Statement by His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus

  • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2005
      Statement by His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus

      During these days, as we mourn over the consequences of Hurricane
      Katrina, I call upon all to raise their prayers for the dead and the
      suffering, their relatives, the rescuers and others who lend their
      help and support.

      I pray before the Kurk-Root Icon of the Mother of God, the main holy
      icon of our Church, with the hope that the Most-Blessed Virgin will
      strengthen and console everyone, including Priest Alexander Logunov
      and the parishioners of St John of Shanghai Community in Mobile,
      Alabama, whose church suffered damage.

      The Gospel shows us that the Mother of God possessed true humility.
      She always accepted the will of God, subjecting and submitting
      herself totally to it, remembering that everything¬óboth the good and
      the fearsome¬óis a gift from God. Let us try to follow Her example and
      look upon all things that happen to us in this life in this vale of
      sorrows in the same way, for Divine will sends all things to man for
      his own benefit, as we sing during the pannikhida: "Thou only Creator
      Who, with wisdom profound, mercifully orderest all things, and givest
      that which is useful to all men." And only then, with God's help,
      will we acquire true spiritual peace and consolation. I wish this
      with all my heart for those "weeping and mourning, seeking the
      consolation of Christ" during these days.

      +Metropolitan Laurus,
      First Hierarch of the
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

      September 8, 2005