Re: Antioch in Communion with Monophysites?!

  • Athanasios Jayne
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
      "For when the Lord says: "he is judged already,"
      and when the Apostle anathematizes even angels,
      if they teach anything different from what we
      have preached, how can even those who dare all
      things, presume to say that these words refer
      only to the living? Or are they ignorant, or
      is it not rather that they feign to be ignorant,
      that the judgment of anathema is nothing else
      than that of separation from God? FOR THE
      IMPIOUS PERSON, ALTHOUGH HE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN
      VERBALLY ANATHEMATIZED BY ANYONE, NEVERTHELESS
      HE REALLY IS ANATHEMATIZED, HAVING SEPARATED
      HIMSELF FROM THE TRUE LIFE BY HIS IMPIETY."

      --The Decree of the Holy Fifth Ecumenical
      Council.

      "But if anyone at all shall not observe and
      embrace the aforesaid decrees, and teach and
      preach in accordance therewith, but shall
      attempt to set himself in opposition thereto,
      let him be anathema, according to the decree
      already promulgated by the approved holy and
      blessed Fathers, and let him be cast out and
      stricken off as an alien from the number of
      Christians."

      --Canon I of the Holy Sixth Ecumenical
      Council.
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
        Athanasios Jayne wrote:

        > FOR THE
        > IMPIOUS PERSON, ALTHOUGH HE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN
        > VERBALLY ANATHEMATIZED BY ANYONE, NEVERTHELESS
        > HE REALLY IS ANATHEMATIZED, HAVING SEPARATED
        > HIMSELF FROM THE TRUE LIFE BY HIS IMPIETY."
        >
        > --The Decree of the Holy Fifth Ecumenical
        > Council.

        JRS: The above means the same thing as saying that a sinner, while unrepenting, separates
        himself from the True Life.

        However, no one else on earth can be expected to know this for certain. The separation is
        internal, spiritual, and not a matter of Canon Law.

        Deacons, priests, and bishops are all sinners, in varying degrees. But despite that, unless
        they are suspended or defrocked by the Church, their ministrations remain genuine, and the
        faithful are not cut off from the True Life.

        > "But if anyone at all shall not observe and
        > embrace the aforesaid decrees, and teach and
        > preach in accordance therewith, but shall
        > attempt to set himself in opposition thereto,
        > let him be anathema, according to the decree
        > already promulgated by the approved holy and
        > blessed Fathers, and let him be cast out and
        > stricken off as an alien from the number of
        > Christians."
        >
        > --Canon I of the Holy Sixth Ecumenical
        > Council.

        JRS: Note the words: "Let him be anathema", and "let him be cast out"; not: "He is
        automatically anathematized and automatically cast out, by the living action of this Canon".

        Thus it remains up to the hierarchy to decide how to deal with each case, or to take no action
        at all.