divided, yet still attending Liturgy, than to have part
      of the congregation not attend Liturgy at all.