Paper icons needed for Haiti Mission

  • Carol Surgant
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
      Beloved in Christ our Saviour,

      Paper Icons are needed for the faithful in Haiti.
      Please consider collecting in your parish small paper icons and good
      quality icon prints from greeting cards or small calendars. Sizes
      needed are 8x10 inches and smaller (for ease in transport). Pocket
      size icons are very useful.
      *** sorry, we cannot accept at this time framed icons or icons
      mounted on wood***

      Fr. Gregory Williams is limited in the weight that he can carry on
      the plane for each trip to Haiti. All suitable paper Icons will be
      laminated in plastic so that they will last longer in the tropical
      climate of Haiti.

      Please mail Icons to:
      Carol Surgant
      9840 Warington Square
      Creve Coeur, MO 63141-7909

      Please add a piece of stiff cardboard to the envelope so that they
      will arrive in good condition.
    • G. B.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
        Dear Carol,

        Will Fr Matthew be at our parish feast this
        weekend, when the Bp. Peter comes? If so, I could
        hand him the icons that I have.

        Yours in Christ,

        Rd. Gennady

        --
        Gennady Barabtarlo
        451 GCB University of Missouri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
          Good news! We and others had so many of them . I did donate a number of them to our church, but could probably still get them. I am glad to know someone can use them.Carol Surgant <casurgant@...> wrote: Beloved in Christ our Saviour,

[...]

        • nathaniel sorochka
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
            Dear Carol,

            Christ is Born!

            Is there a specific type of Icon that you need or will any Icon be sufficient?

            Sincerely,

            Nathaniel

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
              In a message dated 1/10/2006 2:49:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              casurgant@... writes:
              Fr. Gregory Williams is limited in the weight that he can carry on
              the plane for each trip to Haiti. All suitable paper Icons will be
              laminated in plastic so that they will last longer in the tropical
              climate of Haiti.

              Would you accept small icons (4X6, 3X5 ...) that are already
              laminated ?
              In Christ,
              Melpomeni Mari.

            • Carol Surgant
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
                Glorify Him!

                Any Icon will do as long as it is unmounted, that is, we would like plain paper icons not on wood or any other material so that they can be laminated. Icon prints that are already laminated, of course are very welcome. Also, Icon prints should be smaller than 8 1/2 x 11 inches so they will fit our laminating machine.

                In Christ,
                Carol Surgant

                nathaniel sorochka <njsorochka@...> wrote:
                Dear Carol,

                Christ is Born!

                Is there a specific type of Icon that you need or will any Icon be sufficient?

              • Glenn Fleurinck
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
                  Dear Carol,
                  As I live in Europe getting Icons first to you and then to Haiti seems unpratical and unneccasrily expensive.
                  Would the be an adres in Haiti they could be mailed to?

                  Glenn,
                  Any Icon will do as long as it is unmounted, that is, we would like plain paper icons not on wood or any other material so that they can be laminated. Icon prints that are already laminated, of course are very welcome. Also, Icon prints should be smaller than 8 1/2 x 11 inches so they will fit our laminating machine.

                  In Christ,
                  Carol Surgant

                  nathaniel sorochka <njsorochka@...> wrote:
                  Dear Carol,

                  Christ is Born!

                  Is there a specific type of Icon that you need or will any Icon be sufficient?

                  Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

                • Carol Surgant
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                    Christ is born!

                    Already laminated pocket icons are perfect, preferably if they are not mounted on wood. We are trying to limit what we are adding to Fr. Gregory's luggage for the trip, as he need to bring other needed liturgical items as requested by the missions.

                    In Christ,
                    Carol Surgant

                    casurgant@... writes:
                    Fr. Gregory Williams is limited in the weight that he can carry on
                    the plane for each trip to Haiti. All suitable paper Icons will be
                    laminated in plastic so that they will last longer in the tropical
                    climate of Haiti.

                    Would you accept small icons (4X6, 3X5 ...) that are already
                    laminated ?
                    In Christ,
                    Melpomeni Mari.

                    Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

                  • Carol Surgant
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                      Christ is born!

                      At the present time and for the near future, mail delivery to Haiti is not reliable.
                      Fr. Gregory has been hand-carrying items that are needed by the small missions there. The poverty there by modern standards is truly incredible, from what Fr. Gregory relates. Despite low wages, consumer goods are as expensive as in the U.S.

                      From the www.orthodoxhaiti.org website:

                      Please don't send anything other than monetary aid without consulting
                      first.
                      Anything sent by post to Haiti (if it makes it at all) is certain to create a customs difficulty. It may ultimately pass duty-free, but only after an argument. The only reasonable way to transport gifts to Haiti at this time is as checked baggage with visitors. Needless to say, considerable selectivity is needed! However, with proper planning a traveler (at least from Nashville, on American Airlines) can take along 180 pounds of baggage... if the three allowable pieces are carefully packed to the weight limit. This allowance must be used for items with a high value-to-weight ratio, or which are known to be difficult or impossible to obtain in Haiti. With these caveats, after checking (with the administrator), donated supplies may be sent to the Mission office in Liberty for consolidation and packing, or collected elsewhere for transport with another visitor to the Mission.

                      In Christ,
                      Carol Surgant

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                          Christ is Born!
                          This is intended to be an ongoing project. Fr. Gregory is limited in the amount of items he can carry along each time he visits Haiti. So, we hope to be sending a selection of Icons -- whatever he can fit extra into his luggage -- each time he goes. This is the only way to safely transport items to Haiti.

                          At the present time and for the near future, mail delivery to Haiti is not reliable.
                          Fr. Gregory has been hand-carrying items that are needed by the small missions there. The poverty there by modern standards is truly incredible, from what Fr. Gregory relates. Despite low wages, consumer goods are as expensive as in the U.S. because nearly all manufactured items must be imported.

                          May God bless all of you for your interest in this project. At the present time, it is probably logistically impossible to solicit icon prints from outside the U.S. For those of you outside the U.S, instead of spending alot on postage, please consider making a monetary donation as a way to help.

                          For more information on the Orthodox missions in Haiti:
                          http://www.orthodoxhaiti.org

                          Aleksandra Thompson <aleksandrasamuelevna@...> wrote:
                          By what date?

                        • aleksandrasamuelevna
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
                            I am getting ready to mail some. I will have rubberbands arund
                            them . That's how we had them stored, so I guess that is ok. They
                            will be in a box inside and envelope.

                            - In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Carol Surgant <casurgant@s...>