Re: [orthodox-synod] Something changed, indeed

  • for4z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2005
      The documents written and approved by the MP and ROCOR Committees on Unity stipulate that not
      all actions of certain hierarchs in the Soviet Union are to be necesarily considered correct and right. This actually seems to confirm the troparion to St. Joseph of St. Petersburg, which also mentions that not all "brothers...could...stand firm in the Truth."

      Actually, most of us "do not stand firm in the [absolute] Truth" on a daily basis, as we daily and constantly sin. Hierarchs, as all individuals, will have to answer for their own, personal sins. I do not see the need or spiritual benefit in studying history to analyze others' sins of the past.

      Church history knows moments when saintly hierarchs, such as St. Basil the Great, refrained from certain exact proclamations, right as they might have been, in order for the believers to be at peace, commune from the same chalice, and for Christ's Body to stop being torn apart.

      If the posting that I'm responding to implies that the Church that wrote the troparion is different than today's ROCOR, I wonder which Church this could possibly be. The posting certainly cannot be referring to the Mansonville group, because there we find lack of episcopal apostolic succession, which, in my opinion, is incomparably worse and more dangerous than having a sinful or weak bishop, and automatically disavows a church of Orthodoxy.

      -Nick Zaharov