Forthcoming Mission trip

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Apologies for the long quiet. A retinal detachment and consequent surgery
      in June prevented the trip scheduled for that month, and two months of
      severe visual disturbance in its aftermath harshly restricted my tolerance
      for screen work (and thus this kind of note). Recovery continues, for up to
      a year says the surgeon, but it seems all is well on course.

      The past months in Haiti were seriously disturbed, with much targeted and
      random violence and many deaths, compounded by the beating the country took
      from hurricanes (Katrina mercifully bypassed Haiti). The situation was
      indeed so serious that it would have been of questionable wisdom to travel
      as planned in June, or at any time later in the summer. Mercifully, at
      least for the moment the country is relatively quiet and, God willing, I'll
      be leaving next Wednesday (9/7) for a two-week visit: celebration of the
      temple feast at the Chapel of St. Moses the Black in Fontamara, presence at
      Nativity for the annual visit of the "Inpspector of Cults", a visit to St.
      Augustine's at Jacmel to review ongoing construction of a temporary church
      building (later to serve as a parish hall) and make plans for its
      continuation, travel to Les Cayes for my first opportunity to serve Divine
      Liturgy there (Fr. Grégoire has already served a couple of times), then back
      to Nativity for its temple feast. Destruction of a critical bridge by one
      of the hurricanes on the route to Les Cayes now makes a 4WD vehicle
      essential for that trip.

      Fr. Grégoire reports the satisfactory conclusion of a six-week summer series
      of conferences on the Orthodox Faith at Nativity in Port-au-Prince, held
      throughout the day on Saturdays preceding the vigil. The conferences were
      very well attended, by faithful and inquirers alike. He voices the need for
      correspondence courses in Orthodox theology and tradition for some of the
      more active participants (in French, of course). Such an undertaking is
      beyond my abilities. Perhaps the Lord will reveal someone with the
      necessary skills?!

      I ask your prayers for a peaceful and fruitful visit, and promise a more
      timely update upon my return.

      In Christ Jesus,
      Fr. Gregory Williams

      The Saint John of Kronstadt Press
      The Haitian Orthodox Mission
      The Orthodox Church of the Annunciation/Agape Community
      1180 Orthodox Way
      Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

      Catalog of books & recordings: www.sjkp.org
      Information on the Haitian Mission: www.orthodoxhaiti.org