Re: [orthodox-synod] lost e-mail addresess

  • dutikow
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 1943
      Dear Gennady...I took the pilgrimage list and spend hours putting in all
      that I knew....but I am still missing a lot...nothing new, only what you
      read on the net...with our best, Mat. Irina
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 1943
        Dear List,

        Let us pray God that He never allow us to lose the address of the
        True Church.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "dutikow" <dutikow@j...> wrote:
        > Dear Gennady...I took the pilgrimage list and spend hours putting
        in all
        > that I knew....but I am still missing a lot...nothing new, only
        what you
        > read on the net...with our best, Mat. Irina

      • DDD
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 1943
          Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern California--I see the wildfires are still raging nearby...

          Thanks,
          Dimitra
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 1943
            Dimitra wrote:

            > Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern California--I see the
            wildfires are still raging nearby...

            JRS: Fr. Alexander posted on another list today, and did not say anything about his situation,
            so at least he is OK.

          • DDD
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 1943
              Slava Bogu. Thank you, Fr. John!

              --Dimitra

              Dimitra wrote:

              > Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern California--I see the
              wildfires are still raging nearby...

              JRS: Fr. Alexander posted on another list today, and did not say anything about his situation,
              so at least he is OK.

            • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 1943
                Dimitra wrote:

                >Does anyone know if Fr. Alexander Lebedev is OK there in southern
                >California--I see the wildfires are still raging nearby...
                >
                >Thanks,
                > Dimitra

                Dear Dimitra and all of the others who have enquired about our well
                being and the situation of our home with regard to the wildfires.

                Glory be to God, we are well, and our house has been spared.

                We live in the foothills above the San Fernando Valley, in a small
                community called Bell Canyon, which was in the midst of the path of
                the brush fire that roared across the mountain canyons last week.

                On Wednesday last, in the early afternoon, we heard on the news that
                a serious brush fire has started in Chatsworth and was moving
                Southwest--in our home's direction. We decided to move Matushka's
                mother, who is 91, out of any danger, driving her to her son's house.
                Meanwhile, we remained calm, expecting that the fires would pass our
                community by, as they had on two occasions in the past. We served a
                supplicatory canon to the Mother of God, asking for Her protection
                and proceeded to prepare dinner.

                At about 8 p.m., a Ventura County Sheriff's vehicle pulled up, and
                informed us that the fire was approaching and he suggested that we
                make preparations in case we would have to evacuate. He also was
                performing a survey, taking down the names of all residents,
                visitors, and workers found in Bell Canyon at that time.

                We began to load up the vehicles with our most treasured
                belongings--icons, irreplaceable church books, family pictures,
                diplomas, certificate of ordination, etc., as well as necessities,
                such as medications and toiletries--not to mention the home computer
                (just the box) and external disk drive. Matushka insisted on
                evacuating with all her hats.

                By this time, we could see much more than just a red glow in the sky.
                I took some pictures of the approaching firestorm, and noted a tree
                outlined against the sky on the ridge closest to our house. I
                said--"if that tree goes, we're out of here."

                Fifteen minutes later, the tree was spectacularly ablaze. By this
                time, we could see the fires coming down the hills toward our house
                from three sides. The fires roared up the hill toward a house across
                the way from us, and we could see the balcony of the house begin to
                burn. We were sure that house would be lost, but an aerial drop of
                water extinguished the flames. (It should be noted that air
                operations (water drops and chemical retardant drops) normally cease
                at sundown for safety reasons, but they continued into the night for this fire.

                With only one road into and out of Bell Canyon, it was clear that it
                was time to leave. As we decided this, confirmation came from
                sheriff's vehicles announcing, using bullhorns, announcing mandatory
                evacuation.

                It should be noted that this is horse country, and many of the homes
                in the area have their own stable facilities. Horse trailers began
                arriving and the staging area for loading them was directly below our
                house. It was heart-rending to see these magnificent animals so
                obviously frightened by the smoke and the flames visible from all sides.

                We loaded up our cars with our own animals (a very big dog and a very
                small dog, both quite excited about this adventure) and left the
                house in God's hands.

                That night, we slept in our cars, with the animals.

                In the morning, the fate of the homes in Bell Canyon was not clear.
                All we could see was towering smoke above our area, and helicopters
                and planes flying all over.

                That day, we were not allowed back into the canyon at all. After many
                phone calls, we finally were able to find a hotel that would take us
                with our animals, and stayed there the second night, watching the
                news reports on television, which continuously talked about Bell
                Canyon being the place where the fiercest battles with the blaze were
                occurring, and where the most "hot spots" were. The most encouraging
                news was that only one home was reported to have been destroyed.

                In the morning we were able to reach the Bell Canyon guard gate and
                were informed that residents with identification were being allowed
                back in. We drove in and were appalled at the sight of the hills
                surrounding Bell Canyon completely blackened--and many of the
                interior roads showed areas around the homes that were blackened, as well.

                Our house, thanks to the Protection of the Holy Mother of God, was
                untouched, although from the windows we see how close the flames came
                to many of the houses in our area.

                The firefighters had done an absolutely magnificent job.

                We thank all of you for your prayers.

                With love in Christ,

                Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

              • DDD
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 1943
                  Dear Fr. Alexander, Bless!

                  Thank you very much for the story--very glad and thanking God for you and your family's safety, and also edified, seeing that the Most Holy Mother of God even now guards us under Her holy protection...

                  --Asking your prayers,
                  Dimitra

                • Fr. Alexey Chumakov
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 1943
                    Glory be to God, that you are safe, Fr. Alexander. I saw the flames
                    from the safety of Tarzana, and prayed (probably the same)
                    supplicatory canon to Most HOly Theotokos that you did. However, I did
                    not realise it was THAT close, and I am sorry I was not able to reach
                    you and offer to stay in our house.
                    All the hillsides around were ablaze and it was indeed a frightening
                    sight. Living in the place like this, every time we say those litanies
                    about earthquake and fires - it seems so close to home and heartfealt.