Re: [orthodox-synod] Use of "Blessed" as a title for Saints

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      All of what people have posted, may all be true; but in all of the four
      remaining "Ancient" Patriarchates (Jerusalem, Constantinople, Antioch
      and Alexandra), the Churches of Greece and Cyprus, all the Churches
      that follow Greek usage...... the term «μακάριος» (blessed) is
      traditionally reserved for one whom people believe to be a Saint, but
      whom the Holy Church has not yet officially proclaimed thus.

      We must also remember that there are two words in Greek «μακάριος» and
      «ευλογητός». Both are usually translated as blessed in English, but
      have slightly different meanings. My knowledge of Slavonic is very
      limited, I am not sure of the actual/literal meaning of
      «blazheniye». Perhaps those of greater knowledge of Slavonic can
      enlighten me.

      in Christ,
      Stephanos

      Fr. John R. Shaw wrote:

      > Fr James Baglien wrote:
      >
      > > The same usage and custom also exists in Latin, and applies to a
      > > number of prominent pre-Schism saints. For example, in the writings
      > > of St. Gregory of Tours, he invariably refers to his great predecessor
      > > in the cathedra, Martin, as "Blessed Martin."
      >
      > JRS: Many of the Latin chants in honor of great Saints of the Church
      > begin with the word
      > "Beatus" ("Blessed").
      >
      > In one ancient MS. there is even a rubric that the "Kyrie eleison" is
      > to be sung to the melody
      > of "Beatus vir Stephanus" (i.e. Archdeacon St. Stephen, the
      > First-Martyr) -- suggesting a sort
      > of "Podoben"!
      >
      > The medieval antiphoner of Worcester cathedral has no less than 43
      > antiphons, not counting
      > other types of chants, whose first words refer to some Saint as
      > "Blessed": Blessed Stephen,
      > Blessed Laurence, Blessed Vincent, Blessed Agnes, Blessed Agatha...
      >
      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw

      > Orthodox
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=9z_98S7cLuo1qgTtYSQDCQ>
      > Orthodox church
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=FbydnGTjYH42LK_poVO-zg>
      > Greek orthodox church
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Greek+orthodox+church&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=j51PDEVujxZm9ysHhvw5CQ>
      >
      > Sect of judaism
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sect+of+judaism&w1=Orthodox&w2=Orthodox+church&w3=Greek+orthodox+church&w4=Sect+of+judaism&c=4&s=83&.sig=26YJHUwlbR2o-3xOQAPEFA>

    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Stephanos wrote:

        >All of what people have posted, may all be true; but in all of the four
        >remaining "Ancient" Patriarchates (Jerusalem, Constantinople, Antioch
        >and Alexandra), the Churches of Greece and Cyprus, all the Churches
        >that follow Greek usage...... the term ?«???±???¬???????‚?» (blessed) is
        >traditionally reserved for one whom people believe to be a Saint, but
        >whom the Holy Church has not yet officially proclaimed thus.

        So--what do they know???

        They're just a bunch of New-Calendarist, Modernist Ecumenists.

        What do you care about what these
        non-traditional-pseudo-Orthodox think about Traditional Usage???

        With love in Christ,

        and tongue in cheek,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff