Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: the 5th Working Session of the Commissions of the MP and ROCOR

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5 4:26 AM
      Dear Fater Alexander,

      During the negotiations has anyone raised an issue of ROCOR properties in Holy Land very recently taken away from us by MP ? Will those be returned to us ?

      Gene

      "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...> wrote:
      At 07:19 AM 8/4/2005, John Haluska wrote:

      >Regarding the following comment made by Fr. John R. Shaw, the
      >materiel which is presented just after his comment is a direct copy
      >from Moscow's "The Statute of the Russian Orthodox
      >Church".
      >
      >In it, one will find Moscow's specific wording
      >regarding "properties".
      >
      >My questions to Fr. Shaw or Fr. Alexander are:
      >
      >1.
      >"In light of the materiel presented, as quoted directly from
      >Moscow's "Statute", and, of course, the taking into
      >consideration the
      >complexity of the negotiation process and the non submittal of
      >answers prior to consummation of rapprochement/union,

      Not clear what "non-submittal of answers" means. . .where are the submitted
      questions?

      >exactly how
      >will properties now belonging to the Russian Orthodox Church Outside
      >of Russia, (for example: Synod headquarters in Manhattan, Holy
      >Trinity Monastery, the newly built Churches in the Diaspora, the
      >other monasteries, the properties in the Holy Land and elsewhere in
      >the world), be considered once a union is completed?"

      Exactly the same as they now are-- the rightful and inalienable property of
      the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia or
      the Parish (or Monastery) Corporations which currently own them.

      Someone has obviously not read, or not read carefully, the recently
      published documents, which state that after the signing of the Act of
      Canonical Communion, "the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia is
      independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, management, property
      and civil matters."

      "Independent in administrative and property matters. . " What could be
      clearer?

      >2.
      >"With regard to the extremely detailed "questionnaire" asking for
      >minute details with respect to individual parish properties,
      >appurtenances, holdings (monetary and otherwise), et cetera, which
      >were given to the Rectors of Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church
      >Outside of Russia a few years ago, "How will individual parishes and
      >their above-mentioned "properties, holdings, et cetera" be "handled"
      >once the" rapprochement/union" is completed?
      >
      >In other words, once "rapprochement/union" takes place, will the
      >properties, to include individual parishes, which now belong to the
      >Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, 'then' belong to Moscow?"

      No. Not at all. See above.

      By the way, the reason the Synod was interested in parish property issues
      was to ensure that none of its parishes would be able to "depart" for
      "breakaway" jurisdictions. Nothing to do with the Moscow Patriarchate at all.

      >The "Statute" appears to be very explicit/clear regarding these
      >matters. It was an extremely well-drafted legal document which covers
      >all questions.

      First of all--there is no such thing as a document "which covers all
      questions."

      If you are able to draft such a document, John, I am sure large law firms
      would be willing to pay you huge sums of money, either to draft such
      documents, or to keep silent about the possibility of such documents
      existing, as they would obviate the need for lawyers.

      Nonetheless, if you look more carefully than you obviously have at the
      recently published joint commission documents, you will read the following:
      "In accordance with the Act on Canonical Communion, certain additions and
      amendments must be entered into Chapter VII of the Statutes of the Russian
      Orthodox Church ("Self-Governing Churches"),

      Therefore, you are making quotations from a document which will be
      significantly amended to accommodate the specific situation of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, including the issues of its independence
      in administrative and property matters, and selection of the First
      Hierarch, bishops, and establishment or redistricting of dioceses..

      Why quote from a document which simply does not apply, since it has been
      clearly announced that it will be amended for this specific case of the
      Church Abroad?

      The paragraphs of the Statutes which concern parishes and institutions in
      the "distant abroad" apply to parishes and institutions currently under the
      jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. They do not apply, at all, to the
      independently administered Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which
      will continue to be governed by its **own** Statutes, as before.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

    • John Haluska
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5 5:28 AM
        Fr. Alexander,

        Thank you for responding to my questions.

        I now see that they have already been `addressed', and your
        reiteration of their content is most appreciated. Thank you.

        Regarding your statement:

        "Not clear what "non-submittal of answers" means. . .where are
        the
        submitted questions?", I offer the following…

        My phrase "…non-submittal of answers…" referred directly to
        the Synod
        of Bishops statement regarding the non-submittal of information
        during the negotiation process. Perhaps the phrase
        "…non-submittal of
        information…" would have been more appropriate. I apologize.

        Regarding my comment:

        "…Exactly how will properties now belonging to the Russian
        Orthodox
        Church Outside of Russia, (for example: Synod headquarters in
        Manhattan, Holy Trinity Monastery, the newly built Churches in the
        Diaspora, the other monasteries, the properties in the Holy Land and
        elsewhere in the world), be considered once a union is completed?"

        And your response:

        "Exactly the same as they now are-- the rightful and inalienable
        property of
        the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
        or
        the Parish (or Monastery) Corporations which currently own them.

        Someone has obviously not read, or not read carefully, the recently
        published documents, which state that after the signing of the Act of
        Canonical Communion, "the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia is
        independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, management,
        property and civil matters."

        "Independent in administrative and property matters. . " What could be
        clearer?

