Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Apostolic Succession [was: Reflections]

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
      Dear Fr. John,

      In light of your very straight forward explanation of apostolic sucession could you please review the canonical legality of some "bishops" in ROCOR spliter groups. There seem to be a "bishop" hiding under every rock these days, all claiming ROCOR lineage. In particular

      1. 7 or 8 bishops supposedly created by retired Mp. Vitaly and/or Bsp. Varnava
      2. Mp. Valentin of Suzdal and his "bishops"
      3. Brothers Alferov and catacomb church

      many thanks
      Gene T

      "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:

      > Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:

      > >Who would believe that the day before democracy "arrived" in Russia,
      > >the MP was not the Church, and we did not have to unite with it, and
      > >since "democracy arrived", the MP all of a sudden got an apostolic
      > >sucession which did not exist before?

      Fr. Alexander Lebedeff replied:

      > When exactly do you feel did the MP lose apostolic succession?

      > Every bishop of the MP has apostolic succession from Patriarch
      > Sergius (Stragorodsky) or Patriarch Alexei I (Simanskiy) --both
      > consecrated to the episcopate before the Russian Revolution (the
      > first in 1901, and the latter in 1913).

      JRS: The difficulty here in debating with Vladimir Kozyreff is that he seems to have a different
      understanding of the expression "Apostolic succession" than the rest of us do.

      As taught universally by the Church, "Apostolic succession" means that a given bishop was
      consecrated (ordained) by other bishops, who in turn had been consecrated by bishops
      before them, ultimately going back to the Apostles.

      The Apostles consecrated their successors, by the laying on of hands.

      Each new bishop since that time has received the laying on of hands that goes back, in
      unbroken succession, to the Apostles.

      That is why at least two bishops are supposed to consecrate any given candidate: to make
      doubly certain that the succession of laying on of hands was maintained.

      But Vladimir Kozyreff, at least in earlier debates with me, has indicated that to him,
      "Apostolic succession" means something entirely different.

      Mr Kozyreff appears to view "Apostolic succession" as meaning someone is a worthy (i.e.
      approved) spiritual heir of the Apostles, not that he has an unbroken sequence of ordination
      from the Apostles.

      But the Church does not view hierarchs in such terms at all. Who is to judge what is in
      another's heart?

      Not liking someone (perhaps without really knowing anything about them) cannot deprive
      them of Apostolic succession.

      Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism

    • Fr. Stephen Fraser
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
        gene703 wrote:
        > Dear Fr. John,
        >
        > In light of your very straight forward explanation of apostolic
        > sucession could you please review the canonical legality of some
        > "bishops" in ROCOR spliter groups. There seem to be a "bishop" hiding
        > under every rock these days, all claiming ROCOR lineage. In particular
        >
        > 1. 7 or 8 bishops supposedly created by retired Mp. Vitaly and/or Bsp.
        > Varnava
        > 2. Mp. Valentin of Suzdal and his "bishops"
        > 3. Brothers Alferov and catacomb church
        >
        > many thanks
        > Gene T

        The definition of Apostolic Succession, recently posted, is not
        complete. Yes, its true, Apostolic Succession is the external
        laying-on of hands from one bishop to another starting with
        the Apostles, however, there is a great difference between
        Apostolic Succession as an ~external act~ and Apostolic Succession
        as a mysteriological act which conveys the grace of the holy
        priesthood. Heresy stops all succession of the grace of the
        priesthood and therefore Apostolic Succession - the physical
        laying-on of hands not withstanding.

        If a Church is in heresy, such as the Roman Catholic Church,
        deemed so in one of the other recent posts on this list, then,
        there is no Apostolic Succession in the Roman Catholic Church,
        or in any other heretical Church.

        The Laying-on of hands + the grace of the Holy Spirit (imparted
        through the laying-on of hands) = Apostolic Succession.

        No ~Orthodox~ Church, no Apostolic Succession.

        In Christ,
        Fr. Stephen
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
          Gene T wrote:

          > In light of your very straight forward explanation of apostolic sucession could you please
          review the canonical legality of some "bishops" in ROCOR spliter groups. There seem to be a
          "bishop" hiding under every rock these days, all claiming ROCOR lineage. In particular

          > 1. 7 or 8 bishops supposedly created by retired Mp. Vitaly and/or Bsp. Varnava
          > 2. Mp. Valentin of Suzdal and his "bishops"
          > 3. Brothers Alferov and catacomb church

          JRS: Apostolic succession is still not the same thing as Grace.

