Re: Use of

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος
      <sbuatl@c...> wrote:

      "μακάριοςκαιευλογητόςεν Χριστώ
      αγάπης,Στέφανος"

      and

      "«μακάριος»
      «μακάριος»
      «ÎµÏ…λογητÏÅ'ς»"

      Hmmmm. Let me guess. The first one is Persian and the second is Klingon?

      Michael Malloy
      Columbus OH
    • David Constantine Wright
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
        --- Anna Voellmecke <anna@...> wrote:

        > It looks like garbage to me. I agree with Fr. John. Why

        I set my browser's encoding to unicode and it worked just
        fine.

        > should we change?

        Now who's stubborn?

        In the Joy of the Risen Lord,
        Rd. David-Constantine

        | Reader David-Constantine Wright constantinewright@... |
        | Personal Website: http://constans_wright.tripod.com |
        | "God became Human so that humans could become gods." |
        | St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation* |

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • James Baglien
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
          <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
          > Stephen wrote:
          > >
          > > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και
          ευλογητός.

          > > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
          > > Στέφανος
          >
          > JRS: That's what I call stubborn.
          >
          > In Christ
          > Fr. John R. Shaw

          The default settings for Netscape Mail (v. 7.2) render the Greek
          characters perfectly.

          Priest James

          (yes, there's still a Netscape, and those of us who use it are rarely
          -- or never -- troubled by spyware, even under Windows) :-)
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
            > The default settings for Netscape Mail (v. 7.2) render the Greek
            > characters perfectly.
            >
            > Priest James
            >
            > (yes, there's still a Netscape, and those of us who use it are rarely
            > -- or never -- troubled by spyware, even under Windows) :-)

            JRS: My congratulations.

            I do not have Netscape anymore. I did try viewing the messages from the list website instead
            of in my mailbox; but that did not help.

            If the rest of us can transliterate Greek words when we type in English, that seems like a
            simpler solution to me, than asking people to change their e-mail systems or to get a
            different internet browser, in order to see what somebody refuses to type in Roman letters.

          • DDD
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
              Does anyone know whether Mozilla mail will view these words properly, or can be set to change encodings? I use PocoMail now because of its security and organization, but might switch if I could view Russian and Greek in my e-mails properly.

              Thanks,
              Dimitra

              <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
              > Stephen wrote:
              > >
              > > The words were:   μακάÏ?ιος   και
              ευλογητός.

              > > ÎµÎ½ Î§Ï?ιστώ αγάπης,
              > > Î£Ï„έφανος

            • Rdr. Paul Wright
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                message and then
                clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select it.

                Paul Wright
              • Rdr. Paul Wright
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Sorry, That should read Microsoft Outlook Express, not Internet Explorer.

                  Paul
                  > Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                  > message and then
                  > clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                  > If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select
                  it.

                  > Paul Wright

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Anna Voellmecke
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                    At 08:58 PM 9/2/2005, you wrote:
                    >Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                    >message and then
                    >clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                    >If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select it.

                    Way too much work. The writer of a message requiring that much effort
                    is not very interested in having his post read.

                    Anna V.
                  • Michael Malloy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                      I'm sure I missed some subtle point earlier in this thread. I can only
                      wonder at this point why the rendering of Greek texts over the
                      internet would be of any interest to members of the Synod? Aside from
                      comparing "original source" materials to another language, why does it
                      matter?

                      Isn't the Synod list devoted to discussions about the Russian Orthodox
                      Church Outside Russia? I come to this list to learn what is going on
                      within the Synod. I am delighted to read interesting topics directly
                      related to the ROCOR written by certain very well educated members of
                      the list.

                      Is it time to retire this thread?

                      Michael Malloy
                      Columbus OH
                    • Stephen/Στέφανος
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                        Dimitra,

                        Mozilla Mail is the BEST! This is what I use....... i.e. the
                        Mozilla Suite. It always displays everything correctly (as long as
                        the sender sent the e-mail in the correct encoding for the language or
                        sent it in Unicode, which accommodates all languages).

                        You can also use Firefox and Thunderbird if you want separate e-mail and
                        browser programs; but why would one. The Mozilla Suite has all in
                        one program: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

                        ONLY in Unicode can you display Cyrillic, Greek and Latin alphabets at
                        the same time in the same e-mail. Greek encoding, for example will
                        only allow you to display Greek and English. Western encoding will
                        only allow you to display Western European languages. Unicode will
                        allow you to display all these languages within the same e-mail.

                        Stephanos

                        DDD wrote:

                        > Does anyone know whether Mozilla mail will view these words properly,
                        > or can be set to change encodings? I use PocoMail now because of its
                        > security and organization, but might switch if I could view Russian
                        > and Greek in my e-mails properly.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Dimitra
                        >
                        > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw"
                        > <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
                        > > Stephen wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και
                        > ευλογητός.
                        > > >
                        > > > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
                        > > > Στέφανος

                        > Orthodox
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=9z_98S7cLuo1qgTtYSQDCQ>
                        > Orthodox church
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=FbydnGTjYH42LK_poVO-zg>
                        > Greek orthodox church
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Greek+orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=j51PDEVujxZm9ysHhvw5CQ>
                        >
                        > Sect of judaism
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sect+of+judaism&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=26YJHUwlbR2o-3xOQAPEFA>

                      • aprmih
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                          Two clicks of the mouse is too much work??? Yikes!

                          Alex

                          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Anna Voellmecke <anna@o...>

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                            Alex wrote:

                            > Two clicks of the mouse is too much work??? Yikes!

                            JRS: I tried repeatedly to decode those Greek words, both in my mailbox and by going to the
                            website.

                            Not everyone has the same computer programs.

                            If someone wants his remarks to be read, it is up to him to make them legible.

                          • aprmih
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                              Hmmm, that's very strange Father. I don't know what email program
                              you're using (for what it's worth, I use outlook express) but at
                              least the website should've worked... if you're using MS-IE. I just
                              tried it:
                              View -> Enconding -> More -> Unicode (UTF-8)... not that it did any
                              good because... (drum roll please)...it's all greek to me!

                              Alex