Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Bush Forbids the Ambassador of the US to Attend Chur...

  • antiquariu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      In a message dated 11/3/2005 1:41:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      casurgant@... writes:

      I am distressed that Ambassador Herbst has been slandered in this way. My
      apologies to the Hebst family for those of us who believed this story.
      The story had elements that appeared credible at first glance given our
      current focus on "political correctness' and growing religious supression in the
      U.S.

      For anyone concerned that the Russian government is interfering in Church
      affairs, perhaps you should look first at what is going on in this country.

      In a current controversy in the US military, Airforce chaplains have been
      prohibited from using the name "Jesus" in open prayer, since it might offend
      someone. This is a dramatic contrast with Russia today where priests are
      encouraged to have an active presence on military bases and in war zones.

      <<Big snip>>

      Dear Carol - not quite so fast. Your charges are nonsense, and you know it.
      The Air Force's actions were predicated on rampant thumper activity, where
      fundamentalist chaplains were intimidating non-fundamentalist cadets.

      The role of a military chaplain is to provide succor to the troops,
      regardless of religious affiliation. No other role, and definitely not proselytizing.

      Love in Christ,

      Vova Hindrichs, Orthodox Christian and Father of a Cadet