Re: ROCOR CLERGY LIST

  • Rebekah Moser
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 22, 2005
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John McCuen"
      <frjohnmcc@c...> wrote:
      > The problem arises primarily from the computer
      > system used at the SJKP offices. The equipment is old -- did I say
      > old? "archaic" would probably be better. The database management
      > software is no longer commercially available, nor supported by its
      > manufacturer. Plus, the directory of parishes and clergy is
      > intertwined with the SJKP "commercial" contacts database; so that
      > making changes to one set of conditions affects the entire operation.

      I would like to add a bit more to this explanation. I asked about
      helping with this last summer when I was between jobs. Unfortunately
      database work is not my area of expertise so it was going to take some
      time to learn how to do it, and my new job doesn't leave me the time
      to do that. What Fr. Gregory needs is somebody who is experienced at
      SQL database work on a MAC. The spec he sent me is six pages long and
      involves creating an extremely integrated system between the address
      lists and the commercial needs of the press. We are talking about
      several months' worth of work for someone who knows what they are
      doing. This involves designing the new system and migrating all the
      existing data from the obsolete database to the new one - without
      losing anything. If there is anyone with the appropriate experience
      who would be willing to help work on this, please contact Fr. Gregory
      directly. I would also be happy to forward his spec if anyone wants
      to see what all is needed.

      Matushka Rebekah Moser