Re: Use of

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος
      <sbuatl@c...> wrote:

      "μακάριοςκαιευλογητόςεν Χριστώ
      αγάπης,Στέφανος"

      and

      "«μακάριος»
      «μακάριος»
      «ÎµÏ…λογητÏÅ'ς»"

      Hmmmm. Let me guess. The first one is Persian and the second is Klingon?

      Michael Malloy
      Columbus OH
    • David Constantine Wright
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
        --- Anna Voellmecke <anna@...> wrote:

        > It looks like garbage to me. I agree with Fr. John. Why

        I set my browser's encoding to unicode and it worked just
        fine.

        > should we change?

        Now who's stubborn?

        In the Joy of the Risen Lord,
        Rd. David-Constantine

        | Reader David-Constantine Wright constantinewright@... |
        | Personal Website: http://constans_wright.tripod.com |
        | "God became Human so that humans could become gods." |
        | St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation* |

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • DDD
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
          Does anyone know whether Mozilla mail will view these words properly, or can be set to change encodings? I use PocoMail now because of its security and organization, but might switch if I could view Russian and Greek in my e-mails properly.

          Thanks,
          Dimitra

          <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
          > Stephen wrote:
          > >
          > > The words were:   μακάÏ?ιος   και
          ευλογητός.

          > > ÎµÎ½ Î§Ï?ιστώ αγάπης,
          > > Î£Ï„έφανος

        • Rdr. Paul Wright
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
            Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
            message and then
            clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
            If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select it.

            Paul Wright
          • Rdr. Paul Wright
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
              Sorry, That should read Microsoft Outlook Express, not Internet Explorer.

              Paul
              > Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
              > message and then
              > clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
              > If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select
              it.

              > Paul Wright

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Anna Voellmecke
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                At 08:58 PM 9/2/2005, you wrote:
                >Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                >message and then
                >clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                >If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select it.

                Way too much work. The writer of a message requiring that much effort
                is not very interested in having his post read.

                Anna V.
              • Michael Malloy
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I'm sure I missed some subtle point earlier in this thread. I can only
                  wonder at this point why the rendering of Greek texts over the
                  internet would be of any interest to members of the Synod? Aside from
                  comparing "original source" materials to another language, why does it
                  matter?

                  Isn't the Synod list devoted to discussions about the Russian Orthodox
                  Church Outside Russia? I come to this list to learn what is going on
                  within the Synod. I am delighted to read interesting topics directly
                  related to the ROCOR written by certain very well educated members of
                  the list.

                  Is it time to retire this thread?

                  Michael Malloy
                  Columbus OH
                • Stephen/Στέφανος
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                    Dimitra,

                    Mozilla Mail is the BEST! This is what I use....... i.e. the
                    Mozilla Suite. It always displays everything correctly (as long as
                    the sender sent the e-mail in the correct encoding for the language or
                    sent it in Unicode, which accommodates all languages).

                    You can also use Firefox and Thunderbird if you want separate e-mail and
                    browser programs; but why would one. The Mozilla Suite has all in
                    one program: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

                    ONLY in Unicode can you display Cyrillic, Greek and Latin alphabets at
                    the same time in the same e-mail. Greek encoding, for example will
                    only allow you to display Greek and English. Western encoding will
                    only allow you to display Western European languages. Unicode will
                    allow you to display all these languages within the same e-mail.

                    Stephanos

                    DDD wrote:

                    > Does anyone know whether Mozilla mail will view these words properly,
                    > or can be set to change encodings? I use PocoMail now because of its
                    > security and organization, but might switch if I could view Russian
                    > and Greek in my e-mails properly.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Dimitra
                    >
                    > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw"
                    > <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
                    > > Stephen wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και
                    > ευλογητός.
                    > > >
                    > > > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
                    > > > Στέφανος

                    > Orthodox
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=9z_98S7cLuo1qgTtYSQDCQ>
                    > Orthodox church
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=FbydnGTjYH42LK_poVO-zg>
                    > Greek orthodox church
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Greek+orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=j51PDEVujxZm9ysHhvw5CQ>
                    >
                    > Sect of judaism
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sect+of+judaism&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=26YJHUwlbR2o-3xOQAPEFA>

                  • aprmih
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                      Two clicks of the mouse is too much work??? Yikes!

                      Alex

                      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Anna Voellmecke <anna@o...>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                        Alex wrote:

                        > Two clicks of the mouse is too much work??? Yikes!

                        JRS: I tried repeatedly to decode those Greek words, both in my mailbox and by going to the
                        website.

                        Not everyone has the same computer programs.

                        If someone wants his remarks to be read, it is up to him to make them legible.

                      • aprmih
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                          Hmmm, that's very strange Father. I don't know what email program
                          you're using (for what it's worth, I use outlook express) but at
                          least the website should've worked... if you're using MS-IE. I just
                          tried it:
                          View -> Enconding -> More -> Unicode (UTF-8)... not that it did any
                          good because... (drum roll please)...it's all greek to me!

                          Alex