Re: [orthodox-synod] War on 2 Fronts

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2005
      I really thought that I had heard everything, but even I was stunned to hear the following report on the radio. What a sad, new low.

      Some churches will skip Christmas Day services

      Holiday falls on Sunday, but some prefer to have family time
      http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051208/NEWS01/512080443/1006/MTCN0301

      On 12/9/05, larry most <larrymost2002@...> wrote:
      I don't know whether you live in the US or not but if
      you don't, you should know that our "Christmas" has
      turned into a business holiday, ie we don't care "what
      you wish" as long as you spend money. There is
      virtually no spiritual preparation for Christmas,
      except for a few advent services in a very few of the
      western churches. Mostly it is buy, buy, buy, party,
      party party.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2005
        Hristofor wrote:

        > I really thought that I had heard everything, but even I was stunned to hear the following
        report on the radio. What a sad, new low.

        > Some churches will skip Christmas Day services
        >
        > Holiday falls on Sunday, but some prefer to have family time
        > http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051208/NEWS01/512080443/
        1006/MTCN0301

        JRS: On the other hand, the many new arrivals from Russia find it strange if we do not have
        services on Pascha morning.

        In Russia, the larger churches have a second priest, and a second Liturgy in the morning at
        the usual time, attended by crowds of worshippers.

        They also have both an evening and a midnight service for Orthodox Christmas, followed by
        another in the morning.

      • larry most
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2005
          GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
          Dear Hristofor,
          I read that too, in the Detroit News. As James Brown
          used to sing "LIVING IN AMERICA". The older I get, the
          better it gets.
          Love in Christ,
          Sub-deacon Lawrence Most

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/B6T8nB/Vp3LAA/EcBKAA/m.VolB/TM