Re: Clergy serving in new and old calendar parishes

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24 8:14 AM
      Dear Fathers, bless.

      This looks more like a talmudic than like a patristic discussion. It
      reminds or the anathema's original language that allegedly makes it

      But what about the salvation of our souls? Can we already ask
      intercession from Met Sergius? Or maybe this is a little premature,

      It is probably like the expected influenza pandemic, the question is
      not "whether" but "when". For the moment, no panic, let us just get

      In God,

      <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
      > Fr Alexander Lebedeff wrote:
      > > But what if he stands in the middle between the two floors where
      > > can hear the hymns being sung in both churches at the same time?
      > > that time, is he noetically celebrating the Nativity or Theophany?
      > JRS: On the other hand, though, if one were to have gone to Paris
      several decades ago, the
      > two levels of the Rue Daru cathedral would probably have been on
      the same calendar, while
      > ROCOR had two parishes in Paris: the large Romanian new-calendar
      church where
      > Metropolitan Philaret sometimes served on his visits, and the
      smaller Russian parish (now in
      > ROCiE) which was old calendar.
      > Both were in ROCOR then, and if someone stopped on the street after
      leaving one parish and
      > on his way to the other, which calendar would he have been on?
      > His own calendar, surely: the one he regularly followed.
      > > I asked him how he kept the fasts?
      > > He said, "This two calendar thing is really the best of both
      > > Father. I start all of the fixed date fasts on the Old Calendar,
      > > end them on the New. Cuts out two whole weeks of the Nativity
      > > you see. And the Dormition Fast turns out to be only a day long.
      > > really neat."
      > JRS: And then, assuming he followed the Julian *Paschalia* (as
      almot all Orthodox, except
      > those in the Church of Finland, do), with the fixed dates according
      to the new calendar, the
      > Apostles' Fast can often be a "minus number" of days.
      > It starts on the Monday after the Sunday of All Saints, and ends on
      Ss. Peter and Paul day.