Re: off topic? Strange question re: bears.

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2005
      Dear Matushka,

      Bears are not that terrible to orthodox.

      One was a friend to St Seraphim of Sarov.

      http://www.vniief.ru/church/holy.html

      Another one rescued Metropolitan Peter while in exile. He was thrown
      out of railway a carriage to freeze to death, while Met Sergius was
      writing declarations.

      http://www.synodinresistance.gr/Theo_en/E3d5023NMPetr.pdf

      Holy martyr St Dorymedon was spared by the bear to which he had been
      given by his torturers to be eaten up.

      http://www.orthodox.net/menaion-september/19-holy-martyrs-trophimus-
      sabbatius-and-dorymedon.html

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "(matushka) Ann Lardas"
      <matanna@a...> wrote:
      > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa
      shoots
      > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
      > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
      > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
      > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
      > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
      > know:
      >
      > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
      > wolves that they shot?
      >
      > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
      >
      > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
      > people?
      >
      > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
      > more likely to know than anyone else.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Matushka Ann Lardas
    • Michael Malloy
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
        <matanna@a...> wrote:
        > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa shoots
        > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets.

        I suppose if one MUST kill a bear, it would be good to use the remains
        for something.

        Years ago, long before we were Orthodox, my wife and I fell in love
        with "Bart the Bear" through the motion picture "The Bear" based on
        "The Grizzly King : A Romance of the Wild" by James Oliver Curwood.
        We see these fearsome wild animals in a different light thanks to that
        excellent motion picture.

        Because "Man" is the most dangerous animal on the planet, I'm less
        inclined to approve of killing bears.

        Reader Michael Malloy
        Living in Columbus OH
        Worshiping in Cincinnati OH
      • DDD
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
          Bless, Fathers,

          Ever since I re-read the part in the Acts about the Gentile converts not having to obey the Law of Moses, except for strangled animals and blood, I feel a little funny with steak au jus--isn't that blood, and if so, are we allowed to eat it?
          On the other hand, why would we have to keep just that and not all the rest of the Mosaic law? And if we really keep that, wouldn't we have to "kosher" our meat by washing and salting the daylights out of it just the same way the Jews do?
          Finally, how did this restriction about carnivore foods (and strangled and blood) being "skverdoedenie" eventually get dropped (or ignored)?

          Thank you for any answers and asking your prayers,
          Dimitra

          P.S. The other parts of the Apostolic prohibition are immorality and things sacrificed to idols. I used to think the latter was moot, but there's a neat Indian store in Cambridge that has sesame chikki--a nice fasting sweet--as well as lots of other vegetarian food. They are obviously Hindu and have all sorts of idols around. Who knows whether they offer their stuff to idols or ask idols to bless it? I know St. Paul said to just buy things in the market and not ask. He also said obscure things about having the "freedom" to eat idol-sacrifices, evidently even if you did know it was sacrificed to idols. On the other hand, I believe there are some saints who died rather than eating things sacrificed to idols. This confuses me: why die if you are "free" to eat it? St. Peter was really right (as far as I am concerned) about St. Paul's writings being hard to understand. I'm not knocking St. Paul, but sometimes he seems to talk circles around himself and even contradict what he has already said. I mean this in a simple way--as in, *I* need to understand him, not that *he* is wrong. Any help appreciated.

          In pre-Nikonian times Russians were pretty strict about those things
          and eating carnivores would fall under "skvernoyadenie", that is,
          eating fobidden things. Same for animals caught by strangling (such as
          hares) and for eating products made of blood (such as blood sausages).
          There is a special prayer rule for those who sinned in this way...

          <matanna@a...> wrote:
          > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa shoots
          > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
          > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
          > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
          > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
          > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
          > know:
          >
          > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
          > wolves that they shot?
          >
          > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
          >
          > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
          > people?
          >
          > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
          > more likely to know than anyone else.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > In Christ,
          > Matushka Ann Lardas

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Nicholas Steblez
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
            While trichinosis has just about vanished as a threat when eating undercooked pork (thanks to many years of vaccinating swine), it is still quite common in bear meat, and all precautions should be observed. Also, bear meat has been known to bring about attacks of gouty arthritis.

            In Christ,
            Nicholas

          • Athanasios Jayne
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
              <matanna@a...> wrote:

              > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
              > people?

              Dear Matushka,

              I've never seen or heard of a canonical prohibition of this kind.

              Since Christ said that we ought to receive with thanksgiving
              whatever is set before us, and that it is what comes *out*
              of a man, that is, from his heart, that can make a man
              unclean, and not what goes into him, it seems to me that
              there is no creature that a Christian is absolutely forbidden
              to eat, including carnivors.

              That being said, there may well be potential health risks
              associated with eating some carnivors that we may want to
              avoid if we can. But keep in mind, for example, that many
              fish are carnivors, because they eat other fish. Likewise
              many birds are carnivors--or at least omnivors.

              Though Christians may be permitted to eat any creature with
              thanksgiving, the exception to this would be the bodies of
              our fellow human beings, which are holy, and which await the
              resurrection, and so to eat them would be a sacrilege, even
              as cremation (to a much lesser extent of course) is a form of
              sacriledge (in my opinion).

