Re: [orthodox-synod] Stockholm syndrom

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
      Has anyone, anywhere in recent memory seen any head of any major Christian denomination in the West blessing long range strategic nuclear bombers and giving out an endless stream of church orders to heads of national intelligence and interior ministries ? Wow, talk about Sergianism embedded on an almost genetic level. Patriarch Alexei 2 just can't pass a spy ot a cop without bestowing some kind of award. It must be this affinity for the kidnappers that victims sometime develop after prolonged captivity.

      DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:
      I couldn't agree more! Maybe he'd be happier if they were still naming their ships after the Christian-killing Lenin. Would that everyone in our navies and military would end their days as St. Fyodor (Ushakov) did, having quit the military and retired to perform great works of charity.

      --Dimitra Dwelley

      To: viewerservices@...

      Re: Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Sept. 27th

      I would like to register my protest against Mr. Olbermann's
      classification His Holiness the Patriarch of Russia Alexei II as the
      third worst person in the world. ?From the transcript:

      "But, first, time for COUNTDOWN`s list of today`s three nominees for
      the coveted title of worst person in world.

      Nominated at the bronze level, Patriarch Alexei II, the head of the
      Russian Orthodox Church, who has just this week elevated a Russian
      military hero from the era of Napoleon. ?Admiral Fiodor Ushakov has
      been named the church`s patron saint of long distance Russian
      aircraft carrying nuclear weapons.

      Then lobbeth thou thy holy hand grenade."

      As an Orthodox Christian, I find this comment insulting, not only to
      myself but also to the whole Christian community. ?I believe that
      Mr. Olbermann should apologize for such a bigoted and callous tirade
      and retract his statement. ?The patriarch, in the interest of
      instilling Christian ideals in the pilots of the Russian Airforce,
      named a historical hero as their patron. ?Admiral Ushakov was a
      Russian (not of the Communist era) hero who helped repel the
      invasion of Napolean. ?Besides being a military hero, he led a life
      of Christian piety and prayer and tried to instill the sense
      compassion and charity in his men. ?From what I recall from US
      history classes, we attribute similar characteristics to George
      Washington. ?Does not the US name its warships, some of which carry
      nuclear weapons, after its heroes, such as Lincoln and Eisenhower,
      in order to inspire its armed forces to a higher ideal?

      I would like to know what Mr. Olbermann finds so horrible in the
      Patriarch's actions. ?Is it the fact the Patriarch is trying is
      inspire Christian values in the Russian military? ?As an American-
      born Christian of Russian heritage, I am deeply insulted and MSNBC
      has lost another viewer.

      Rev. Alex Kotar

      Seattle, WA

      Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Sect of judaism

    • G. B.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        Rev. Alex Kotar wrote:

        > "Admiral Ushakov was a Russian (not of the Communist era) hero who
        >helped repel the
        >invasion of Napoleon."

        The latter statement is dubious: Adm. Ushakov had retired before the
        invasion of 1812, and although he was elected head of the local
        militia (Tambov?) he declined owing to infirmity. If help he did, it
        must have been by prayer alone.

        GB
      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
          Dear GB,

          Below is a summary of Ushakov's actions against the French revolution.

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          ...Several years later a rash of Napoleonic wars that engulfed Europe
          in the wake of the French Revolution forced Russian Emperor Pavel I
          to dispatch Field Marshal Alexander Suvorov to Northern Italy and
          Admiral Ushakov into the Mediterranean to take on the French who had
          fortified their positions on the Ionian islands. This time round
          Turkey and Russia were fighting hand in hand and Ushakov led a joint
          Russian-Turkish flotilla to engage the French troops who had dug
          themselves in on the Mediterranean islands. Several artful landing
          operations later the French were forced to vacate the islands and
          fall back. In that naval campaign Fyodor Ushakov distinguished
          himself in the assault on the impregnable fortress on Corfu Island
          and its subsequent capture in 1799. Getting word of that momentous
          victory Alexander Suvorov, now a Generalissimo, wished he had fought
          in that battle even as a midshipman. Shortly after capturing the
          Corfu Island and the Ionian Islands the Russian squadron commended by
          Admiral Ushakov drove the French out of Rome and Naples. These
          victories led to the establishment of the so-called Seven-Island
          Republic – a Greek Orthodox state and a protectorate of the Russian
          Emperor Pavel I.

