Incomplete Picture ...Again

  • michael nikitin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19 6:39 AM
      Some information I would like to share with everyone.

      Michael N

      Well, Fr. Alexander Lebedeff strikes again. And, as with his slanted
      "excerpts" from the ROCOR 1933 Encyclical to Metr. Sergius, here again
      he is not quite giving us the whole story or complete picture.

      After Vladyka Victor and the other hierarchs in China joined the Moscow
      Patriarchate, Metr. Anastasy declared Shanghai to be a separate eparchy
      and elevated Vladyka John to Archbishop.

      Fr. Alexander's posting (see below, below) should be read together
      with these other accounts:

      1) "Man of God — Archbishop John the Wonderworker"
      (documents compiled by Archpriest Peter Perekrestov)
      http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/john2/sanfrancisco.shtml

      "After World War II, many Russian emigres in Shanghai, including some
      clergy, took Soviet passports. The head of the mission, Archbishop
      Victor, was among those who did so, as was the senior rector of our
      cathedral, Protopresbyter Michael Rogozhin. We, together with Vladika
      John, did not follow this example. I remember that Vladika John
      received an announcement from the Soviet consulate that Archbishop
      Victor was coming to Shanghai. Vladika John gathered together all of
      the clergy and announced that he would not meet with Vladika Victor. We
      supported him in this.

      "When Archbishop Victor arrived in Shanghai from Peking, eight Komsomol
      youth accompanied him as he walked toward the cathedral, where Father
      Michael had just finished a moleben. We watched these events from the
      church house. The next day, it happened I had to meet with Archbishop
      Victor. He called us "Johnites." "Yes, and do you know why we favor
      Vladika John?" I asked him. "If you want to know, I will tell you. Who
      brought Vladika John here? You brought him to us. After Vladika John's
      arrival you yourself came here many times and said to him: 'Vladika
      John, I respect you, I recognize your high standards in life, and you
      are a good leader. Continue in this way. And if the clergy don't listen
      to you, don't hesitate to chastise them/ Vladika, didn't you say these
      things?" "Yes, I did," admitted Vladika Victor. "That's why we listen
      to him. And now you are against Vladika John. You are now a Soviet
      citizen, and it is impossible to have any interaction with you. I am
      Chinese; our clergy remained White, but you are Soviet [Red]. Do as you
      like..."

      Protopresbyter Elias Wen [Arch. John's faithful deacon and priest.]

      ******************************

      2) Also see the account in St. Herman of Alaska's Press "Blessed John"
      by Bishop Savva, pp. 76-77, the chapter "Fearless Champion of True
      Orthodoxy" , wherein is recounted how Arch. John refused to recognize
      Bishop Victor, and continued to serve, although put under ban by
      Vladyka Victor.

      ******************

      3) The English-language journal "One Church" of the Exarchate of the
      Moscow Patriarchate in North America (Vol XII, NN. 9-10, Sept.-Oct.
      1958), p. 228 states:

      "…by Ukaze of Patriarch Alexis of Moscow, dated 27 December 1945, the
      Mission in China was re-united to the Russian Mother Church and the
      break caused by the schismatic activities of the Karlovitz Synod was
      healed. But the perspectives for church work were somewhat clouded by
      the schism in 1946 of the vicar bishop of Shanghai, John Maximovitch,
      who took the lead in an opposition movement against the Patriarch and
      his ruling bishop at Peking. …The schism ended after the establishment
      in China of the People's [Communist] Republic." [I.e., after the
      departure of Vladyka John and his flock abroad.]

      (The above article in "One Church" is a translation of the original
      text which appeared in the "Journal of the Moscow Patriarchate", No.
      10, 1950.)

      So there you have it from the Moscow Patriarchate' own mouth!

      ***************

      4) Jordanville's "Pravoslavnaya Rus", No. 23, 1999, pp. 5-7, has an
      article entitled: "Archbishop John Maximovitch as the Defender of
      Church Property in Shanghai", which gives a detailed account of his
      conflict with Bp. Victor.

      From: Fr. Alexander Lebedeff <lebedeff@...>
      Reply To: orthodox-tradition@yahoogroups.com
      To: orthodoxjurisdictions@yahoogroups.com,
      orthodox-tradition@yahoogroups.com, orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,
      rocaclergy@yahoogroups.com, rocorclergy@yahoogroups.com
      Epistle to the Orthodox Shanghai Flock, August 2, 1946

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff