Re: [orthodox-synod] French Clergy

  • Anna Voellmecke
    Message 1 of 149 , Jan 5, 2006
      At 08:50 PM 12/29/2005, you wrote:
      >Here is the web site for L'ECOF. There are a few ROCOR
      >priests that were L'ECOF and more trying to be
      >received by ROCOR but were not. L'EOCF they are a dead
      >church I am sad to say and are in fact condemend.
      >http://orthodoxie.free.fr/

      This is the group where I was received into Orthodoxy while it was
      still under Bucharest. The little congregation I attended in
      Freiburg, Germany did the services just as we do, not the St. Germain
      liturgy, because the spiritual father of the clergy had been a monk
      on Mt. Athos for some time. No Orthodox will consecrate a new bishop
      with Bishop Germain (Hardy), so L'EOCF will die out. I pray fervently
      that they will find a spiritually profitable solution to their situation.

      Anna V.
    • Glenn Fleurinck
      Message 149 of 149 , Jan 8, 2006
        Mr. Kozyreff,

        You are painting a very romanticised but innaccurate and unrealistic picture of both Russian culture and the Russian immigrant community outside Russia.

        First, 7 decades of communist oppresion had their impact. And many contemporary russians have to go in search for their roots as they have very little feeling left with their orthodox heritage. Their was also a time mind you when " Christian" and " European" were synonymous.

        And what i know the immigrant community in this country is that they behave like any other immigrant group. A little island withing society closed in themselves. ( But yes i have some wonderfull Russian friends here just the same)
        But i still have to experience this extraordinary open welcoming bunch of people as you describe them. And I don't blame them. They are only humans trying to live the best they can in a foreign country. I have lived outside Belgium for 10 years myself I know what it's like.

        You write: " The fashion in Western "RC" churches for icons is that they look
        picturesque. They do so because they are foreign and look "primitive" or
        naive to the West."

        Allow me to disagree. For many they are part of a spiritual journey and not just some oriental fashion. I was first introduced to icons by Carmelite Friars and they definately were more then " picturesque" to them.
        The strange and delightful attraction of icons is largely responsible for my own journey towards orthodoxy.

        But then again as a westerner according to you will never really " gett it" anyway. No sir no way i would ever be fully orthodox. That is like saying : " we'll tollerate you If you really must "convert"but you'll never fully be one of us. ( and you still dare to describe yourself as open ,hospitable and welcomming?) Well my friend I find that offensive and an affront to those many converts who have experienced their conversion as a true homecomming and a return indeed to the faith of their forefathers.

        Glenn in Begium,