Re:[orthodox-synod]Orthodox tradition vs modernization

  • joasia@ca.inter.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      JG: The looseness I was talking about refers to other details of habits the Russians have
      which I will
      not get into.

      JRS: The trouble is that they tend to be rather stubborn about that "looseness". The
      clergy
      often feel forced to tolerate their parishioners' ways, rather than have them drop out of
      the
      church.

      I understand this dilemma. And that is my main point. The general Russian laity, mainly
      North
      American, are not educated in the blessed Orthodox traditions. They have become too
      Americanized.
      I would expect this in a catholic church where all the laity are ignorant to any spiritual
      teachings...but I
      also see that the Orthodox generations to come are becoming like them.

      Are the clergy of ROCOR concerned about the loss of Orthodox traditions? Do you ever
      discuss it
      amongst yourselves?

      Joanna
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Joanna G. Wrote:

        > I understand this dilemma. ... The general Russian laity, mainly
        > North
        > American, are not educated in the blessed Orthodox traditions. They have become too
        > Americanized.

        JRS: Actually, it is less the "Americanized generations" than the people who grew up in
        Russia.

        If those raised in America reflect the same problems, it's because they learned certain
        attitudes from their families.

        > Are the clergy of ROCOR concerned about the loss of Orthodox traditions? Do you ever
        > discuss it
        > amongst yourselves?

        JRS: Of course we do.

        However, our first concern is to keep people from falling away from the Church.