Is Fr. Alexander Lebedev OK in California, wildfires?

  • DDD
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
      Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern California--I see the wildfires are still raging nearby...

      Thanks,
      Dimitra
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
        Dimitra wrote:

        > Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern California--I see the
        wildfires are still raging nearby...

        JRS: Fr. Alexander posted on another list today, and did not say anything about his situation,
        so at least he is OK.

      • DDD
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
          Slava Bogu. Thank you, Fr. John!

          --Dimitra

          Dimitra wrote:

          > Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern California--I see the
          wildfires are still raging nearby...

          JRS: Fr. Alexander posted on another list today, and did not say anything about his situation,
          so at least he is OK.

        • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
            Dimitra wrote:

            >Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern
            >California--I see the wildfires are still raging nearby...
            >
            >Thanks,
            > Dimitra

            Dear Dimitra and all of the others who have enquired about our well
            being and the situation of our home with regard to the wildfires.

            Glory be to God, we are well, and our house has been spared.

            We live in the foothills above the San Fernando Valley, in a small
            community called Bell Canyon, which was in the midst of the path of
            the brush fire that roared across the mountain canyons last week.

            On Wednesday last, in the early afternoon, we heard on the news that
            a serious brush fire has started in Chatsworth and was moving
            Southwest--in our home's direction. We decided to move Matushka's
            mother, who is 91, out of any danger, driving her to her son's house.
            Meanwhile, we remained calm, expecting that the fires would pass our
            community by, as they had on two occasions in the past. We served a
            supplicatory canon to the Mother of God, asking for Her protection
            and proceeded to prepare dinner.

            At about 8 p.m., a Ventura County Sheriff's vehicle pulled up, and
            informed us that the fire was approaching and he suggested that we
            make preparations in case we would have to evacuate. He also was
            performing a survey, taking down the names of all residents,
            visitors, and workers found in Bell Canyon at that time.

            We began to load up the vehicles with our most treasured
            belongings--icons, irreplaceable church books, family pictures,
            diplomas, certificate of ordination, etc., as well as necessities,
            such as medications and toiletries--not to mention the home computer
            (just the box) and external disk drive. Matushka insisted on
            evacuating with all her hats.

            By this time, we could see much more than just a red glow in the sky.
            I took some pictures of the approaching firestorm, and noted a tree
            outlined against the sky on the ridge closest to our house. I
            said--"if that tree goes, we're out of here."

            Fifteen minutes later, the tree was spectacularly ablaze. By this
            time, we could see the fires coming down the hills toward our house
            from three sides. The fires roared up the hill toward a house across
            the way from us, and we could see the balcony of the house begin to
            burn. We were sure that house would be lost, but an aerial drop of
            water extinguished the flames. (It should be noted that air
            operations (water drops and chemical retardant drops) normally cease
            at sundown for safety reasons, but they continued into the night for this fire.

            With only one road into and out of Bell Canyon, it was clear that it
            was time to leave. As we decided this, confirmation came from
            sheriff's vehicles announcing, using bullhorns, announcing mandatory
            evacuation.

            It should be noted that this is horse country, and many of the homes
            in the area have their own stable facilities. Horse trailers began
            arriving and the staging area for loading them was directly below our
            house. It was heart-rending to see these magnificent animals so
            obviously frightened by the smoke and the flames visible from all sides.

            We loaded up our cars with our own animals (a very big dog and a very
            small dog, both quite excited about this adventure) and left the
            house in God's hands.

            That night, we slept in our cars, with the animals.

            In the morning, the fate of the homes in Bell Canyon was not clear.
            All we could see was towering smoke above our area, and helicopters
            and planes flying all over.

            That day, we were not allowed back into the canyon at all. After many
            phone calls, we finally were able to find a hotel that would take us
            with our animals, and stayed there the second night, watching the
            news reports on television, which continuously talked about Bell
            Canyon being the place where the fiercest battles with the blaze were
            occurring, and where the most "hot spots" were. The most encouraging
            news was that only one home was reported to have been destroyed.

            In the morning we were able to reach the Bell Canyon guard gate and
            were informed that residents with identification were being allowed
            back in. We drove in and were appalled at the sight of the hills
            surrounding Bell Canyon completely blackened--and many of the
            interior roads showed areas around the homes that were blackened, as well.

            Our house, thanks to the Protection of the Holy Mother of God, was
            untouched, although from the windows we see how close the flames came
            to many of the houses in our area.

            The firefighters had done an absolutely magnificent job.

            We thank all of you for your prayers.

            With love in Christ,

            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

          • DDD
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
              Dear Fr. Alexander, Bless!

              Thank you very much for the story--very glad and thanking God for you and your family's safety, and also edified, seeing that the Most Holy Mother of God even now guards us under Her holy protection...

              --Asking your prayers,
              Dimitra

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Fr. Alexey Chumakov
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                Glory be to God, that you are safe, Fr. Alexander. I saw the flames
                from the safety of Tarzana, and prayed (probably the same)
                supplicatory canon to Most HOly Theotokos that you did. However, I did
                not realise it was THAT close, and I am sorry I was not able to reach
                you and offer to stay in our house.
                All the hillsides around were ablaze and it was indeed a frightening
                sight. Living in the place like this, every time we say those litanies
                about earthquake and fires - it seems so close to home and heartfealt.