Re:[orthodox-synod]Re: Glorifications by HOCNA [was:Canonization by HOCNA)

    Message 1 of 60 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin <nikitinmike@y...> wrote:

      > > Does the seminary at Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville use the term canonize or
      glorify
      > > when you were a seminarian?

      JRS: The following text was quoted earlier today, on another list:

      "A Report of Bishop Nektary [Kontzevich] of Seattle, [of Blessed
      Memory], concerning

      "THE CANONIZATION OF THE NEW MARTYRS AND CONFESSORS OF RUSSIA

      "Read at the Conference of Russian Youth in San Francisco, July
      25/August 8, 1981

      "A man who "believes according to his own opinion" leads himself out
      of the enclosure of the Church, depriving himself of the Holy
      Mysteries and the supernatural grace of the Holy Spirit. This man
      perishes from frightful spiritual sickness the PRIDE OF THE MIND
      since he considers himself wiser than the Holy Fathers of the
      Ecumenical Councils, who with the Holy Spirit expounded the dogmas
      and rules of the Church. He who "believes according to his own
      opinion" considers himself wiser than the Saints and Fathers who
      attained sanctity in the bosom of the Orthodox Church. And, finally,
      he who "believes according to his own opinion" considers the Holy
      Church imperfect and with this places himself higher than Christ,
      Who, it seems, has not created a perfect Church. He who "believes
      according to his own opinion" does not notice how he places himself
      in the ranks of the enemies of Christ, confessing a frightful
      contemporary heresy Ecumenism. This is frightful pride and blasphemy."
      Orthodox Word Nos 142-143.
    • vkozyreff
      Message 60 of 60 , Sep 10, 2005
        Dear Gene,

        What you are doing is just making a statement. It contributes to
        nothing.

        Saying: "to call it a church is a bit of overstatement" is just a
        declaration. You just express your position, which has been known for
        a while.

        Moreover, you use words like "disgraceful", "their own reasons". I
        have no own reasons in this matter, I can assure you, nor do all
        those who lost their church and their friends in my surrounding.

        If I were to do the same as you, I would just state "there is indeed
        such a thing as ROCOR (V)", and I would add a few derogatory details
        about compromises, reasons why treasons occur, etc.

        Of course, it would add nothing to the search of the truth. It would
        just add to hatred and irritation. It is so little in Jesus' style.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@y...> wrote:
        > Come on Mikhael,
        >
        > there is no such thing as ROCOR(V)
        > there is retired Mp. Vitaly residing in Mansonville
        > there are several ROCOR old times rightly upset at his disgracefull
        treatment
        > plus a whole lot of assorted weirdos who hang out there for their
        own reasons that have nothing to with ROCOR
        > to call it a church is a bit of overstatement
        >
        > Gene T
        >

        > michael nikitin <nikitinmike@y...> wrote:
        > So ROCOR(L) is in communion with the St.Herman of Alaska
        Brotherhood whom they defrocked. This is sad.

        > I call ROCOR under Metr.Laurus ROCOR(L) and ROCOR under Metr.Vitaly
        ROCOR(V). One seems to hold to what we had under Holy Metr.Philaret
        while the other serves with those whom they defrocked. Will the real
        ROCOR please stand up?

        > Shouldn't we un-defrock them...if we can? This is embarassing at
        the least and uncanonical.
        > One can only imagine with whom we'll concelebrate once we unite
        with MP.

        > We're losing something. It's either grace or our minds...or both.
        >
        > Michael N
        >

        > "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
        > Athanasios Jayne wrote:
        >
        > > The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, in Platina,
        > > was received some time ago into the Serbian
        > > Patriarchate. Thus, we in ROCOR are in full
        > > Communion with them.
        >
        > JRS: (1) That still does not make it a "ROCOR calendar".
        >
        > (2) The Serbian Church has surely not added the name of Fr.
        Seraphim Rose to the calendar
        > of Saints.
        >
        > (3) While in ROCOR, the Platina brotherhood began issuing icons of
        St. John Maximovitch
        > when he had not been recognized yet as a Saint in ROCOR.
        >
        > (4) If, in fact, their calendar (which I haven't even seen) really
        does call Fr. Seraphim Rose a
        > Saint, such is only the private view of the publishers.
        >
        > In Christ
        > Fr. John R. Shaw

        Service.