Re: [orthodox-synod] Use of

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
      Bless, Father!

      All of my e-mails are sent in "Unicode UTF-8" which accommodates all
      alphabets. Since I communicate in several languages, I always send my
      e-mails in Unicode. Most e-mail programs automatically detect what
      encoding a message was sent and display it as such. You may have your
      mail program set to ignore the encoding of the e-mail message, and to
      display it in Western-ISO-8859-1 .

      The words were: μακάριος και ευλογητός.

      εν Χριστώ αγάπης,
      Στέφανος

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
        Stephen wrote:

        > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και ευλογητός.
        >
        > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
        > Στέφανος

        JRS: That's what I call stubborn.

      • Stephen/Στέφανος
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
          LOL! Father, you were still unable to read it, even after changing
          the encoding to Unicode in your mail program??

          Stephanos

          Fr. John R. Shaw wrote:

          > Stephen wrote:
          > >
          > > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και ευλογητός.
          > >
          > > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
          > > Στέφανος
          >
          > JRS: That's what I call stubborn.
          >
          > In Christ
          > Fr. John R. Shaw

          > Orthodox
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=9z_98S7cLuo1qgTtYSQDCQ>
          > Orthodox church
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=FbydnGTjYH42LK_poVO-zg>
          > Greek orthodox church
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Greek+orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=j51PDEVujxZm9ysHhvw5CQ>
          >
          > Sect of judaism
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sect+of+judaism&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=26YJHUwlbR2o-3xOQAPEFA>

        • Anna Voellmecke
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
            At 07:51 PM 9/1/2005, you wrote:
            >LOL! Father, you were still unable to read it, even after changing
            >the encoding to Unicode in your mail program??

            It looks like garbage to me. I agree with Fr. John. Why should we
            change? You are corresponding in English, which as a writer-dependant
            language. Transliterate the passage into Latin letters or drop the discussion.

            Anna V.
          • Michael Malloy
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος
              <sbuatl@c...> wrote:

              "μακάριοςκαιευλογητόςεν Χριστώ
              αγάπης,Στέφανος"

              and

              "«μακάριος»
              «μακάριος»
              «ÎµÏ…λογητÏÅ'ς»"

              Hmmmm. Let me guess. The first one is Persian and the second is Klingon?

              Michael Malloy
              Columbus OH
            • David Constantine Wright
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                --- Anna Voellmecke <anna@...> wrote:

                > It looks like garbage to me. I agree with Fr. John. Why

                I set my browser's encoding to unicode and it worked just
                fine.

                > should we change?

                Now who's stubborn?

                In the Joy of the Risen Lord,
                Rd. David-Constantine

                | Reader David-Constantine Wright constantinewright@... |
                | Personal Website: http://constans_wright.tripod.com |
                | "God became Human so that humans could become gods." |
                | St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation* |

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • James Baglien
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                  <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
                  > Stephen wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και
                  ευλογητός.

                  > > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
                  > > Στέφανος
                  >
                  > JRS: That's what I call stubborn.
                  >
                  > In Christ
                  > Fr. John R. Shaw

                  The default settings for Netscape Mail (v. 7.2) render the Greek
                  characters perfectly.

                  Priest James

                  (yes, there's still a Netscape, and those of us who use it are rarely
                  -- or never -- troubled by spyware, even under Windows) :-)
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                    > The default settings for Netscape Mail (v. 7.2) render the Greek
                    > characters perfectly.
                    >
                    > Priest James
                    >
                    > (yes, there's still a Netscape, and those of us who use it are rarely
                    > -- or never -- troubled by spyware, even under Windows) :-)

                    JRS: My congratulations.

                    I do not have Netscape anymore. I did try viewing the messages from the list website instead
                    of in my mailbox; but that did not help.

                    If the rest of us can transliterate Greek words when we type in English, that seems like a
                    simpler solution to me, than asking people to change their e-mail systems or to get a
                    different internet browser, in order to see what somebody refuses to type in Roman letters.

                  • DDD
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Does anyone know whether Mozilla mail will view these words properly, or can be set to change encodings? I use PocoMail now because of its security and organization, but might switch if I could view Russian and Greek in my e-mails properly.

