Re: [orthodox-synod] Windows PCs face "huge" virus threat

  • larry most
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
      GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
      Dear Fr. John,
      Or,you could use Linux.
      Love in Christ,
      Subdeacon Lawrence Most

      --- "Fr. John McCuen" <frjohnmcc@...> wrote:

      > This is being reported today at MSNBC:
      >
      > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10684853/
      >
      > You should take these steps:
      >
      > Do not open emails from people you do not know if
      > these contain image
      > files (most email programs will tell you if there is
      > an attached file
      > by using a symbol such as a paper clip next to the
      > subject line of the
      > email). Make sure that you have turned "off" the
      > "preview" feature of
      > your email program; which automatically opens the
      > email, and any
      > images it may contain. (This is particularly
      > important if you are
      > using Outlook or Outlook Express.)
      >
      > Do not follow links to web pages if you do not know
      > the sender.
      >
      > Set your "Windows update" feature to automatic; and
      > be sure to
      > download and install the latest security patches it
      > reports to you.
      > This will be particularly important when Microsoft
      > releases the patch
      > for this problem; which is reported to be issued on
      > Jan. 10th.
      >
      > Updates will be sent as new information becomes
      > available.
      >
      > Your unworthy servant in Christ,
      > Priest John McCuen

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Fr. John McCuen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, larry most <larrymost2002@y...>
        wrote:

        > GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
        > Dear Fr. John,
        > Or,you could use Linux.
        > Love in Christ,
        > Subdeacon Lawrence Most

        Dear Subdeacon Lawrence,

        Actually, I have been experimenting with Linux for about three years
        now; and have recently purchased a Xandros distro to install on one of
        the back-up computers I have. Having grown up with the dinosaurs, and
        using tty equipment to do my first classes in programming (on Univac
        1106 and 1108 systems), paper tape and punch cards (for an IBM 360/370
        system); working with CP/M on an Osborne-1 computer, and writing batch
        files in DOS ("Who needs Windows? I know how to write batch files!"),
        I find the command line environment in Linux to be like working with
        an old friend. I actually prefer it to the KDE and Gnome desktops.
        (When push comes to shove in doing something on the Linux computer,
        I've been known to open a command-line window on the desktop; as it's
        usually easier to just type the command than try to figure out how to
        do it "windows style"...)

        Unfortunately, the "windows-equivalent" programs that run over the
        Linux OS -- and especially the cross-platform capability -- still
        isn't seamlessly interchangeable; and, for most people, Linux is not
        an alternative.

        There's a lot the ordinary user can do to minimize their likelihood of
        infection while using their computer on the internet. Hopefully,
        people will be better informed about the threats there; and take the
        steps needed to keep from getting the viruses, and worms, and trojan
        horses that affect so many computers today. The same steps also work
        for those running Linux!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
          GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
          Dear Father John,
          Actually I am probably the most "computer illiterate
          person" in the world. I used to use Windows,until I
          had a "crash and burn" (my whole hard drive),due to a
          virus. Then my son sent me a "Mepis" disk, and I've
          never had a "blue screen" since. I even updated my
          system "all by myself" without wrecking it. I do have
          Windows "crossover" to run the programmes that must
          use windows, but I'll never go back. (Sorry Mr.
          Gates).
          Thanks for the great reply and may you have a very
          Blessed Christmas.
          Love in Christ,
          Subdeacon Lawrence Most
          (PS you are probably much more proficent at computers
          than I am)

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Protopriest David Moser
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John McCuen" <frjohnmcc@c...> wrote:

            > There's a lot the ordinary user can do to minimize their likelihood of
            > infection while using their computer on the internet. Hopefully,
            > people will be better informed about the threats there; and take the
            > steps needed to keep from getting the viruses, and worms, and trojan
            > horses that affect so many computers today.

            For example - my online email "junk mail filter" runs everything through McAfee, I have Norton running on my home machine and then just to keep the accidental worm or trojan horse from going out on the internet on its own to get the "nasty" part of the bug, I have a firewall running as well. This all, in addition to the simple things you can do like not opening attachments you don't know about, not going directly to webpages from email, etc, etc.

            Protopriest David Moser
            Boise, ID
            homilies: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/propoved/