              Athanasios.
            • (matushka) Ann Lardas
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                Father, bless!

                Thank you!

                I suspected that it was as you've written -- that the consumption of
                bear meat happens, that it probably wasn't encouraged, that it
                wouldn't be pleasant.

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Alexey Chumakov"
                <achumakov@h...> wrote:
                > I've tried bear meat once, in early 80's, it was pretty terrible and
                > did not feel right, almost like eating human flesh.
                > Bears were mostly hunted for fur in Russia, and not for meat. Fat
                was
                > also supposed to have some kind of medicinal value, but, generally,
                it
                > was the game that nobility played.
                > Same for wolves, no one in his sane mind would eat a wolf, it was
                only
                > hunted for fur and as a trophee.
                >

                > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, variorum@a... wrote:
                > >
                > > In a message dated 10/4/05 4:24:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > > matanna@a... writes:
                > >
                > > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears
                and
                > > wolves that they shot?
                > >
                > > But why the question on an Orthodox list?
                > > Guten Apetit...
                > > Vladimir

                Where else would so many people know what the norm was in Russia?
                Helps me to put American practice in context.

                Thank you for your help in this!
                In Christ,
                Matushka Ann Lardas
              • Athanasios Jayne
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                  The liver of a bear (at least, the polar bear)
                  contains so much Vitamin A, that it is toxic
                  to anyone who eats too much of it, and can
                  actually result in death.

                  So, skip the liver.

                  Athanasios.

                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Steblez
                  <crocodile1953@y...> wrote:
                  > While trichinosis has just about vanished as a threat when eating
                  undercooked pork (thanks to many years of vaccinating swine), it is
                  still quite common in bear meat, and all precautions should be
                  observed. Also, bear meat has been known to bring about attacks of
                  gouty arthritis.

                  > In Christ,
                  > Nicholas
                • aprmih
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                    <achumakov@h...> wrote:
                    > In pre-Nikonian times Russians were pretty strict about those things
                    > and eating carnivores would fall under "skvernoyadenie", that is,
                    > eating fobidden things. Same for animals caught by strangling (such
                    as
                    > hares) and for eating products made of blood (such as blood
                    sausages).
                    > There is a special prayer rule for those who sinned in this way...

                    I think I understand the restriction about blood-based products, but
                    what is the explanation for the others? (just curious...)

                    Alex
                  • rebekah_moser
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
                      <athanasiosj@j...> wrote:
                      > Though Christians may be permitted to eat any creature with
                      > thanksgiving, the exception to this would be the bodies of
                      > our fellow human beings

                      Weeellllll, if bears eat people, and then people eat bears, could that
                      be considered people eating people in an indirect sort of way?

                      Rebekah Moser
                    • CW
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                        Dimitra,
                        Au jus usually does not contain blood but the juices from the meat much the same as broth. I cook a lot of Asian-Indian food and buy items from several local Indian groceries. One time I entered one and saw some chilies, I said I wanted to buy them but the owner said she could not sell them as she had already offered them to the gods. One store I buy from is owned my a Muslim he also has Hindu items in the store but they are not set aside for religious purposes. He sells a lot of them to people who use them to decorate their homes. I doubt any Hindu would sell something "sacred" to someone who would not value it as "sacred."

                        Jéan-Claude
                        Columbus, Ohio

                        <matanna@a...> wrote:
                        > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa shoots
                        > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
                        > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
                        > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
                        > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
                        > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
                        > know:
                        >
                        > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
                        > wolves that they shot?
                        >
                        > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
                        >
                        > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
                        > people?
                        >
                        > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
                        > more likely to know than anyone else.
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > In Christ,
                        > Matushka Ann Lardas

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Sect of judaism

                      • cantor71
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                          See this recent news item entitled
                          French hunters sick after eating Quebec bear
                          (Canadian Press):

                          http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050928/bearmeat_s
                          ickness_20050928/20050928?hub=SciTech

                          <athanasiosj@j...> wrote:

                          > That being said, there may well be potential health risks
                          > associated with eating some carnivors that we may want to
                          > avoid if we can.
                        • gene703
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                            I hunt several times a year and have no problem skinning a dear ar a boar but several years ago on the trip to Alaska I had a chance to take down a bear, had it in my sights and could not pull a trigger, instead I was glued to binoculars for the next 20 minuts. I don't understand people who kill for fun, hunting animals like bear or elefant or shark is plain ugly and should be condemned. Real Americans don't shoot what they don't eat. That's conservation, environmental stewarship if you will.

                            vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@...> wrote:Dear Matushka,

                            <matanna@a...> wrote:
                            > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa
                            shoots
                            > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
                            > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
                            > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
                            > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
                            > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
                            > know:
                            >
                            > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
                            > wolves that they shot?
                            >
                            > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
                            >
                            > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
                            > people?
                            >
                            > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
                            > more likely to know than anyone else.
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > In Christ,
                            > Matushka Ann Lardas

                          • Athanasios Jayne
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
                              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "cantor71"
                              <gskok@r...> wrote:
                              > See this recent news item...<<

                              Thanks for referencing the article. I didn't know
                              they carried this disease (which is usually associated
                              with pigs).

                              I'll have to keep it in mind the next time I bag a grizzly.

                              Athanasios.