Re: Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Sept. 27th

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
      Dear GB,

      Below is a summary of Ushakov's actions against the French revolution.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      ...Several years later a rash of Napoleonic wars that engulfed Europe
      in the wake of the French Revolution forced Russian Emperor Pavel I
      to dispatch Field Marshal Alexander Suvorov to Northern Italy and
      Admiral Ushakov into the Mediterranean to take on the French who had
      fortified their positions on the Ionian islands. This time round
      Turkey and Russia were fighting hand in hand and Ushakov led a joint
      Russian-Turkish flotilla to engage the French troops who had dug
      themselves in on the Mediterranean islands. Several artful landing
      operations later the French were forced to vacate the islands and
      fall back. In that naval campaign Fyodor Ushakov distinguished
      himself in the assault on the impregnable fortress on Corfu Island
      and its subsequent capture in 1799. Getting word of that momentous
      victory Alexander Suvorov, now a Generalissimo, wished he had fought
      in that battle even as a midshipman. Shortly after capturing the
      Corfu Island and the Ionian Islands the Russian squadron commended by
      Admiral Ushakov drove the French out of Rome and Naples. These
      victories led to the establishment of the so-called Seven-Island
      Republic – a Greek Orthodox state and a protectorate of the Russian
      Emperor Pavel I.

      http://www.vor.ru/English/whims/whims_017.html

      Bonaparte's expedition seized Malta from the Knights of Saint John on
      June 9 1799 and then landed successfully at Alexandria on July 1,
      eluding (temporarily) pursuit by the Royal Navy. Although Bonaparte
      had massive success against the native Mamluk army in the Battle of
      the Pyramids (his 25,000 man strong invading force defeated a 100,000
      man army), his fleet was largely destroyed by Nelson at The Battle of
      the Nile, so that Bonaparte became land-bound. His goal of
      strengthening the French position in the Mediterranean Sea was thus
      frustrated, but his army nonetheless succeeded in consolidating power
      in Egypt, although it faced repeated nationalist uprisings.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Bonaparte

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "G. B." <barabtarlog@m...>
      wrote:
      > Rev. Alex Kotar wrote:
      >
      > > "Admiral Ushakov was a Russian (not of the Communist era) hero
      who
      > >helped repel the
      > >invasion of Napoleon."
      >

      > The latter statement is dubious: Adm. Ushakov had retired before
      the
      > invasion of 1812, and although he was elected head of the local
      > militia (Tambov?) he declined owing to infirmity. If help he did,
      it
      > must have been by prayer alone.
      >
      > GB
    • vkozyreff
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
        Dear Gene,

        What captivity do you mean? The "Patriarch" had a breathtaking
        career, travelled abroad and spied while priests and bishops were
        dying in concentration camps.

        When awarding orders to spies and cops, he just deals with colleagues.

        A good principle is to make simple work hypotheses first, before
        going to more complicated ones. No Stockholm is needed here.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        PS I am always shocked by the expression "Christian denomination",
        which is so little orthodox and so ecumenical. There is only one
        Christian Church, the orthodox Church.

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@y...> wrote:
        > Has anyone, anywhere in recent memory seen any head of any major
        Christian denomination in the West blessing long range strategic
        nuclear bombers and giving out an endless stream of church orders to
        heads of national intelligence and interior ministries ? Wow, talk
        about Sergianism embedded on an almost genetic level. Patriarch
        Alexei 2 just can't pass a spy ot a cop without bestowing some kind
        of award. It must be this affinity for the kidnappers that victims
        sometime develop after prolonged captivity.

        > DDD <dimitradd@c...> wrote:
        > I couldn't agree more! Maybe he'd be happier if they were still
        naming their ships after the Christian-killing Lenin. Would that
        everyone in our navies and military would end their days as St.
        Fyodor (Ushakov) did, having quit the military and retired to perform
        great works of charity.

        > --Dimitra Dwelley
        >

        > To: viewerservices@m...
        >
        > Re: Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Sept. 27th
        >
        > I would like to register my protest against Mr. Olbermann's
        > classification His Holiness the Patriarch of Russia Alexei II as the
        > third worst person in the world. ?From the transcript:
        >

        > "But, first, time for COUNTDOWN`s list of today`s three nominees for
        > the coveted title of worst person in world.
        >
        > Nominated at the bronze level, Patriarch Alexei II, the head of the
        > Russian Orthodox Church, who has just this week elevated a Russian
        > military hero from the era of Napoleon. ?Admiral Fiodor Ushakov has
        > been named the church`s patron saint of long distance Russian
        > aircraft carrying nuclear weapons.
        >
        > Then lobbeth thou thy holy hand grenade."
        >

        > As an Orthodox Christian, I find this comment insulting, not only to
        > myself but also to the whole Christian community. ?I believe that
        > Mr. Olbermann should apologize for such a bigoted and callous tirade
        > and retract his statement. ?The patriarch, in the interest of
        > instilling Christian ideals in the pilots of the Russian Airforce,
        > named a historical hero as their patron. ?Admiral Ushakov was a
        > Russian (not of the Communist era) hero who helped repel the
        > invasion of Napolean. ?Besides being a military hero, he led a life
        > of Christian piety and prayer and tried to instill the sense
        > compassion and charity in his men. ?From what I recall from US
        > history classes, we attribute similar characteristics to George
        > Washington. ?Does not the US name its warships, some of which carry
        > nuclear weapons, after its heroes, such as Lincoln and Eisenhower,
        > in order to inspire its armed forces to a higher ideal?
        >

        > I would like to know what Mr. Olbermann finds so horrible in the
        > Patriarch's actions. ?Is it the fact the Patriarch is trying is
        > inspire Christian values in the Russian military? ?As an American-
        > born Christian of Russian heritage, I am deeply insulted and MSNBC
        > has lost another viewer.
        >

        > Rev. Alex Kotar
        >
        > Seattle, WA

        > Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Sect of judaism

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

      • michael nikitin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
          Why doesn't MP recognize the Sainthood of St.Joseph of Petrograd?

          Why is this admiral's elevation to Sainthood not questioned, but Holy Metr. Philaret's is?

          When union occurs, what can/will ROCOR do if MP glorifies Metr.Sergius to Sainthood?
          Is it possible we can pray to him as a Saint?

          http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050926/od_afp/russiareligionmilitaryoffbeat

          Michael N

          DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:
          I couldn't agree more! Maybe he'd be happier if they were still naming their ships after the Christian-killing Lenin. Would that everyone in our navies and military would end their days as St. Fyodor (Ushakov) did, having quit the military and retired to perform great works of charity.

          --Dimitra Dwelley

        • G. B.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
            Yes, this is all true and well-known. The point
            made in the original letter was about Adm.
            Ushakov's repelling of the Napoleonic invasion -
            of Russia, I thought, rather than Italy or the
            Archipelago.

            GB

          • orthodoxchurch_sg
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@y...> wrote:

              It must be this affinity for the kidnappers that victims sometime
              develop after prolonged captivity.

              Evlogeite!
              Maybe that explains retired Vl Vitaly's situation.
              God bless / Fr Daniel