Re: [orthodox-synod] VETERAN'S DAY

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2005
      HOOAH

      John Haluska <jhaluska01@...> wrote:To my fellow VETERANS, both those who have served, and are serving
      our Country:

      I SALUTE YOU!

      and

      THANK YOU!

      To the Viet Nam VETERANS:

      WELCOME HOME!

      To my fellow VETERAN'S who have given the Supreme Sacrifice:

      MAY GOD GRANT YOU REST!

      john

      +++++++++++++++++++++++

      What is a Veteran?

      Some veterans bear visible signs of their service...a missing limb, a
      jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

      Others may carry the evidence inside them...a pin holding a bone
      together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg...or perhaps another sort of
      inner steel... the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

      Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America
      safe wear no badge or emblem.

      You can't tell a vet just by looking.

      What is a vet?

      He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudia Arabia
      sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers
      didn't run out of fuel.

      He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose
      overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the
      cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th
      parallel.

      She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep
      sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

      He is the POW who went away one person and came back another -

      or didn't come back at all.

      He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat but has
      saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and
      gang members into Marines and teaching them to watch each other's
      backs.

      He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and
      medals with a prosthetic hand.

      He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals
      pass him by.

      He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns whose
      presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the
      memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with
      them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

      He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now
      and aggravatingly slow who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who
      wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when
      the nightmares come.

      He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who
      offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his
      country and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to
      sacrifice theirs.

      He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness and he
      is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the
      finest, greatest nation ever known.

      So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country,
      just lean over and say

      Thank You.

      That's all most people need and in most cases it will mean more than
      any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded. Two little
      words that mean a lot,

      "THANK YOU".

      Remember, November 11th is Veterans Day.

      Anonymous Author

      Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism