[orthodox-synod] Re: Tchaikovsky - Divine Liturgy

  • don wiley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 1999
      Bless!

      At 03:27 PM 6/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >Pyotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky is not a simple personage to write about. If he
      >was "not a believer", he identified with the Orthodox Church, and
      >obviously knew a good deal about its traditions.

      Aonther snip from the booklet that came with the CD.

      P.I.T - writing to his patroness - Nadezhda von Meck (whom he never met)

      "I attend Mass frequently. The liturgy of St John Chrysostom is one of the
      most exalted works of art. Anyone following the liturgy of the Greek
      Orthodox service attentively, trying to comprehend the meaning of each
      ceremony, will be moved to the very depth of his being. I am also very fond
      of evening prayers. There is nothing like entering an ancient church on a
      Satruday, standing in the semi-darkness with the scent of incense wafting
      through the air, lost in deep contemplation to find an answer to those
      perennial questions: wherefore, when, whither, and why? Startled out of my
      pensive mood by the singing of the choir, I abandon myself etnirely to the
      glowing fervour of this enthralling music when the Holy Door opens
      and the tune 'Praise ye the Lord' rings out. This is one of the greatest
      pleasures of my life.

      snip

      "As you can see, I am still bound to the Church by strong ties, but on the
      other hand I have long ceased to believe in the dogma...(sic.) The
      constant inner struggle would be enough to drive me out of my mind were it
      not for music, that great comforter, the most exquisite gift Heaven has
      bestowed on a mankind living in darkness...(sic.) Music is a loyal friend,
      a source of strength and solace, something worth living for."

      When I was in the high school band, many long years ago, we played the
      1812 Overture. And it was a complete trancription of the whole work, with
      clarinets substituting for violins and violas, tubas for bass fiddles. It
      was probably horrible, but it was a window opening for me. Because for the
      first time, I began to relate to classical music. We had such in my home,
      but not the 1812. So, I bought a record, and read the liner notes. And I
      began to understand how music can tell a story. And the the fact that I
      heard the "Marseilles" made sense - Napoleon, eh?

      Since I have been struggling for Orthodoxy, I understand the bells.

      The cannon fire - well that was easy.

      So, Tchaikovsky claims a space in me. Then, I got sheet music of his
      arrangement of the Trisagion. I played it on the piano, and sang it. I like
      it.

      But, also finding that possibly he was not in the Church....I start to
      wonder. And it brings to mind a recurring question:

      How has the Church judged what is worthy of including in the Divine Services?

      Reader Athanasius
      St Nicholas - Fletcher, North Carolina

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod