Catacomb quote

  • DDD
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
      [The following is a quote from ] V. Ya. Vasilevskaya's book The Catacombs of the 20th Century, published in Moscow in 2001. The author was the aunt of Archpriest Alexander Men', who was murdered in the early 1990s. He, by the way, was raised in the Catacomb Church. The Catacombs of the 20th Century consists of extensive recollections by V. Ya. Vasileevskaya and others who took part in the underground Church, including M. S. Zhelnavakova, daughter of S. I. Fudel'. M. S. Zhelnavakova was born in 1931, and now lives in Lipetsk. The following excerpts are taken from her letters, published in The Catacombs of the 20th Century.

      " [...] We prayed in the catacombs, but later, when the churches of the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Lavra were re-opened, and when vast numbers of people surged in, we mixed in with them, not daring to separate ourselves from them, or to harbor any doubts. We neither debated nor philosophized, but accepted the changes around us as necessary, and we submitted joyously, considering it to have been the will of God. And while standing beside the relics of St. Sergius, what after all was there to argue about? He had summoned us, and we had come. Besides, by then, not one of the catacomb pastors was left in the vicinity. I want to state that the Church in hiding is the very same Church that exists today; it was one of its parts."

      From the web site:
      http://www.stjohndc.org/russian/Homilies/e_0206.htm

      --Dimitra