KGB award

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
      Dear List,

      Patriarch Alexy II, in 1988 was awarded a certificate of honour by the
      chairman of the KGB. Was this award for his service to God or against
      God?

      Would the KGB award an order for a service to God?

      Is accepting an award from the KGB not an ackowledgement of the
      communist authorities' legitimacy?

      If the Patriarch was serving only one master, which was it? (Serving
      two masters, as far as a Patriarch is concerned, is serving Satan).

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff
    • tankercapt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2005
        Dear Vladimir,

        1988 the millennium year for the Baptism of Russia, a very big event indeed
        as Metropolitan Alexy (not Metropolitan at the time) started to prepare for
        this event from 23 December 1980 as deputy chairman of the Commission for the
        Preparation and Execution of the Celebration of the Millennium of the Baptism of
        Russia and chairman of the Organizational Group of the Commission, and
        chairman of the Theological Group from September 1986. On 25 May 1983 he was
        appointed chairman of the Executive Commission for the Transfer of the Danilov
        Monastery, organization and execution of all works for its restoration and
        construction of the Spiritual and Administrative Center of the Russian Orthodox Church
        on its territory.

        you can read his Bio here http://www.mospat.ru/index.php?mid=99 Given
        Metropolitan Alexy's hard work for both opening Saint Daniel's Monastery and
        preparing for the Millennium celebration of the Baptism of Russia the award in all
        probability was recognition for his hard work in this endeavor, and the
        celebration of the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia. By 1988 there had already
        been many changes in Russia

        Vladimir, have you ever seen the monument erected at Saint Daniels Monestary
        for the Millennium Celebration and drank from it's waters?

        In Christ

        Arthur J. Clark

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2005
          Dear Arthur,

          You write: "the award in all probability was recognition for his hard
          work in this endeavor, and the celebration of the Millennium of the
          Baptism of Russia".

          The award was not to the hierarch but to agent Drozdov.

          According to Keston, a file in the archive dated February 1988
          states: "An order of the USSR KGB chairman was prepared to award
          Agent Drozdov the Certificate of Honour."

          http://www.orthodox.net/russia/2000-09-23-irish-times.html

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, tankercapt@a... wrote:

          > Dear Vladimir,
          >
          > 1988 the millennium year for the Baptism of Russia, a very big
          event indeed
          > as Metropolitan Alexy (not Metropolitan at the time) started to
          prepare for
          > this event from 23 December 1980 as deputy chairman of the
          Commission for the
          > Preparation and Execution of the Celebration of the Millennium of
          the Baptism of
          > Russia and chairman of the Organizational Group of the Commission,
          and
          > chairman of the Theological Group from September 1986. On 25 May
          1983 he was
          > appointed chairman of the Executive Commission for the Transfer of
          the Danilov
          > Monastery, organization and execution of all works for its
          restoration and
          > construction of the Spiritual and Administrative Center of the
          Russian Orthodox Church
          > on its territory.
          >
          > you can read his Bio here http://www.mospat.ru/index.php?mid=99
          Given
          > Metropolitan Alexy's hard work for both opening Saint Daniel's
          Monastery and
          > preparing for the Millennium celebration of the Baptism of Russia
          the award in all
          > probability was recognition for his hard work in this endeavor, and
          the
          > celebration of the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia. By 1988
          there had already
          > been many changes in Russia
          >
          > Vladimir, have you ever seen the monument erected at Saint Daniels
          Monestary
          > for the Millennium Celebration and drank from it's waters?
          >
          > In Christ
          >
          > Arthur J. Clark
          >

          > In a message dated 10/10/2005 7:16:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > vladimir.kozyreff@s... writes:
          > Dear List,
          >
          > Patriarch Alexy II, in 1988 was awarded a certificate of honour by
          the
          > chairman of the KGB. Was this award for his service to God or
          against
          > God?
          >
          > Would the KGB award an order for a service to God?
          >
          > Is accepting an award from the KGB not an ackowledgement of the
          > communist authorities' legitimacy?
          >
          > If the Patriarch was serving only one master, which was it?
          (Serving
          > two masters, as far as a Patriarch is concerned, is serving Satan).
          >
          > In God,
          >
          > Vladimir Kozyreff

        • V. Boitchenko
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 18, 2005
            Liubeznyi Vladimir:

            Since when is Keston or Irish Times are good sources on Orthodox history? As far as I am concerned they are as good as OBS sources (Odna baba skazala). You know, there are plenty of anticlerical and anti-Orthodox, but nonetheless, reputable historians in Russia, and none of them regards "agent Drozdov" story as credible. Your father was a very good man: I would rather be deceived than trust some "Keston."

            >According to Keston, a file in the archive dated February 1988
            >states: "An order of the USSR KGB chairman was prepared to award
            >Agent Drozdov the Certificate of Honour."

            I would imagine that the Ge-Be in fact interrogated Pat. Alexii when he was only a hiero-monk in Estonia, and possibly they had him sign some sort of standard form that he would report any suspicions activity that could endanger Soviet people. That was a common practice. See Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago: according to his book he found out that after he signed the form he was attached a code name. So, far even the Kestons and the like have not been able to show anything more substantial.

            Yours,

            Slava

> [...]

            Monestary
            > for the Millennium Celebration and drank from it's waters?
            >
            > In Christ
            >
            > Arthur J. Clark
            >

            > In a message dated 10/10/2005 7:16:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > vladimir.kozyreff@s... writes:
            > Dear List,
            >
            > Patriarch Alexy II, in 1988 was awarded a certificate of honour by
            the
            > chairman of the KGB. Was this award for his service to God or
            against
            > God?
            >
            > Would the KGB award an order for a service to God?
            >
            > Is accepting an award from the KGB not an ackowledgement of the
            > communist authorities' legitimacy?
            >
            > If the Patriarch was serving only one master, which was it?
            (Serving
            > two masters, as far as a Patriarch is concerned, is serving Satan).

            Greek orthodox church Sect of judaism