Re: [orthodox-synod] Thoughts on the feast of St. Herman of Alaska

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2005
      George Skok wrote:

      > For some unknown reason, I was particularly taken by the second
      > troparion of the 8th ode of the canon to St. Herman (ROCOR version)
      > which reads - I don't have the English service so this and other
      > quotes are my crude English translation - "Your cell in the forest
      > resounded with angelic singing."

      JRS: Almost the same phrase is in the Tropar for St. Spyridon, also today.

      St. Spyridon is a major Saint for the Greeks, and today is also the Sunday of the Holy
      Forefathers. So I have 3 icons set out on the central lectern in our church: St. Spyridon
      (largest icon) in the center, Holy Forefathers on the right, and St. Herman of Alaska on the
      left.