Re: [orthodox-synod] Holy Metr.Philaret

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2005
      "Michael Nikitin" wrote:

      > The Ukaze that Dimitra found certainly was sent from Synod. Holy Metr. Philaret did not
      sign it as he was in Australia at the time when this Ukaze was written. And Holy Metr.
      Philaret was very much against it. So, bishops waited til Holy Metr. was visiting Australia and
      quickly passed this Ukaze. That's why in his personal letters Holy Metr. Philaret was thinking
      of retiring.

      JRS: The word in English is "Ukase".

      The bishops (based on remarks to me by Vl. Nikon and later by Vl. Seraphim) were really
      quite unhappy with the frequent, and prolonged, absences of Metropolitan Philaret.

      Indeed, when Archbishop Nikon reposed (on Sept. 4 NS 1976), the Metropolitan was not at
      his funeral.

      Vl. Nikon had, in practice, acted in place of the First Hierarch for some years, since the
      Metropolitan was less and less available.

      Just how far out of touch with things Metropolitan Philaret really was, can be seen from the

      Vl. Nikon spent much of his time at St. Vladimir Memorial Church, in Jackson NJ. This
      magnificent church not only was in a pleasant location, it was also close to other parishes,
      Lakewood and Freewood Acres (which at that time was a larger church community than
      today), Trenton, New Brunswick, and within a Sunday morning drive of many others,
      including the Synodal cathedral (at that time, it took me 90 minutes in weekday traffic to get
      from Jackson to the Synod House).

      But Metropolitan Philaret did not seem to understand this. He was greatly worried as to "what
      would happen", if some church emergency arose, and Vl. Nikon was "not in New York".

      He did not seem to grasp that there were telephone lines, and that to get from the old Bronx
      cathedral (Vl. Nikon's base in NYC) to Synod took as long as from Jackson (the Bronx church
      had no garage, and the neighborhood was such that one did not keep a car on the street, so
      either someone had to come and fetch Vladyka, or else he had to ride the subway, and in
      either case at least an hour would go by before he could be in Synod).

      Therefore, the Metropolitan was constantly expressing concern over Vl. Nikon's being in
      Jackson, and pressuring him to "return to the Bronx".

      On the other hand, he himself (Metropolitan Philaret) often was absent for months at a time,
      and could not be reached by phone. Sometimes his whereabouts were not even certain.

      > Fr. John can ask for a copy of the letters written by Holy Metr. Philaret from the Synod's

      JRS: If such letters are really in the Synodal archives, that in itself would mean they were not
      written by Metropolitan Philaret at all.

      His personal correspondence was written by him, not by a secretary, and he did not keep
      files or copies of his own letters.

      > I am sure they will be more than happy to accommodate their own priest. Fr. John can ask
      Fr. Victor Patapov for a copy of the letter that Holy Metr. Philaret wrote him personally. I am
      sure Fr. Victor won't mind sending him a copy.

      JRS: So you have finally mentioned Fr. Victor's name.

      He did not publish any letters he may have received from the late Metropolitan Philaret.

      The Metropolitan did not keep an archive of the letters he himself actually wrote (and he did
      sometimes write private letters, because I witnessed him asking Fr. Nikita for stamps [and
      not getting them]).

      Therefore, who came up with this text, and who translated it?