Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Can Priest serve more than one liturgy a day?

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2006

      >Identifying this as "the Church directs" two Liturgies a day is
      >both a real stretch and an erroneous conclusion!
      >
      >Anastasy the Presbyter

      I don't believe that is a "stretch" at all.

      We surely agree that the Liturgical Day begins with Vespers.

      So-- on Holy Saturday, at 4:00pm (the tenth hour of the day) we have
      Vespers. At midnight (same liturgical day) we have Matins, followed
      by Paschal Liturgy.

      All on the same Liturgical Day, right?

      Yet in the middle of this logical span of services: Vespers, Matins,
      Hours, Liturgy--the Church directs us to insert another Liturgy after Vespers.

      So, you get: Vespers, Liturgy, Matins, Hours, Liturgy.

      All on the same Liturgical Day.

      That surely looks like two Divine Liturgies on one Liturgical Day.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff