Fw: PalestinianOrthodoxy

  • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      Dear ----------,
      Thanks for your comments and for reading what I send. One thing I hear from
      people, but don't know where they get this, is: All we hear are the stories
      of bombing in Jerusalem.... To my knowledge, there have not been any
      bombings in Jerusalem since I arrived here a little over two years ago! In
      Tel Aviv (an hour drive away by down-hill highway) and in other towns, but
      not here. I have not even heard a bomb. But in the old days, 4 years ago,
      you could hear bombs in Jerusalem and Israeli shelling of Beit Jala, about
      10 miles south of Jerusalem near Bethlehem, and areas south of there, as
      well as once seeing pre-dawn Israeli shelling of a Palestinian village near
      the Dead Sea --- that lasted about 3 hours. I was living in Jericho at the
      time. Nowadays near Jerusalem and places we take pilgrims here and up
      north, I have never run into bombs or artillery or even gunfire, only the
      nuisance and frustration of the Israeli controls (i.e., strangle-hold)
      placed on Palestinians. Not to deny that it happens somewhere in this
      country, but it just is not near us. Thank God. Doubtless, it is the
      sensational, and dare I say pro-Israeli/anti-Palestinian, news and slants on
      the same that are broadcast in America, and therefore, that is what the
      people of America by and large believe. This is another reason I sent out
      the web information on Norman Finkelstein yesterday. Did I send to you also?
      He and a very few other Jews are trying to educate the West with a more
      realistic view of what is going on today here in this land which has been
      the meeting ground of warring peoples for many centuries.
      Keep praying for us. It is difficult living here but not nearly so
      immediately dangerous and you are led to believe.

      In Christ,
      r-monk James

      the above is in response to the following email recently received (sender's
      name removed for privacy):

      You know you bring us an entirely different perspective of the situation
      over there. All we hear are the stories of bombing in Jerusalem and the
      Palestinian terrorists. It is such a complicated situation. We hear of the
      Palestinian Muslims wanting Jerusalem and their desire to have Israel not
      exist. I will be totally honest with you. You have made me realize there is
      another side. I enjoy your messages. You are in my prayers in the middle of