          As for the first two you mention (ROCiE and ROAC), a good case coould be made for their
          being "graceless", since they were founded by clergy who had been defrocked by ROCOR.

          To be honest, I don't know much about the Alferov brothers, and there are many catacomb
          churches, each of which would have to be studied as a separate case.

        • michael nikitin
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
            Holy Metr.Philaret wrote:

            In precisely the same manner, in receiving the Soviet clergy, we apply the
            principle of economia. And we receive the clergymen from Moscow not as ones
            possessing grace, but as ones receiving it by the very act of union. But to
            recognize the church of the evil-doers as the bearer and
            repository of grace, that we cannot do, of course. For outside of Orthodoxy
            there is no grace; and the Soviet church has deprived itself of grace.

            We are told the MP, "the church of the evil-doers", we in ROCOR cannot
            recognize as having grace.

            Michael N

            "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:
            Gene T wrote:

            > In light of your very straight forward explanation of apostolic sucession could you please
            review the canonical legality of some "bishops" in ROCOR spliter groups. There seem to be a
            "bishop" hiding under every rock these days, all claiming ROCOR lineage. In particular

            > 1. 7 or 8 bishops supposedly created by retired Mp. Vitaly and/or Bsp. Varnava
            > 2. Mp. Valentin of Suzdal and his "bishops"
            > 3. Brothers Alferov and catacomb church

            JRS: Apostolic succession is still not the same thing as Grace.

            As for the first two you mention (ROCiE and ROAC), a good case coould be made for their
            being "graceless", since they were founded by clergy who had been defrocked by ROCOR.

            To be honest, I don't know much about the Alferov brothers, and there are many catacomb
            churches, each of which would have to be studied as a separate case.

          • vkozyreff
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
              Dear Father John, bless.

              You write: "...Vladimir Kozyreff...seems to have a different
              understanding of the expression "Apostolic succession" than the rest
              of us do". And you go on, defining apostolic succession as a formal
              and mechanical thing.

              Your understanding of apostolic succession is an oversimplification.
              This oversimplification is needed to those who claim the MP has
              apostolic succession.

              Please see comments below. I suppose you will appreciate their origin.

              In God,

              Vladimir Kozyreff

              The Church understands Apostolic succession not merely as an external
              mechanical transfer of the very act of ordination but also the faith
              connected with this act namely the preservation of the Apostolic
              teaching on the grace of priesthood within a given group.

              This doesn't tie in too well with the view being analyzed. To receive
              an empty form lacking in grace, and at the same time to believe, in
              accordance with the Apostolic teaching, that one is receiving Divine
              grace, and to experience with this the appropriate thoughts and
              feelings, would be a self-delusion or, in theological language, a
              novelty.

              Novelties are not to be indulged in but should be fought with all
              available means. It would appear that in this case the Church somehow
              is attempting to keep the person undisturbed in his novelty, as if it
              is afraid to disturb the person's false convictions that he received
              effective grace in his heterodox ordination. Leaving aside the need
              for an Orthodox ordination the Church invents a special order for
              reception, that through the Mystery of repentance to convey
              implicite, and imperceptibly to the recipient, the grace of
              priesthood.

              Thus it would be closer to the truth and to the teaching of the
              Church to assume that where, outside the Church, the Apostolic
              succession, i.e. the Apostolic form of ordination and the Apostolic
              teaching about the grace of the priesthood has been preserved, there
              in the mind of the Church, ordination is not simply a form without
              grace and thus is not repeated in receiving such clerics into the
              Orthodox priesthood.

              http://www.holy-trinity.org/ecclesiology/succession-1.html

              <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:

              > > Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:
              >
              > > >Who would believe that the day before democracy "arrived" in
              Russia,
              > > >the MP was not the Church, and we did not have to unite with it,
              and
              > > >since "democracy arrived", the MP all of a sudden got an
              apostolic
              > > >sucession which did not exist before?
              >
              > Fr. Alexander Lebedeff replied:
              >
              > > When exactly do you feel did the MP lose apostolic succession?
              >
              > > Every bishop of the MP has apostolic succession from Patriarch
              > > Sergius (Stragorodsky) or Patriarch Alexei I (Simanskiy) --both
              > > consecrated to the episcopate before the Russian Revolution (the
              > > first in 1901, and the latter in 1913).
              >
              > JRS: The difficulty here in debating with Vladimir Kozyreff is that
              he seems to have a different
              > understanding of the expression "Apostolic succession" than the
              rest of us do.

