[orthodox-synod] Anointed Consorts?

  • Patrick Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2000
      I've been reading a discussion of the status of queens consort in
      Anglo-Saxon England, and was surprised to read that the consort of St. Edgar
      the Peaceful was not only crowned, but anointed.

      Is there any parallel to this in Eastern custom? Were any of the Empresses
      of the Eastern Roman Empire or of Russia anointed? (I mean consorts, not
      Empresses who reigned in their own right.)

      Thanks,

      Patrick Barrett
      patrikios@...

      Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
      The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season