                      Thanks,
                      Dimitra

                      <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
                      > Stephen wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The words were:   μακάÏ?ιος   και
                      ευλογητός.

                      > > ÎµÎ½ Î§Ï?ιστώ αγάπης,
                      > > Î£Ï„έφανος

                    • Rdr. Paul Wright
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                        message and then
                        clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                        If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select it.

                        Paul Wright
                      • Rdr. Paul Wright
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Sorry, That should read Microsoft Outlook Express, not Internet Explorer.

                          Paul
                          > Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                          > message and then
                          > clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                          > If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select
                          it.

                          > Paul Wright

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Anna Voellmecke
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                            At 08:58 PM 9/2/2005, you wrote:
                            >Any using Internet Explorer can read the Greek letters by opening the
                            >message and then
                            >clicking on View-->Encoding-->Unicode(UTF-8).
                            >If this option doesn't appear immediately, click on More and then select it.

                            Way too much work. The writer of a message requiring that much effort
                            is not very interested in having his post read.

                            Anna V.
                          • Michael Malloy
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                              I'm sure I missed some subtle point earlier in this thread. I can only
                              wonder at this point why the rendering of Greek texts over the
                              internet would be of any interest to members of the Synod? Aside from
                              comparing "original source" materials to another language, why does it
                              matter?

                              Isn't the Synod list devoted to discussions about the Russian Orthodox
                              Church Outside Russia? I come to this list to learn what is going on
                              within the Synod. I am delighted to read interesting topics directly
                              related to the ROCOR written by certain very well educated members of
                              the list.

                              Is it time to retire this thread?

                              Michael Malloy
                              Columbus OH
                            • Stephen/Στέφανος
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                                Dimitra,

                                Mozilla Mail is the BEST! This is what I use....... i.e. the
                                Mozilla Suite. It always displays everything correctly (as long as
                                the sender sent the e-mail in the correct encoding for the language or
                                sent it in Unicode, which accommodates all languages).

                                You can also use Firefox and Thunderbird if you want separate e-mail and
                                browser programs; but why would one. The Mozilla Suite has all in
                                one program: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

                                ONLY in Unicode can you display Cyrillic, Greek and Latin alphabets at
                                the same time in the same e-mail. Greek encoding, for example will
                                only allow you to display Greek and English. Western encoding will
                                only allow you to display Western European languages. Unicode will
                                allow you to display all these languages within the same e-mail.

                                Stephanos

                                DDD wrote:

                                > Does anyone know whether Mozilla mail will view these words properly,
                                > or can be set to change encodings? I use PocoMail now because of its
                                > security and organization, but might switch if I could view Russian
                                > and Greek in my e-mails properly.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Dimitra
                                >
                                > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw"
                                > <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
                                > > Stephen wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > The words were: μακάÏ?ιος και
                                > ευλογητός.
                                > > >
                                > > > εν ΧÏ?ιστώ αγάπης,
                                > > > Στέφανος

                                > Orthodox
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=9z_98S7cLuo1qgTtYSQDCQ>
                                > Orthodox church
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=FbydnGTjYH42LK_poVO-zg>
                                > Greek orthodox church
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Greek+orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=j51PDEVujxZm9ysHhvw5CQ>
                                >
                                > Sect of judaism
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sect+of+judaism&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=26YJHUwlbR2o-3xOQAPEFA>

                              • aprmih
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                                  Two clicks of the mouse is too much work??? Yikes!

                                  Alex

                                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Anna Voellmecke <anna@o...>

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                                    Alex wrote:

                                    > Two clicks of the mouse is too much work??? Yikes!

                                    JRS: I tried repeatedly to decode those Greek words, both in my mailbox and by going to the
                                    website.

                                    Not everyone has the same computer programs.

                                    If someone wants his remarks to be read, it is up to him to make them legible.

                                  • aprmih
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                                      Hmmm, that's very strange Father. I don't know what email program
                                      you're using (for what it's worth, I use outlook express) but at
                                      least the website should've worked... if you're using MS-IE. I just
                                      tried it:
                                      View -> Enconding -> More -> Unicode (UTF-8)... not that it did any
                                      good because... (drum roll please)...it's all greek to me!

                                      Alex