              > As taught universally by the Church, "Apostolic succession" means
              that a given bishop was
              > consecrated (ordained) by other bishops, who in turn had been
              consecrated by bishops
              > before them, ultimately going back to the Apostles.
              >
              > The Apostles consecrated their successors, by the laying on of
              hands.

              > Each new bishop since that time has received the laying on of hands
              that goes back, in
              > unbroken succession, to the Apostles.
              >
              > That is why at least two bishops are supposed to consecrate any
              given candidate: to make
              > doubly certain that the succession of laying on of hands was
              maintained.

              > But Vladimir Kozyreff, at least in earlier debates with me, has
              indicated that to him,
              > "Apostolic succession" means something entirely different.
              >
              > Mr Kozyreff appears to view "Apostolic succession" as meaning
              someone is a worthy (i.e.
              > approved) spiritual heir of the Apostles, not that he has an
              unbroken sequence of ordination
              > from the Apostles.
              >
              > But the Church does not view hierarchs in such terms at all. Who is
              to judge what is in
              > another's heart?
              >
              > Not liking someone (perhaps without really knowing anything about
              them) cannot deprive
              > them of Apostolic succession.
              >
              > In Christ
              > Fr. John R. Shaw

            • orthodoxchurch_sg
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                <nikitinmike@y...> wrote:

                > This Apostolic succession is just a formality. Doesn't mean
                anything, unless it's corrected.

                > When are we going to correct all the ordinations of the MP? Or is
                it the other way around?

                > Don't forget our Synod's 1971 resolution finding the MP's
                Patriarch's uncanonical, without force, etc...or did they not sign
                it?

                Evlogeite!
                The ROCOR Synod said that the Election was uncanonical. All
                jurisdictions - as far as I am aware - have done things which are
                uncanonical, but this doesnt deprive them of Grace automatically.
                There are canonical ages for ordination to priesthood and episcopacy,
                for example. The Greek Old Calendar jurisdictions have in most cases
                ordained men below this canonical age. When I was a member of ROCOR
                in the 1980s one of the clergy used to arrive in church in blazer and
                boater and change for the services; the services were truncated
                horribly; the services were in a language hardly anybody understood;
                people paid for Confession. All of these things are uncanonical, are
                they not?
                Canonically we are forbidden to marry our godparents yet I know of at
                least one Traditional Orthodox who has done this. Canonically we are
                excommunicated if we do not attend Church for three weeks. When was
                the last time this actually occured? Retired Bishops are not allowed
                to have jurisdiction, yet ROCiE's Ruling Hierarch is retired.
                Yes, the election of the Patriarch in 1971 was uncanonical - there
                was secular interference, as there was with the election of every
                Metropolitan between the reigns of Peter the Great and S. Nicolas II.
                Was the taking of S. John of Shanghai to court canonical?
                Even in Texas they dont give the death penalty for every crime.
                God bless / Fr Daniel
              • michael nikitin
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
                  orthodoxchurch_sg <orthodoxchurch_sg@...> wrote:
                  "Even in Texas they dont give the death penalty for every crime."
                  God bless / Fr Daniel

                  Exactly Fr.Daniel. There are different canons. Some are more strictly followed
                  than others. You're trying to justify something you are not familiar with. Whoever told you that doesn't understand the canons well either.

                  The Synod proclaimed the Resolution of 1971. Fr. John claims one has to be taken
                  to court and judged...well, the MP were and were found guilty. The sentence was that the hierarch's are uncanonical and have no force. If they have no force, they
                  cannot bestow grace upon anything they do. They are nothing but laypeople posing as hierarch's. The Church cannot have any dialogue with this kind.

                  Michael N