Re: [orthodox-synod] It's Time to Get Real

  • Nicholas Steblez
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 20, 2005
      Hristofor <hristofor@...> wrote:
      > NS: I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING SINCE THE ISSUE
      > BEING DEBATED IS THE PROPOSED CHANGE IN RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE
      > ROCOR AND THE MP - SOMETHING "SLICK WILLIE" AND MOST EUROPEAN
      > GOVERNMENTS WOULDN'T CARE ABOUT EVEN IF THEY WERE AWARE OF IT.

      The issue *you* raised was about trying communists after the breakup
      of the USSR, which commenced during Pres Bush Sr and continued
      through the election of Clinton. Since the Party was all-pervasive,
      my question to you remains: exactly who or what organization would
      have tried the communists, where would it have occurred, what
      sentences would you imagine having been meted out?

      NS: I'm afraid you're mistaken my friend, since I raised no issue but, rather, was responding to Fr. Alexander Lebedeff's original message of the 14th of this month, in which he wrote:

      "Some critics of the process have brought out fiery denunciations of
      the Moscow Patriarchate by some of the renowned clerical
      representatives of the Church Abroad--all made during the time when
      the Church in the Soviet Union was under totalitarian oppression--as
      expressing the attitude that we must have toward the Moscow Patriarchate today."

      "This is just the same as if one were to bring out fiery speeches made
      by the President or other political leaders of the United States
      during World War II denouncing Nazi Germany or Japan--and say that
      they reflect the attitude that we should have today toward the
      German or Japanese governments or people."

      NS: So as you can see, it was not the Russian government that was the topic but rather, the ROC/MP, and in that vein, I believe that those clergy who were agents of the bolshevik government should either step down willingly and spend their days in repentance at some monastery or, barring that, an Orthodox Church commission, should investigate the matter for themselves in order to discover who these individuals are and if so convicted by a spiritual court, should be sentenced in the aforementioned manner, or stripped of their priestly offices and expelled from the ROC.

      In Christ,

      Nicholas Steblez