[orthodox-synod] Re: Orthodox New Testament

  • Symeon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2000
      >>>>> "Arch. Gregory" == Dormition Skete <gocofusa@...> writes:

      Arch. Gregory> Let us share another reason why every Orthodox home
      Arch. Gregory> should have the Orthodox New Testament, rather than
      Arch. Gregory> any other translation.

      Arch. Gregory> King James in the 1600's wanted to be named after
      Arch. Gregory> an Aposlte. So, instead of changing his own name to
      Arch. Gregory> that of an Apostle, he decided to change the name
      Arch. Gregory> of an Apostle to his own. He took the name of the

      Father Gregory,

      I don't want to sound disrespectful (really!), but others on the
      list have already taken issue with this particular point.

      To others who have seen this work:

      Is Archimandrite Gregory's comment indicative of the scholarship
      that went into this new translation? Not being a Bible scholar
      myself, I wouldn't want to be led by the nose by another (albeit
      more subtle) variant of the Orthodox Study Bible type of nonsense
      (which even *I* could see through!).

      The positive comments so far give me hope, though! I would really
      welcome a new translation I could have complete trust it.

      | Symeon | Fredrik Noon, Senior Software Engineer |
      | fcn@... | Apptitude |
      | www.noon.org | fnoon@... +408/574-2206 (USA) |
      |-------------------+---------------------------------------------|
      | pgp key: <ftp://ftp.noon.org/fcn.asc> DH/DSS 4093/1024:7840AC55 |
      | fingerprint: 5FB8 29B0 7F6D 24FA 6AD4 07E4 022E 0C58 7840 AC55 |
    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2000
        I haven't had time to dig into the actual stages of its linguistic
        transformation, but the name James *was* used prior to the KJ Bible as
        the English equivalent of "Jacobus". Thus I have xerox-from-microfilm
        copy of the Sarum Primer in English, printed in the rule of King Henry
        VIII. In that, there is a section giving Epistles and Gospels for most
        Sundays and feasts, and it heads those from "Epistula Jacobi" as "from
        the Epistle of St. James".

        Fr. John R. Shaw
        > > Arch. Gregory> King
        James in the 1600's
        wanted to be named after
        > Arch. Gregory> an Aposlte. So, instead of changing his own name to
        > Arch. Gregory> that of an Apostle, he decided to change the name
        > Arch. Gregory> of an Apostle to his own. He took the name of the
        >
        > Father Gregory,
        >
        > I don't want to sound disrespectful (really!), but others on the
        > list have already taken issue with this particular point.
        >
        > To others who have seen this work:
        >
        > Is Archimandrite Gregory's comment indicative of the scholarship
        > that went into this new translation? Not being a Bible scholar
        > myself, I wouldn't want to be led by the nose by another (albeit
        > more subtle) variant of the Orthodox Study Bible type of nonsense
        > (which even *I* could see through!).
        >
        > The positive comments so far give me hope, though! I would really
        > welcome a new translation I could have complete trust it.

        > | Symeon | Fredrik Noon, Senior Software Engineer |
        > | fcn@... | Apptitude |
        > | www.noon.org | fnoon@... +408/574-2206 (USA) |
        > |-------------------+---------------------------------------------|
        > | pgp key: <ftp://ftp.noon.org/fcn.asc> DH/DSS 4093/1024:7840AC55 |
        > | fingerprint: 5FB8 29B0 7F6D 24FA 6AD4 07E4 022E 0C58 7840 AC55 |

        > Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name is required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile is visible to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same information to orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

        > Looking for educational tools for you kids?
        > Find everything you need at SmarterKids.com

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=orthodox-synod&m=1

      • Robert Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2000
          When I was in R.C. seminary many years ago, the Latin professor taught that
          Jacobus = James.
          A linguistics professor friend yesterday pointed out that James in Spanish
          is Diego, rather a different word from any of those other names proposed.
          It appears that Fr Gregory's hypotheses may be correct, or may not.

          Jos M

          ----------

        • LJames6034@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2000
            For several hundred years, people have been walking from France into Spain.
            For what reason? They were on pilgrimage to Santiago d' Capostello, where
            the body of St. James is alleged to be buried. St. Iago?

            King James VI and I was baptized in the Roman Church, by his mother, Mary,
            Queen of Scots, doubtless the priest used Latin, so that the baby prince was
            probably called "Jacobus." If so, he was the 6th Jacobus to reign over the
            Scots. His son James VII and II was the last James to rule over the Scots or
            the English. His son, James VIII and III was only de jure, not de facto, king
            of Scots and of Great Britain. The de facto king was George I.

            A Welshman with the family name James has the name, because, in Welsh, an
            "es" ending indicates someone's daughter's son. Hence, there are so many
            Joneses, because Jones really means: "Jon's daughter's son." Think about
            it. Which of you did not have an Uncle John?

            "James," for a Welshman, means "Camb's daughter's son." Cambria? That is
            what the Romans called Cyru, which, in Welsh, means: "Countrymen." That
            is the same people the Saxons called "Waelsa," which is Saxon for
            "foreigner," or perhaps "translator into Latin." The Welsh were a
            thoroughly Latinized people. Indeed, some Welsh historians say the Roman
            Emperor Magnus Maximus was the "Father of Wales."

            Pardon me for thinking that the whole discussion centres around a problem of
            "ethnocentricism," which, like racism, is a form of insanity. But, it is
            a form of madness with which the Orthodox Church (as a whole) is rife.

            Father Andrew (Laurence J. James, Ph.D., knyaz)