Re: off topic? Strange question re: bears.

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2005
      Dear Matushka,

      Bears are not that terrible to orthodox.

      One was a friend to St Seraphim of Sarov.

      http://www.vniief.ru/church/holy.html

      Another one rescued Metropolitan Peter while in exile. He was thrown
      out of railway a carriage to freeze to death, while Met Sergius was
      writing declarations.

      http://www.synodinresistance.gr/Theo_en/E3d5023NMPetr.pdf

      Holy martyr St Dorymedon was spared by the bear to which he had been
      given by his torturers to be eaten up.

      http://www.orthodox.net/menaion-september/19-holy-martyrs-trophimus-
      sabbatius-and-dorymedon.html

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "(matushka) Ann Lardas"
      <matanna@a...> wrote:
      > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa
      shoots
      > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
      > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
      > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
      > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
      > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
      > know:
      >
      > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
      > wolves that they shot?
      >
      > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
      >
      > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
      > people?
      >
      > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
      > more likely to know than anyone else.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Matushka Ann Lardas
    • Michael Malloy
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
        <matanna@a...> wrote:
        > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa shoots
        > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets.

        I suppose if one MUST kill a bear, it would be good to use the remains
        for something.

        Years ago, long before we were Orthodox, my wife and I fell in love
        with "Bart the Bear" through the motion picture "The Bear" based on
        "The Grizzly King : A Romance of the Wild" by James Oliver Curwood.
        We see these fearsome wild animals in a different light thanks to that
        excellent motion picture.

        Because "Man" is the most dangerous animal on the planet, I'm less
        inclined to approve of killing bears.

        Reader Michael Malloy
        Living in Columbus OH
        Worshiping in Cincinnati OH
      • rebekah_moser
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
          <athanasiosj@j...> wrote:
          > Though Christians may be permitted to eat any creature with
          > thanksgiving, the exception to this would be the bodies of
          > our fellow human beings

          Weeellllll, if bears eat people, and then people eat bears, could that
          be considered people eating people in an indirect sort of way?

          Rebekah Moser
        • CW
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
            Dimitra,
            Au jus usually does not contain blood but the juices from the meat much the same as broth. I cook a lot of Asian-Indian food and buy items from several local Indian groceries. One time I entered one and saw some chilies, I said I wanted to buy them but the owner said she could not sell them as she had already offered them to the gods. One store I buy from is owned my a Muslim he also has Hindu items in the store but they are not set aside for religious purposes. He sells a lot of them to people who use them to decorate their homes. I doubt any Hindu would sell something "sacred" to someone who would not value it as "sacred."

            Jéan-Claude
            Columbus, Ohio
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
              See this recent news item entitled
              French hunters sick after eating Quebec bear
              (Canadian Press):

              http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050928/bearmeat_s
              ickness_20050928/20050928?hub=SciTech

              <athanasiosj@j...> wrote:

              > That being said, there may well be potential health risks
              > associated with eating some carnivors that we may want to
              > avoid if we can.
            • gene703
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                I hunt several times a year and have no problem skinning a dear ar a boar but several years ago on the trip to Alaska I had a chance to take down a bear, had it in my sights and could not pull a trigger, instead I was glued to binoculars for the next 20 minuts. I don't understand people who kill for fun, hunting animals like bear or elefant or shark is plain ugly and should be condemned. Real Americans don't shoot what they don't eat. That's conservation, environmental stewarship if you will.

                vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@...> wrote:Dear Matushka,

                <matanna@a...> wrote:
                > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa
                shoots
                > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
                > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
                > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
                > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
                > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
                > know:
                >
                > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
                > wolves that they shot?
                >
                > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
                >
                > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
                > people?
                >
                > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
                > more likely to know than anyone else.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > In Christ,
                > Matushka Ann Lardas

              • Athanasios Jayne
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "cantor71"
                  <gskok@r...> wrote:
                  > See this recent news item...<<

                  Thanks for referencing the article. I didn't know
                  they carried this disease (which is usually associated
                  with pigs).

                  I'll have to keep it in mind the next time I bag a grizzly.

                  Athanasios.