Re: [orthodox-synod] Patriarch proudly poses with NKVD general

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 23 , May 31, 2005
      In all fairness these priest could have been serving in the regular army during WW2 and most of these orders / medals do look like combat decorations BUT the outrageous part of the photo is a man above and to the left of Patriarch who is wearing a vintage NKVD dress uniform with a chest full of real medals and we all know what NKVD officers got decorated for - butchery, including incidently up to 90% of pre-revolutionary clergy. A Russian Orthodox Holocaust so to speak. So there was a certain cognitive dissonance for anyone familiar with Russian history, sort of like a jewish rabbay posing with SS general, mind you, not wermacht general , SS, shutzshtaffel general. A bad, unfortunate choice or a message ? You decide.

      michael nikitin <nikitinmike@...> wrote:I never seen so many medals given to individual clergy. I wonder what they received these medals for ...and who gave them? This is not a Soviet phenomenon, this is Soviet standard practice for a job well done. The Soviet clergy would have to tell what one confessed if asked
      by the KGB. They would have means to test these clergy from time to time to make sure they were not hiding anything.

      It is not how many medals these clergy received that surprises me, but those who defend anything MP, even at the expense of our previous Hierarch's and Saints.

      Michael N

      DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote: I have seen photos of St. John of Kronstadt, before the Revolution of course, with all sorts of medals and ribbons pinned on his riassa. I was as surprised as you are at them time. So, I wouldn't be too quick to call this some kind of soviet phenomenon.

      --Dimitra

      From: "goossir" <irene.goossens@...>
      Subject: Re: Patriarch proudly poses with NKVD general

      XB!

      Just a simple, perhaps stupid question: Is it normal, from the
      point of view of ecclesiology, that clergymen wear military medals
      on their riassas? I had the impression that priests, bishops
      acknowledge only the Holy Cross as the sole exterior sign to be
      exposed on one's breast or am I mistaken?

      Irina Pahlen