          http://www.vor.ru/English/whims/whims_017.html

          Bonaparte's expedition seized Malta from the Knights of Saint John on
          June 9 1799 and then landed successfully at Alexandria on July 1,
          eluding (temporarily) pursuit by the Royal Navy. Although Bonaparte
          had massive success against the native Mamluk army in the Battle of
          the Pyramids (his 25,000 man strong invading force defeated a 100,000
          man army), his fleet was largely destroyed by Nelson at The Battle of
          the Nile, so that Bonaparte became land-bound. His goal of
          strengthening the French position in the Mediterranean Sea was thus
          frustrated, but his army nonetheless succeeded in consolidating power
          in Egypt, although it faced repeated nationalist uprisings.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Bonaparte

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "G. B." <barabtarlog@m...>
          wrote:
          > Rev. Alex Kotar wrote:
          >
          > > "Admiral Ushakov was a Russian (not of the Communist era) hero
          who
          > >helped repel the
          > >invasion of Napoleon."
          >

          > The latter statement is dubious: Adm. Ushakov had retired before
          the
          > invasion of 1812, and although he was elected head of the local
          > militia (Tambov?) he declined owing to infirmity. If help he did,
          it
          > must have been by prayer alone.
          >
          > GB
        • vkozyreff
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
            Dear Gene,

            What captivity do you mean? The "Patriarch" had a breathtaking
            career, travelled abroad and spied while priests and bishops were
            dying in concentration camps.

            When awarding orders to spies and cops, he just deals with colleagues.

            A good principle is to make simple work hypotheses first, before
            going to more complicated ones. No Stockholm is needed here.

            In God,

            Vladimir Kozyreff

            PS I am always shocked by the expression "Christian denomination",
            which is so little orthodox and so ecumenical. There is only one
            Christian Church, the orthodox Church.

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > invasion of Napolean. ?Besides being a military hero, he led a life
            > of Christian piety and prayer and tried to instill the sense
            > compassion and charity in his men. ?From what I recall from US
            > history classes, we attribute similar characteristics to George
            > Washington. ?Does not the US name its warships, some of which carry
            > nuclear weapons, after its heroes, such as Lincoln and Eisenhower,
            > in order to inspire its armed forces to a higher ideal?
            >

            > I would like to know what Mr. Olbermann finds so horrible in the
            > Patriarch's actions. ?Is it the fact the Patriarch is trying is
            > inspire Christian values in the Russian military? ?As an American-
            > born Christian of Russian heritage, I am deeply insulted and MSNBC
            > has lost another viewer.
            >

            > Rev. Alex Kotar
            >
            > Seattle, WA

            > Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Sect of judaism

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • michael nikitin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
              Why doesn't MP recognize the Sainthood of St.Joseph of Petrograd?

              Why is this admiral's elevation to Sainthood not questioned, but Holy Metr. Philaret's is?

              When union occurs, what can/will ROCOR do if MP glorifies Metr.Sergius to Sainthood?
              Is it possible we can pray to him as a Saint?

              http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050926/od_afp/russiareligionmilitaryoffbeat

              Michael N

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                Yes, this is all true and well-known. The point
                made in the original letter was about Adm.
                Ushakov's repelling of the Napoleonic invasion -
                of Russia, I thought, rather than Italy or the
                Archipelago.

                GB

              • orthodoxchurch_sg
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@y...> wrote:

                  It must be this affinity for the kidnappers that victims sometime
                  develop after prolonged captivity.

                  Evlogeite!
                  Maybe that explains retired Vl Vitaly's situation.
                  God bless / Fr Daniel