        I offer the following:

        My obvious non-reading or not reading carefully enough of the
        recently published documents is my error, and I apologize.

        My reading of "The Statute" showed me one thing, and had I
        seen/read
        where these specific portions of "The Statute" were mentioned
        and
        addressed I would not have asked the question. Again, I apologize.

        Clearly, the last portion of the "Statute" materiel quoted refers to
        such
        questions, and "this" was obviously passed over by me,
        according to
        your
        statement. Obviously, this was addressed at the meetings. Thank you.

        You wrote:

        "No. Not at all. See above.

        By the way, the reason the Synod was interested in parish property
        issues
        was to ensure that none of its parishes would be able to "depart" for
        "breakaway" jurisdictions. Nothing to do with the Moscow Patriarchate
        at all."

        My response:

        I understand clearly…now. Thank you.

        In essence then, the properties of the Russian Orthodox Church
        Outside of Russia remain just that, the properties of the Russian
        Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. Forgive the reiteration, but I
        have not had the luxury of having these questions asked nor having
        them answered by anyone who actually knows what is happening. Thank
        you, again.

        You wrote:

[...]

        My response is:

        From the "General Provisions" of "The Statute", as
        follows:

        "3. The jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church shall include
        persons of Orthodox confession living on the canonical territory of
        the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia, Ukraine, Byelorussia,
        Moldavia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kirghizia, Latvia, Lithuania,
        Tajikistan, Turkmenia, Uzbekistan and Estonia and also Orthodox
        Christians living in other countries and voluntarily joining this
        jurisdiction."

        I have a question regarding your quote:

        "…They do not apply, at all, to the independently administered
        Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which will continue to be
        governed by its **own** Statutes, as before…"

        Please bear with me…from what I read, in this portion, it says:

        "…The jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church shall include
        persons of Orthodox confession living on the canonical territory of
        the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia,

        …And also Orthodox Christians living in other countries and
        voluntarily joining this jurisdiction…"

        Does not the phrase,

        "…And also Orthodox Christians living in other countries and
        voluntarily joining this jurisdiction…" apply, as the Russian
        Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will (in the future) be "…
        voluntarily joining…" with Moscow?

        Please clarify, as this is important to me.

        I very much appreciate your taking the time (and patience) to answer
        these questions. To date, I have not been able to ask these and many
        other questions to anyone who can answer them accurately (and
        unbiased), nor have I been allowed for fear of retribution.

        Please forgive me if the questions appear redundant, too simple or
        stupid, but they are questions that deeply concern me.

        John Haluska
      • John Haluska
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5 6:53 AM
          Fr. John,

          Thank you for your reply.

          I meant no aspersion to be cast against you regarding the "comments".

          I realize that they were from the Bishops and I erred in asking in that
          particular "person". Sorry.

          John
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5 7:08 AM
            John Haluska wrote:

            > Therefore, you are making quotations from a document which will be
            > significantly amended to accommodate the specific situation of the
            > Russian
            > Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, including the issues of its
            > independence
            > in administrative and property matters, and selection of the First
            > Hierarch, bishops, and establishment or redistricting of dioceses..
            >
            > Why quote from a document which simply does not apply, since it has
            > been
            > clearly announced that it will be amended for this specific case of
            > the
            > Church Abroad?

            JRS: Fr. Alexander was referring to the decision *about* that document, not quoting the
            document itself.

            > Does not the phrase,
            >
            > "…And also Orthodox Christians living in other countries and
            > voluntarily joining this jurisdiction…" apply, as the Russian
            > Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will (in the future) be "…
            > voluntarily joining…" with Moscow?
            >
            > Please clarify, as this is important to me.

            JRS: Here it is you who are quoting a "document that does not apply". The above refers, as Fr.
            Alexander already stated, to those who belong to the current Moscow Patriarchate dioceses
            and jurisdiction in those places.

            ROCOR will be a separate exarchate within the Russian Church.

            Perhaps this parallel may help you understand:

            The Ecumenical Patriarchate has several "exarchates" in the United States: the Greek
            Archdiocese, but also the Ukrainian, Carpatho-Russian, Belorussian and Albanian
            administrations.

            The bylaws of the Greek Archdiocese do not apply, for example, to the Carpatho-Russian
            Diocese. The latter is also part of the Church of Constantinople, but not of the Greek
            Archdiocese.

            In the case of the Russian Church, there used to be 3 jurisdictions in the United States (the
            Moscow Patriarchate, the American Metropolia, and ROCOR).

            As a result, the parishes that remain directlly under Moscow, are known as "Moscow
            Patriarchate" parishes.

            But once reconciliation is achieved, there is no plan for those parishes to be placed under
            ROCOR (they themselves objected to being placed under the OCA after the autocephaly
            agreement of 1970).

            So, in the USA and elsewhere, there would be separate "exarchates" for the dioceses,
            churches and monasteries that had been directly under the Moscow Patriarchate, and for
            ROCOR, which would retain its own administrative structure.

            Both would be under the Patriarch of Moscow, but they would be separate entities, and the
            rules applying to the exarchates traditionally known as "MP", would not apply to ROCOR.

            Therefore everything pertaining to church property would remain unchanged -- as it is
            today.

            Hope this helps.